Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Changing a Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings
You may find the Frequent Flyer Number area grayed out, or be unable to change FFN online via aa.com. Alternatives:

Call AA reservations at 800-433-7300.

Tweet @AmericanAir and ask the Twitter team to do it - though the best way is to have them follow you first and then send them a DM to keep your information private.

Request the FFN change at the check-in counter or, if you arrive before they get very busy, the gate.

Using the Finnair or Royal Jordanian website to change your FFN seems to no longer work. (AA use Sabre, several other one world airlines use Amadeus.)

NOTE: If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

From the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link)

Earning AAdvantage Miles

"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

Older and obsolete posts have been moved to ARCHIVE: Changing FFN / Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings

Updated 5 Jul 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by filakia8
Thanks! I've tried calling before too - didnt seem to work well either. Let me try Finnair instead. Yes, I figured about the 500 miles upgrade. Just thought I'd check. :-)
well, could not find my booking on Finnair website. But the airport checkin agent managed to put my EC# on the boarding pass. I hope I’ll get credit for it this time.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:26 pm

The Finnair option no longer seems to work. The recognises the PNR and lets you get to the "Update Details" page but once you enter the new/updated FF# and press "Continue" the site just goes into a loop and takes you back to the same page. i.e. the "Update Details" page.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:47 pm

"Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

I take this to mean that you cannot redeem flight awards with, say CX, and then switch to AA for the AAdvantage perks. It does not say that you cannot redeem with CX and switch to, say, BA. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, if changing the FFP is not possible, would it still be possible to enter a OW lounge just based on the physical OW status card?
Old May 1, 2018, 7:58 pm

An additional datapoint on this. I made an award booking in BA business class USA to UK, using miles from JAL Mileage Bank so the booking record held my JL frequent flyer number. I was unable to change that at any of the usual online sites so I telephoned BA and asked them to add my AAdvantage number... platinum so OW Sapphire.

Now when I go to ba.com it still shows my JL FF number, but now says I can make a seat selection free of charge. However when I try and select seats it would bounce back out with an error... I could see the seat map, I could try and select a seat, but it failed to confirm.

So I telephoned BA and had them assign seats for me. That worked, the agent could see that I was OW Sapphire and so eligible for free seat assignment. However he could not (or would not) assign me seats on the upper deck of the 747. So while both ba.com and expertflyer showed open seats on upper deck, agent claimed none available, or that they were reserved for airport assignment.

DAK
Old May 30, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
If I have an award booking using my AA miles on BA metal - will it be possible to change to my BA Avios number to get early seat assignments? Assume will need to call to do it as no luck in AA.com BA.com or Finn.com? Thx.

Last edited by ExRSA; May 30, 2018 at 2:44 pm
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:51 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but if I am going to fly AA domestic and would like to initially use my CX Sapphire status to enjoy free check in bag and lounge access, but ultimately change to JL JMB as this short flight will perfectly take me to the next status. If I am flying CX, I am pretty sure this is going to be very safe, but given some have expressed AA FFP # being rather sticky, so I would like to hear your view. Appreciated
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Not sure if this works anymore at all. I just DM'd via Twitter and got the response "you cannot get benefits on both." Problem is, I no longer have any status with AA, so there are no benefits that would accrue anyway. I simply want to attach my AA profile which has my Global Entry number and allows me to see the reservation on the AA app. Is the Twitter avenue all over now? Any other options?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:28 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
Not sure if this works anymore at all. I just DM'd via Twitter and got the response "you cannot get benefits on both." Problem is, I no longer have any status with AA, so there are no benefits that would accrue anyway. I simply want to attach my AA profile which has my Global Entry number and allows me to see the reservation on the AA app. Is the Twitter avenue all over now? Any other options?
Definitely a case of HUCA. (Or perhaps LOTA Log Off Tweet Again, ). You can display the record on BA.com, AA.com, or whereever it is, and you can change the FFN to you CK number, AS number, AA number, etc, i.e. any number of your own choosing, or you can blank it out entirely if you wish.

If it were me, I'd go to AA.com and find the reservation by Flight # and Passenger Name, then change the FFN.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Definitely a case of HUCA. (Or perhaps LOTA Log Off Tweet Again, ). You can display the record on BA.com, AA.com, or whereever it is, and you can change the FFN to you CK number, AS number, AA number, etc, i.e. any number of your own choosing, or you can blank it out entirely if you wish.

If it were me, I'd go to AA.com and find the reservation by Flight # and Passenger Name, then change the FFN.
One of the popular blogs (TPG) is reporting today that AA is now strictly enforcing terms that have been in the T&C since last year: no change of the FFN or elite benefits on AA if you paid for your ticket using another program's miles/avios. This is a new low for the Aadvantage program.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:49 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by CloudCoder

This would work to ADD a FFN (if there isn't one at all in the record currently), but definitely for AA.com, once a FFN is in the record, you can't change it yourself online. Don't know if the Finnair avenue still works as there seem to have been mixed reports on that.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by ehallison
One of the popular blogs (TPG) is reporting today that AA is now strictly enforcing terms that have been in the T&C since last year: no change of the FFN or elite benefits on AA if you paid for your ticket using another program's miles/avios. This is a new low for the Aadvantage program.
I just read this on TPG. I wonder if it will affect a few existing avios bookings I have where I was able to add my aadvantage number.

This is very disappointing to me. AA domestic availability has seemed to be a little bit better lately and so maybe this is a move designed to try to get people to use up their AA miles -- there so so many out there in the market -- instead of avios, etc.

I know people say stuff like this all the time, but this really may be the last straw for me. Not because this is so horrible, but just the cumulative effect. I'm a Phoenix based flyer. I would say 75 percent of my work colleagues have now completely shifted to WN. I've been stubborn. I sit here with my little notepad in my desk where I plan out my travel, figure out how close I am to $12k eqd, occasionally pay the difference for first class to get that extra bump toward status or pay the difference to my accounting department where AA is more expensive than Southwest, visit frequent flier mileage calculators to get my distances, etc. Meanwhile, my friends seem really happy with their A list and companion passes.

I probably fly two or three domestic AA trips a year using avios, nearly always with family and for leisure. So, this is really not a big issue for me. Maybe a few hundred dollars in baggage fees and having to put up with non MCE. But, seriously, what am I grinding away at this status for? I have a feeling that just letting it all go would really lift a weight off my shoulders. I'm closing in on 2 million miles too -- probably another 4 years or so -- but that's become a mirage too. What am I doing this for? I know the regulars here will likely be "don't let the door hit your butt on the way out," but seriously, this just seems so petty by AA. Sigh.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
This would work to ADD a FFN (if there isn't one at all in the record currently), but definitely for AA.com, once a FFN is in the record, you can't change it yourself online. Don't know if the Finnair avenue still works as there seem to have been mixed reports on that.
Has anyone tried this with an Alaska Airlines award on AA? That, is, not put a FFN in the booking, then add an elite AA number and get MCE on the AA flight?
I used to fly one trip per year on AS when I used to work for a Seattle company, and credited it to AA. Of course you can no longer do that now.
I received 10K AS miles for being a member of the Virgin American FF Program, though I'd only flew them for one flight. However, I do have some more miles due to a cruise from Seattle that ended last week.
I had received a lower DFW-SEA fare on AS than AA, and AS had given me 4 upgrades after matching my AA status which I was able to use as soon as I had booked the tickets. I found I can book the award as someone else (which lets me then enter my name and not my FF number as the passenger), so I want to find out if I can change the FF number on AA or another site, as the AS site will not let me enter it
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I am wondering, if I use BA miles to get a flight on JAL, can I still add my AA to enjoy OWE benefits?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:07 pm

Finnair and Royal Jordanian manage my booking are not working for me. I was trying to swap my Iberia # from my promo avios bookings to my AA #.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:42 pm

Best answer is to call. I did this recently and that is what it came down to. (I don’t use twitter.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.