Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jordyn
...as opposed to what?
I don't understand the question? The flight I wanted was an evening flight out of NRT if that is what you were asking.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
Well if it was sitting there for a week....maybe you should have called in sooner? Bad luck for you, good luck for whomever grabbed the seat.
Sadly couldn't call in sooner until I confirmed I'd be able to take the trip today.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Red259
Sadly couldn't call in sooner until I confirmed I'd be able to take the trip today.
In the future I'd recommend booking the seat (especially if there's only one seat left) and placing the booking on a 5-day hold. The ability to hold awards is one of the remaining lone bright spots of using AA miles these days.
E55 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Having missed out on a few cheap flights this way, I sympathize. Gotta be quicker on your feet (or willing to risk a cancellation fee) next time!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, it's happened to me too. It blows. But what can you do? Can't book before you know you can go. Now if you waited after you decided to go, then it's
​​​​​he who hesitates and all that.
Anyway, enjoy the trip you are taking.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:23 pm

I don't understand the question? The flight I wanted was an evening flight out of NRT if that is what you were asking.
You asked "really it disappeared in 15 minutes?" I'm wondering what your alternative theory is if not that it disappeared while you were on hold.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Flights have been booked between the time I searched for it and the 30 seconds after that I decided to book it.

sucks but that is life.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rickg523
Yep, it's happened to me too. It blows. But what can you do? Can't book before you know you can go..
Yes you can book before you know you can go.
And AA makes it easy since you get a free 5 day hold on award tickets.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:10 pm

Is the BA search engine as problematic for phantom inventory on JAL flights as it is for CX? Maybe the OP's open seat was never really there.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
Is the BA search engine as problematic for phantom inventory on JAL flights as it is for CX? Maybe the OP's open seat was never really there.
Anything is possible but it vanished when I went back to check so I think it really was there initially. Also the flight I ended up taking showed there and then when I went back the seat I took was gone.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:26 pm

awesome! less grAAbers in JL F
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Next time, if you are EXP, take it. There is no fee to cancel an award flight as an EXP. A couple of times this has helped out as I have needed to change my itinerary.
E55 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:49 pm

I found a flight I wanted on JAL using BA.com. It showed four seats open in F on the date I wanted. I called AA and they flatly said there are no seats available. Is this something wrong with the rep at AA where I need to call again or is the BA website not reliable to indicate open award space on JAL? Is there a different website I should be using to check for AA availability?I know back in November there was some sort of issue with AA reps not seeing JAL award space but not sure if this is still going on. The rep indicated that BA would have availability on JAL open to them that is not open to AA. That doesn't really sound right to me is it?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I found a flight I wanted on JAL using BA.com. It showed four seats open in F on the date I wanted. I called AA and they flatly said there are no seats available. Is this something wrong with the rep at AA where I need to call again or is the BA website not reliable to indicate open award space on JAL? Is there a different website I should be using to check for AA availability?I know back in November there was some sort of issue with AA reps not seeing JAL award space but not sure if this is still going on. The rep indicated that BA would have availability on JAL open to them that is not open to AA. That doesn't really sound right to me is it?
On ba.com, are you searching segment by segment? For example, you're searching just JFK-NRT and not JFK-PVG? The BA site can show wonky results when it comes to connections.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
On ba.com, are you searching segment by segment? For example, you're searching just JFK-NRT and not JFK-PVG? The BA site can show wonky results when it comes to connections.
I searched JFK-PVG should I search individual segments?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.