Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Changing a Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings
You may find the Frequent Flyer Number area grayed out, or be unable to change FFN online via aa.com. Alternatives:

Call AA reservations at 800-433-7300.

Tweet @AmericanAir and ask the Twitter team to do it - though the best way is to have them follow you first and then send them a DM to keep your information private.

Request the FFN change at the check-in counter or, if you arrive before they get very busy, the gate.

Using the Finnair or Royal Jordanian website to change your FFN seems to no longer work. (AA use Sabre, several other one world airlines use Amadeus.)

NOTE: If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

From the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link)

Earning AAdvantage Miles

"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

Older and obsolete posts have been moved to ARCHIVE: Changing FFN / Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings

Updated 5 Jul 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2020, 1:19 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Interesting. I do this regularly, but as travel is slower this year, it's been a while since the last time. It has always worked in the past; I would call AA, ask to be connected to BA via call pass-through, and BA would always take care of it.
In my experience, you have to "book for someone else" when booking your award on BA's website and enter your own details.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by VFR
In my experience, you have to "book for someone else" when booking your award on BA's website and enter your own details.
Correct. Especially important to not have your BA number entered into the reservation when making the booking. This makes the process of getting the AA number added later on much simpler.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by VFR
Originally Posted by econ
Correct. Especially important to not have your BA number entered into the reservation when making the booking. This makes the process of getting the AA number added later on much simpler.
Interesting. Have never tried this approach. Will give it a go next time
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
What's the latest on adding/changing FFN? Booking some flights for September and don't know yet if I want to credit to AA or BA. Don't need any benefits as I'll be buying First. Is the best strategy to just leave FFN empty and enter at checkin?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
What's the latest on adding/changing FFN? Booking some flights for September and don't know yet if I want to credit to AA or BA. Don't need any benefits as I'll be buying First. Is the best strategy to just leave FFN empty and enter at checkin?
My experience is that the website allows entry of a new FFN anytime after booking if the field is initially empty, but once it's entered it can't be changed (at least, not on the AA website).

I'd leave it blank if you're unsure.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA/BA, HH/SPG
In case it helps someone since I was under the impression it was no longer working, I was able to update a BA award flight on AA that had pre-filled my BA FFN by using the Finnair manage booking to update passenger information with my AA FFN.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I'm trying to change the FFN on a BA Avios booking. All the usual sites (AY, RJ, QR) no longer seem to work? I know AY was working as recently as a few weeks ago, but now there's no ability to edit the FFN field. Any suggestions that don't involve calling in?

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 29, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I'm trying to change the FFN on a BA Avios booking. All the usual sites (AY, RJ, QR) no longer seem to work? I know AY was working as recently as a few weeks ago, but now there's no ability to edit the FFN field. Any suggestions that don't involve calling in?

-FlyerBeek
Was just able to do it on Qatar site without problem. This was an AAdvantage booking on BA metal where I wanted to change my Aadvantage number to a BAEC number. But I assume it should also work for an avios booking on BA.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
I don't have an answer for you, but man, this is getting increasingly frustrating and annoying. That said, I guess each airline isn't really incentivized to make it easy for us to credit away from them.

Regards
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I booked an AA itinerary with AA miles. But I wanted to use my QF or QR status for seats & lounge access. Any solutions?

Very strange, AA gets paid by those airlines when I use lounge access. I don't get this policy... seems very customer unfriendly and the cost to the airline is next to nothing, or they might even lose revenue!
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I booked an AA itinerary with AA miles. But I wanted to use my QF or QR status for seats & lounge access. Any solutions?
Very strange, AA gets paid by those airlines when I use lounge access. I don't get this policy... seems very customer unfriendly and the cost to the airline is next to nothing, or they might even lose revenue!
From the wiki
"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."
In some ways you are doing the opposite. You are not trying to get an AAdvantage program benefit by changing the ffn.
Have you tried to change the ffn with AY, RJ or QR web site manage my booking?

But the best way is book the AA award for "another person" that happens to have QF/QR status [And who may look like you!]
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
From the wiki

In some ways you are doing the opposite. You are not trying to get an AAdvantage program benefit by changing the ffn.
Have you tried to change the ffn with AY, RJ or QR web site manage my booking?

But the best way is book the AA award for "another person" that happens to have QF/QR status [And who may look like you!]
Yes I am doing the opposite. I don't have any AA status, so unless paying with my miles is a 'benefit', I'm not really trying to do that. What a weird policy. If you have status on multiple airlines, you should be able to use it. I can understand locking it after check-in but not otherwise.

I've not been able to retrieve this booking on AY, RJ, JL, or QR sites. I haven't tried calling yet, but it sounds like that isn't usually successful either.

I guess next time, yes, I will book the award for another guy with my name and QF status... haha
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Titanium
It looks like this works on the Royal Air Maroc site.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Big warning to anyone looking to do this. I booked a couple of flights as "Web Awards" and have been told by Twitter that the T&Cs say that you're not allowed to change your FF number to any other programme under this special category (which sounds like a ton of BS to me). I have no status with AA but OneWorld Emerald with BA, so I had been planning on taking 200 pounds of baggage with me. I might have to just drop the tickets and write off 40K AA miles - this makes AA miles essentially worthless to me in general unless I can find a way to book over the phone without it inheriting my AA frequent flyer number.

I've tried Air Maroc, etc. and none of the websites appear to be kicking up the AA locator.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Big warning to anyone looking to do this. I booked a couple of flights as "Web Awards" and have been told by Twitter that the T&Cs say that you're not allowed to change your FF number to any other programme under this special category (which sounds like a ton of BS to me). I have no status with AA but OneWorld Emerald with BA, so I had been planning on taking 200 pounds of baggage with me. I might have to just drop the tickets and write off 40K AA miles - this makes AA miles essentially worthless to me in general unless I can find a way to book over the phone without it inheriting my AA frequent flyer number.

I've tried Air Maroc, etc. and none of the websites appear to be kicking up the AA locator.
Can confirm the twitter team says this. But, the twitter team can REMOVE your aa number. Then you can call AA and add any other number. Obviously a huge PITA but it still works. Going forward probably best not to use your own AA miles for your own Saaver tickets because that would skip a step. I did this due to OWE published status (exit rows etc) and utilizing the 200+ lbs perks of luggage. She said 3 at 50lbs each but if one is a ski bag thats 4 x 50lbs. I was on hold for 40+ min which stinks and will make me avoid this situation unless its heavily in my favor going forward.

Also to the above poster. AA award reservations are 100% refundable right now. So cancel it and you'll be reimbursed.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.