Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under “Project Oasis” this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 “Project Oasis” standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30” pitch in Main Cabin, 33”pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by pbjag
Most of this thread seems to be devoted to a discussion of the blocked middle seats in rows 16 and 17...

Can anyone comment on the difference in legroom in rows 8-13, as well as perceived pros and cons vs. the exit rows?
I would put it this way (most to least desireable Y):

1) Row 15
2) Row 16/17 (assuming you don't get a A/C swap!)
3) MCE 9-13
4) Row 14
5) Row 8
6) All the rest of Y

Row 14 has reduced recline (as best I can tell), fixed armrests, and hard seats. MCE has standard recline and nearly as much legroom as the exits. Personally, I think the front half of the 737 just became about equal. You have to decide for yourself if the cons of Row 14 and 8 are worth the (marginal) benefits. I hate row 8, personally.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 3:38 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Originally Posted by Umrswimr
I hate row 8, personally.
Out of curiosity why? I always thought the previous Row 7 (the aisle, not the middle or window) was nice.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I would put it this way (most to least desireable Y):

1) Row 15
2) Row 16/17 (assuming you don't get a A/C swap!)
3) MCE 9-13
4) Row 14
5) Row 8
6) All the rest of Y

Row 14 has reduced recline (as best I can tell), fixed armrests, and hard seats. MCE has standard recline and nearly as much legroom as the exits. Personally, I think the front half of the 737 just became about equal. You have to decide for yourself if the cons of Row 14 and 8 are worth the (marginal) benefits. I hate row 8, personally.
Depends if you want more seat width or pitch (leg space). I hate having the seat in front of me recline into my lap, keeping me from using my laptop, so I prefer exit row and MCE over rows 16/17.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Retrofit Progress?

Any idea how many of the MCE aircraft are now in the fleet? I've tried to find something, but no luck...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stratofortress
Any idea how many of the MCE aircraft are now in the fleet? I've tried to find something, but no luck...
Along those lines, my itinerary shows Economy starting at Row 8 which would infer the MCE configuration, but still shows only "Preferred Seats" with no costs assigned.

Return flight shows Economy starting at Row 7 which would infer the old configuration, but the "Preferred Seats" have a cost assigned to it.

Questions:

1) How does AA know that the outbound flight will be a MCE configured aircraft vs the return flight?

2) Is it worthwhile booking the outbound "Preferred Seat" even though at flight time it may not be MCE?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Do the seats in 737 MCE row 13 recline?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
And as a note, AA has gone to almost exclusively MCE seat maps for their flights, but changing out within 24 hours of flight time. This has happened on my two 737 flights this past weekend. .
There goes my excitement for tomorrow's flight ATL-MIA on a 737 showing the MCE config on the seat map. I tweeted AA to ask if it was a MCE aircraft... their response: "what is MCE?"

Does anyone know how many 737s are configured with MCE? And why does AA's website omit 737s from the list of aircraft with MCE?

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp

*in their defense, their Twitter account is typically very responsible and more knowledgeable than expected. Night and day compared to AA's official presence here.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by farrish11
why does AA's website omit 737s from the list of aircraft with MCE?
This part is easy: they only list aircraft where every bird has MCE. Not every 737 has it, and they may even still add it to the MD-80's for all we know (I doubt it though).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Questions:

1) How does AA know that the outbound flight will be a MCE configured aircraft vs the return flight?

2) Is it worthwhile booking the outbound "Preferred Seat" even though at flight time it may not be MCE?
At some point, an aircraft is assigned (by tail number) to a series of flights. I think these are generally firmed up around 24 hours before departure. That's when the seat map will change as online check-in opens up.

However, there is always the chance of an issue that forces an equipment change. The swapped aircraft might have a different seating configuration. That makes gate agents have to reassign any seats that are different between the two.

I have sat in the restricted recline exit row aisle on a 738 with MCE and never again if I can avoid it. The very next time I flew in Y was a 763 in the MCE mini-cabin and it was heaven compared to that exit row.

I think I would pick the extra leg room over the open middle, but it's a close call. I have been picking non-exit rows if the only exit row that is open is the first exit row, but I will pick the second exit row if open. Ideal would be MCE with an open middle.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:04 am

Looks like my Red Eye LAX to IAD might have MCE. 8A, 9F, 15A, 16/17AF are all open. I'm thinking either 8A so I can use the lav easily or 9F, because it sounds like that would be more comfortable for sleep (MCE + better cushioned seats). I'd like to be near the front so I can get off fast, catch the first shuttle to downtown DC, and be at the Library of Congress when it opens for a full day of research.

Any thoughts? I'm not big (neither vertical nor horizontal), so leg room isn't really an issue aside from a general feeling of roominess.

I'm hoping for a sticker u/g...generally, it has been easy for me to get u/gs on non-NYC Red Eyes as a Plat, but I take nothing for granted since there are so many EXPs now.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Depends if you want more seat width or pitch (leg space). I hate having the seat in front of me recline into my lap, keeping me from using my laptop, so I prefer exit row and MCE over rows 16/17.
I personally find it almost impossible to work on a laptop in Y if there's somebody sitting next to me. With an open adjacent seat, it's at least feasible- even if the seat in front is reclined.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
I personally find it almost impossible to work on a laptop in Y if there's somebody sitting next to me. With an open adjacent seat, it's at least feasible- even if the seat in front is reclined.
Still curious on why you hate row 8? Reg width, recline, extra legroom on the aisle, first off the plane...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by nickflies
Still curious on why you hate row 8? Reg width, recline, extra legroom on the aisle, first off the plane...
The bulkhead prevents you from stretching out as much as you think. 8C/D might be tolerable, but I also hate the tiny tray in the armrest and the lack of storage.... Much rather go with the other options available.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:35 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TWA884
On MCE converted 738s four middle seats are permanently blocked to bring the capacity down to 150 which would reduce the minimum staffing of that type to 3 (if the FAA goes along with the seat blocking scheme).
It's official.

The 737-800 configuration is now complete. Effective March 1, flight attendant staffing on this aircraft will be reduced to three. Transcon flights with at least 85 passengers will be assigned a fourth flight attendant.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing like a long leisurely meal in FC...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.