Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Longboater
I just read elsewhere, meaning FlightGlobal, that AA is planning on starting service to CAN to connect to their newest partner China Southern. To clarify there are only two weekly slots available to US carriers to fly to PEK/PVG. I assume HAL is the only airline who will consider picking up those two weekly slots in the future in order to increase HNL-PEK to five times weekly. There are seven weekly slots specifically allocated to CAN. UA was awarded SFO-CAN almost ten years ago but never started the route due to the market crash. With AA taking the last daily slot to PEK and Delta finally moving their NRT-PVG slot to ATL-PVG, it can be considered that flights to the PRC are being fully utilised for US fliers. Its only a matter of time before any of the US3 apply for a CAN slot. Since UA never acted upon their original award, I am sceptical they would receive approval, again. After all, UA has turned their attention to secondary cities in the PRC, where slots are unlimited. With over 30 787s in their fleet, if UA was going to try for SFO-CAN again, it likely would have done so. Which leaves Delta and AA likely fighting over it. And again, should Delta decide it wants to apply, it will be over LAX-CAN. Delta has repeatedly stated it cannot more Int'l flights out of SEA until the IAF expansion is complete. But, more importantly, the only relatively big market to CAN is LAX, even with China Southern operating a once daily A380 flight on the route. If there is a competitive process to snatch up the seven weekly slots to CAN, you're guess is as good as mine to what way the DOT will go.
Only AA or UA would fly to CAN at this moment in time. DL has bigger cities to worry about from SEA and LAX. AA would be in the same boat as DL, but the China Southern partnership has the flight make sense. UA is just in such a strong position in China and at SFO that I could see them taking the flight just so AA does not get the slots.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JonNYC
This was already explained to you.
Any news about that TATL rumor you posted...
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
AB is officially cutting routes now. TXL-LAX/SFO/ORD/AUH and DUS-BOS will all be gone by October 1. As for AA filling the void, don't get your hopes up. LH said they were interested in acquiring all 17 of AB's A332s and basing 10 of them at DUS and 2 of them at TXL, with the 2 TXL planes flying to NYC and WAS.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
I would LOVE it if AA started up a CAN route... would simplify my life a lot!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
Any news about that TATL rumor you posted...
Pretty sure the rumors @JonNYC was talking about are the BUD-PHL, PRG-PHL, and VCE-ORD service which AA has since announced.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ashill
Pretty sure the rumors @JonNYC was talking about are the BUD-PHL, PRG-PHL, and VCE-ORD service which AA has since announced.
I am asking about the LHR rumor
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Not AA metal, but as part of the AA/JL JBA, hearing JAL might announce MIA-NRT next month for a spring start.
terryversay likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Thumbs up New from PHL

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171004.html

American will begin daily year-around service from PHL to San Antonio, Texas on Feb. 15, followed by flights to Des Moines, Iowa; Madison, Wisc., and Omaha, Neb., on May 4. The new flights will be available for booking Oct. 9.

Starting March 25, one daily Philadelphia to Los Angeles flight will be operated on a larger Airbus A330-200 aircraft with 247 seats, offering West Coast customers better access to Philadelphia and American’s transatlantic service, the airline said.

Nice to see regularly-scheduled wide-body on that route. Per the linked article, it will be timed for the evening TATL block, so sadly no redeye service.
econometrics likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Flyer78
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171004.html

Nice to see regularly-scheduled wide-body on that route. Per the linked article, it will be timed for the evening TATL block, so sadly no redeye service.
I was going to "like" this, but then it hit me that this may mean one fewer A330-200 on a TATL flight. Am I the only one who finds these planes, in J and in Y, better than the other stuff that AA sends across the ocean?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I was going to "like" this, but then it hit me that this may mean one fewer A330-200 on a TATL flight. Am I the only one who finds these planes, in J and in Y, better than the other stuff that AA sends across the ocean?
I believe year they had at least 1 A332 frame not needed for TATL (I may be wrong), if so, they should be able to run a west coast trip with that and no effect on TATL usage. It would be TATL-PHL-LAX-PHL-TATL I assume with an overnight in LAX. Weekend schedule load should see if that is how its set up.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:22 pm

no 332 pilots, mechanic experience, or parts in LA

very odd not a 763
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by sagechan
I believe year they had at least 1 A332 frame not needed for TATL (I may be wrong), if so, they should be able to run a west coast trip with that and no effect on TATL usage. It would be TATL-PHL-LAX-PHL-TATL I assume with an overnight in LAX. Weekend schedule load should see if that is how its set up.
Yes, I think they have some flexibility with the 332. This past summer they operated a full day PHL-CLT-PHX-PHL 332 rotation.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Using this 332 to do PHL-LAX-PHL (which I assume will RON in LAX) is no different than when they would have a 332 RON at PHL, instead of returning to Europe, and then do a RT PHL-SJU (or CUN)-PHL flight in the morning before flying TATL in the evening. Plus, this gives LAX customers an additional opportunity (besides LHR or via JFK) to fly to several European destinations on a seamless intl J hard product. The question is for the passenger who books a premium economy ticket to Europe on a 332; will it let them choose a PE seat on the segments between LAX and PHL.

Last edited by Fanjet; Oct 4, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
no 332 pilots, mechanic experience, or parts in LA

very odd not a 763
You could say the same thing about any city the 332 flies to in Europe. Why would this matter?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
You could say the same thing about any city the 332 flies to in Europe. Why would this matter?
And likely no different than the 332 rotations on PHL-MIA in previous winters and the upcoming PHL-SFO 332 rotation this winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.