Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under “Project Oasis” this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 “Project Oasis” standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30” pitch in Main Cabin, 33”pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plt, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold
Row 8 v. Row 15

So is the consensus that row 15 is preferable to row 8? Maybe I'm just blinded by the 763's row 11 (and the md80's (former?) row 7), but the bulkhead must offer at least as good legroom as rows 9-15 and should come with the invaluable illusion of personal space and privacy.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:35 pm
Suspended

MCE on the 738

I apologize if this is the wrong place for my inquiry but I searched and didnt find a master Thread for the 738

When I looked on AAs seat map as well as Seat Guru it shows Row 16 & 17 having the B and E seats blocked (middle seats) Does anyone know if they're in fact there? will they be given away or will they remain empty ?

I usually grab an aisle Exit Row on 16, but they are already spoken for that leaves Row 12 aisle,or 17 where the middle seats seem to be blocked. Both AA & SG seem to indicate that 16 & 17 are MCE. So I was wondering if 17 C or D would be better since the middle seat is blocked over another row where it isnt and would probably mean a neighbor next to me
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by craz
I apologize if this is the wrong place for my inquiry but I searched and didnt find a master Thread for the 738

When I looked on AAs seat map as well as Seat Guru it shows Row 16 & 17 having the B and E seats blocked (middle seats) Does anyone know if they're in fact there? will they be given away or will they remain empty ?

I usually grab an aisle Exit Row on 16, but they are already spoken for that leaves Row 12 aisle,or 17 where the middle seats seem to be blocked. Both AA & SG seem to indicate that 16 & 17 are MCE. So I was wondering if 17 C or D would be better since the middle seat is blocked over another row where it isnt and would probably mean a neighbor next to me
The seats are physically blocked and cannot be occupied.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by craz
This post and its reply have been moved here from another thread. It's worth noting that links to all MCE master threads can be found at the top of every page in that thread, so it should be easy to find the correct place to post such questions.

~Moderator
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The seats are physically blocked and cannot be occupied.
To add, there is a tray bolted in.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Do the non-MCE 737s still block the middle seat in rows 15 and 16? Or is this only the MCE 737s?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Do the non-MCE 737s still block the middle seat in rows 15 and 16? Or is this only the MCE 737s?
Only the MCE 738's.

When a 738 is converted to MCE they remove one row of economy and then block 4 seats, bringing the total down from 160 to 150. The rows are 16 and 17 btw, not 15 and 16).
Old May 1, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Djokison
Only the MCE 738's.

When a 738 is converted to MCE they remove one row of economy and then block 4 seats, bringing the total down from 160 to 150. The rows are 16 and 17 btw, not 15 and 16).
Are there any non-MCE 738's left?
Old May 1, 2013, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Are there any non-MCE 738's left?
Last I heard (a month or two ago) there were still some of the old 738's with CRT screens that weren't converted yet. (Mostly doing ORD flying, IIRC)

I don't know if these have been converted already or not.
Old May 4, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Given the reduced with of row 15, is it so clear that it's better than MCE aisles? Is it just the lack of recline from row 14?
Old May 4, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by beachfan
Given the reduced with of row 15, is it so clear that it's better than MCE aisles? Is it just the lack of recline from row 14?
Nothing bums me out more than the person in front of me reclining into my lap (and laptop)- NOTHING (that means including a narrower seat, an occupied middle next to my aisle seat...).

...but it all depends on one's individual preferences.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
I had 4 B738 flights yesterday. Fortunately 3/4 got upgrades, but I decided to give a "quick sit" on MCE on a couple of the B738's to see how good they were.

I dont' know if it was me, but I really didn't see a big difference between MCE and a "regular" coach class seats (I took some photos and reviewed them today just to make sure). Unfortunately I didn't note the seat numbers but I can't say I was impressed. Fortunatley I had an exit row on my non-upgrade flight.

I do have a MCE B763 flight coming up during the week. Hopefully 12-J MCE will be much more noticable (i.e. better) than what I've seen so far.

EDIT: 05/09/2013-1620 PST

Flew on a couple of B738's yesterday. One of them had MCE. IIRC, since I have been concerned about the lack of space, took a closer look. While I wasn't able to sit down on the seats (pax present), ostensibly, it seems row 9 on the MCE B738's didn't seem too bad. That being said, I'm glad I had an exit row as it certainly had more room than the MCE. Return flight was in F and didn't have MCE.

Last edited by Jacobin777; May 9, 2013 at 5:20 pm Reason: New Info
Old May 7, 2013, 4:09 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Question New AA738-800VC: Rows 16-17,Seats B&E Permanently Blocked?

Was just looking at Seat Guru and noted that the above referenced seats display as permanently "blocked." If this is accurate, Rows 16-17, Seats A & C and D & F would be much more desirable since they're in the coach elite portion of the aircraft. I've never known AA to permanently block any seats unless it was for crew rest or extra security. I'm flying on this bird next week and all four legs are using this aircraft. I usually go for the second row of the Exit seating, but would take any of the aisle seats if I knew for certain that the middle seat would be blocked. This (keeping the middle seat blocked) used to be standard protocol when an AAdvantage Elite member made a reservation and one of the few benefits I really coveted. Seat Guru isn't incorrect very often, but I'd feel better about it if some knowledgeable AA flyer could confirm. Have I thoroughly confused everyone?
Old May 7, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
This is correct. With the new configuration, AA has blocked off these seats to keep the passenger count down so that only 3 F/A's are required to meet FAA min staffing requirements. Not blocking those seats would have required an additional F/A.

Note if the equipment get's swapped to one not reconfigured, these seats will not be blocked.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any difference between the MCE and Exit Row 15?

I totally forgot about this but we have Row 15 on a MIA-BWI flight on Thursday morning.

I just saw this flight has MCE seats and they are pretty open from Row 10.
Row 8 and 9 already have occupied 1 or 2 passengers. Row 10 to 11 are fully available.

Are the MCE better than the Exit Row, like you have a tray table in front instead of in the armrest?

Edit

I see 10A is missing a window. Keep the seats at Row 15 then.

Last edited by Happy; May 7, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.