Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Changing a Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings
You may find the Frequent Flyer Number area grayed out, or be unable to change FFN online via aa.com. Alternatives:

Call AA reservations at 800-433-7300.

Tweet @AmericanAir and ask the Twitter team to do it - though the best way is to have them follow you first and then send them a DM to keep your information private.

Request the FFN change at the check-in counter or, if you arrive before they get very busy, the gate.

Using the Finnair or Royal Jordanian website to change your FFN seems to no longer work. (AA use Sabre, several other one world airlines use Amadeus.)

NOTE: If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

From the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link)

Earning AAdvantage Miles

"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

Older and obsolete posts have been moved to ARCHIVE: Changing FFN / Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings

Updated 5 Jul 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Earlier this year, I was flying JFK-LHR-BOM with LHR-BOM on BA. I was on a gifted SWU from JFK-LHR so credited that leg to AA. At LHR, I had to collect my BP and asked the transit agent to change LHR-BOM to BAEC and it showed correctly on BP. I then went to First Lounge where I was asked(correctly) to show my Emerald Card as the BP showed Sapphire(BA). LHR-BOM credited to AA in the end (and I got a ridiculous 638 AA miles for that - with the bonus).

I have a similar trip coming up and both JFK-LHR/LHR-JFK legs have cleared SWU already for next month. I wish I can change to BAEC as the ticket was really cheap using Citi TYP
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:36 am

How to Credit American Flights to Other Loyalty

I see a lot of articles and threads on WHAT you should credit your flights to based on strategies and what not...

I am about to hit EXP and would like to stop collecting Advantage Miles and instead get BAVIOS, CXAM, or EGM....

But I cant seem to find any information on HOW to actually do that...

like when I am booking my American Tix for the rest of the year how do I get points on other Airlines for my american flights

Thanks,
Jay
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by jayaajay
I see a lot of articles and threads on WHAT you should credit your flights to based on strategies and what not...

I am about to hit EXP and would like to stop collecting Advantage Miles and instead get BAVIOS, CXAM, or EGM....

But I cant seem to find any information on HOW to actually do that...

like when I am booking my American Tix for the rest of the year how do I get points on other Airlines for my american flights

Thanks,
Jay
You're literally asking how to credit AA flights to partner programs?

Just change the frequent flyer program/number associated on the bookings you want to credit elsewhere.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Phasers
You're literally asking how to credit AA flights to partner programs?

Just change the frequent flyer program/number associated on the bookings you want to credit elsewhere.

I'd hazard a guess that OP also wants to continue using his EXP benefits while earning other airlines' miles.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I'd hazard a guess that OP also wants to continue using his EXP benefits while earning other airlines' miles.
Yes Basically continue EXP benefits with EQM on AA...but instead of AA RDM...get diff program...BA CX EY

Wouldn't want it to interfere with my status with IRROPs/upgrades...and move me lower down the food chain if I credited elsewhere
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by jayaajay
Yes Basically continue EXP benefits with EQM on AA...but instead of AA RDM...get diff program...BA CX EY

Wouldn't want it to interfere with my status with IRROPs/upgrades...and move me lower down the food chain if I credited elsewhere
You want to have your cake and eat it too.

You can use your EXP status for check-in, lounge access etc. by showing your card but without your EXP number in the booking then you're not getting any upgrades, other than operational ones based on your new oneworld status.

For IRROPs you could always try calling the EXP desk (once you reach oneworld Emerald with your new carrier it'll direct you there anyways) but you're hoping for some manual intervention there, because there's no way AA will pick up on your EXP status when there's another FFP in the booking.

You could always change your FFP number in the lounge once your upgrade has cleared but obviously you'll miss out on any gate/"battlefield" upgrades.

Last edited by Fraser; Jul 26, 2017 at 12:29 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I simply want to credit my AA flights to AS.
I sign on to AA.com using my AA credentials, so all the "traveler info" fields are pre-populated for me, including my AAdvantage#. When I update the FFN to AS, it thinks I'm trying to "create new passenger" and makes me fill out all the traveler info fields. Very aggravating.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by steve64
I simply want to credit my AA flights to AS.
I sign on to AA.com using my AA credentials, so all the "traveler info" fields are pre-populated for me, including my AAdvantage#. When I update the FFN to AS, it thinks I'm trying to "create new passenger" and makes me fill out all the traveler info fields. Very aggravating.
Alternatively, you can change your FFN at the airport - gate agents will usually do that if you're there early enough.

Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page in this existing thread, where we have merged your query.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 26, 2017 at 2:52 pm
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have an upcoming flight DUS-LHR-LAX RT booked through AA, with the DUS-LHR on BA metal and the LHR-LAX on AA. I'd like to credit the LHR-LAX legs to Etihad. Will this mean the DUS-LHR legs 'go to waste?' Or is there a way to credit these legs to BA or AA and split the crediting of my flight?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:17 am

I'm flying on an AA ticket on BA metal and I'm trying to not credit to CX until after I hit Gold there.

Is the best way to just take my FFN off my AA booking altogether or can I do it at the airport? Of course I'd be checking in at the BA counter and since they use Amadeus and AA users Sabre, does that further complicate things? I'm assuming the BA PNR has a record of my FFN as well so will removing my number off my AA record also remove it from the BA record?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:30 am

AA booking but crediting BA

Hi all - I am losing my AA Platinum on 1/31, but I have BA EC Gold (which is OWE). I was hoping to credit the ticket I purchased through my travel agent to BA, but somehow I see my AA # in the booking.
2 questions if I may:
1. How do I change the FF# because there is no option on the AA website? In the past, I have asked at the gate, and sometimes they get credited to BA, other times it stays with AA.
2. If I change to BA#, would I still be able to get upgraded to First on domestic segments? BTW, I will retain AA Gold after 1/31 and I have plenty of 500-miles upgrades.
Appreciate your comments and assistance please. Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
The initial FF # entered is notoriously/annoyingly sticky. I think there are some other OW sites that you can use to make the change with more efficacy than AA.com, others will likely weigh in. With a BA number on the booking you cannot use 500 mile upgrade credits.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Per the Wikipost at the top of the page: You could try changing your FFN by:

Calling

DMing @AmericanAir on Twitter (see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html)

Try using the Finnair website

Having the FFN changed at the airport

You are supposed to get the benefits of the airline you are crediting to, so no courtesy upgrades- you can’t have your dessert and eat it too.
zpaul likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
The initial FF # entered is notoriously/annoyingly sticky. I think there are some other OW sites that you can use to make the change with more efficacy than AA.com, others will likely weigh in. With a BA number on the booking you cannot use 500 mile upgrade credits.
Thanks! I thought so re the 500 miles upgrade. :-)
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Per the Wikipost at the top of the page: You could try changing your FFN by:

Calling

DMing @AmericanAir on Twitter (see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html)

Try using the Finnair website

Having the FFN changed at the airport

You are supposed to get the benefits of the airline you are crediting to, so no courtesy upgrades- you can’t have your dessert and eat it too.
Thanks! I've tried calling before too - didnt seem to work well either. Let me try Finnair instead. Yes, I figured about the 500 miles upgrade. Just thought I'd check. :-)
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.