Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Changing a Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings
You may find the Frequent Flyer Number area grayed out, or be unable to change FFN online via aa.com. Alternatives:

Call AA reservations at 800-433-7300.

Tweet @AmericanAir and ask the Twitter team to do it - though the best way is to have them follow you first and then send them a DM to keep your information private.

Request the FFN change at the check-in counter or, if you arrive before they get very busy, the gate.

Using the Finnair or Royal Jordanian website to change your FFN seems to no longer work. (AA use Sabre, several other one world airlines use Amadeus.)

NOTE: If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

From the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link)

Earning AAdvantage Miles

"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

Older and obsolete posts have been moved to ARCHIVE: Changing FFN / Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings

Updated 5 Jul 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Bumping an old thread. My request to add my AA number to a BA Avios booking was refused today. Via Twitter DM.

Looks like they're finally enforcing policy.
Had you go some benefits from AA status?

From the wiki
"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

Utilising AA Exp Emerald while getting to BA Gold
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Bumping an old thread. My request to add my AA number to a BA Avios booking was refused today. Via Twitter DM.

Did you try adding it on the website when pulling up your reservation?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Maybe it is time to revoke the JV and ATI.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Try the Finnair, Qatar, and Royal Jordanian websites' "Manage Booking" function. One of more of those may still work.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Try the Finnair, Qatar, and Royal Jordanian websites' "Manage Booking" function. One of more of those may still work.
Perhaps something changed in the last week or two. I was able to add my AA FFN to a BA Avios booking just a few weeks ago on the AA website.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:47 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
One of those did work
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:48 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by econ
Did you try adding it on the website when pulling up your reservation?
That way has been disabled for years now
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold

I succeeded on 1 of 2 on the 25th. Latter said, "If they did it in the past they shouldn't have."

I called BA and got them to remove the BA #, and then I was able to add the AA #. I had booked First/Biz domestic, so I'm not really gaining anything except getting the flight to show on AA. So no guilt.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Trying to add my Advantage number to an award reservation booked with AS miles and can confirm that the AA Twitter team still won't allow it...thinking of trying a good ol' fashioned call to reservations
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Trying to add my Advantage number to an award reservation booked with AS miles and can confirm that the AA Twitter team still won't allow it...thinking of trying a good ol' fashioned call to reservations
Hoping to get a benefit from your AA status?
Finnair AY manage booking may/may not work
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Hoping to get a benefit from your AA status?
Finnair AY manage booking may/may not work
Just trying to get a free checked bag with AA credit card....the Finnair site doesn't seem to work when I enter the AA locator....also tried the RJ site. I still haven't gotten around to calling..any other ways folks have had success adding their AA frequent flyer #?

Last edited by PDXPremier; Jan 24, 2020 at 9:07 pm
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:53 pm

Can confirm that I booked a TP run yesterday via Book with Matrix/AA.com and it auto put my AAdvantage FFN on the booking. A quick call to the UK AA phone number and it was amended to my BA Exec FFN, showing on my AA booking online a few minutes later.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DesperateDan
Can confirm that I booked a TP run yesterday via Book with Matrix/AA.com and it auto put my AAdvantage FFN on the booking. A quick call to the UK AA phone number and it was amended to my BA Exec FFN, showing on my AA booking online a few minutes later.
But did you get a benifit from any AA status?
There are no issues with changing a FFN. Only when getting a benefit from the first FFN is it problematic.
[TP = BAEC tier points/status earning]
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:32 am

But did you get a benifit from any AA status?
There are no issues with changing a FFN. Only when getting a benefit from the first FFN is it problematic.
[TP = BAEC tier points/status earning]
Thanks for clarifying. I had not used AA status to get a benefit.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Bumping an old thread. My request to add my AA number to a BA Avios booking was refused today.
Interesting. I do this regularly, but as travel is slower this year, it's been a while since the last time. It has always worked in the past; I would call AA, ask to be connected to BA via call pass-through, and BA would always take care of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.