Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:27 pm

Still waiting on my two different itineraries, 2.5 and 1.5 weeks of waiting so far... Hopefully I'll see some action soon!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:29 am

Advice kindly sought • the best AA call center(s) for JAL redemptions

Firstly, thank you for bothering to read this - I greatly appreciate it!

Could anyone advise me as to which geographical AA call center might be the best for making JAL redemptions -- no matter whether in or outside of the US (e.g. in a similar vein to the Australian AA call center being known for being able to see Etihad space when other geo call centers appear not to be able to see the same space, is there a preferred AA call center for JAL redemptions)?

It's just that I have read a few horror stories on FT about AA agents routinely not being able to see JAL space even if it is appearing on JAL/BA/Alaska sites and even if you tell them to look for revenue space and using Z for F space.

As such, and being 5 days away from my own +330 booking window, I just wondered if any FTers had identified any particular AA call center, home or abroad, that tends to be better than others in terms of their agents and with regard to them being able to see JAL space when it had already be 'verified' on BA and JAL sites?

Any help or pointers would be hugely appreciated!

All the best
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I had absolutely no trouble with the US call center immediately finding the JAL availability that I wanted. This was true the 4 times that I called last year- 4 of 4 agents knew how to do this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Originally Posted by Scoob72

Could anyone advise me as to which geographical AA call center might be the best for making JAL redemptions -- no matter whether in or outside of the US (e.g. in a similar vein to the Australian AA call center being known for being able to see Etihad space when other geo call centers appear not to be able to see the same space, is there a preferred AA call center for JAL redemptions)?

It's just that I have read a few horror stories on FT about AA agents routinely not being able to see JAL space even if it is appearing on JAL/BA/Alaska sites and even if you tell them to look for revenue space and using Z for F space.

As such, and being 5 days away from my own +330 booking window, I just wondered if any FTers had identified any particular AA call center, home or abroad, that tends to be better than others in terms of their agents and with regard to them being able to see JAL space when it had already be 'verified' on BA and JAL sites?

All the best
There's a whole thread/wiki dedicated to JAL award space livability. Might I suggest searching there.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:41 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Any call center is more than adequate for finding Z space.

Much like any job in the world, training your staff on changes takes time. I'd suggest not drawing conclusions of current status based on anecdotes from a year ago.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Brooke.E
I had absolutely no trouble with the US call center immediately finding the JAL availability that I wanted. This was true the 4 times that I called last year- 4 of 4 agents knew how to do this.
Brooke.E - many thanks for sharing your experience: that's extremely reassuring to learn.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by krakendown
There's a whole thread/wiki dedicated to JAL award space livability. Might I suggest searching there.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html
krakendown - many thanks for this. I have read this pretty thoroughly, but I appreciate the link in any case. Thank you.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Any call center is more than adequate for finding Z space.
Much like any job in the world, training your staff on changes takes time. I'd suggest not drawing conclusions of current status based on anecdotes from a year ago.
Beltway2A - thanks for the above and you make a fair point. I would say that my concern over agents was initially drawn from comments in August this year rather than a year ago, but, as you and others say, perhaps things have improved since then; of course, too, a la YMMV, then some people's experiences with AA agents may always have been very positive.

Like everyone here, I imagine, I'm just keen, having taken ages to build up a sufficient mileage pool, that I glean the right information from fellow FTers about this particular redemption and how to execute it, no more so as the other ticket is for my elderly mother, whose dementia has recently onset, and, as such, this may be my one and only shot at this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Beltway2A - thanks for the above and you make a fair point. I would say that my concern over agents was initially drawn from comments in August this year rather than a year ago, but, as you and others say, perhaps things have improved since then; of course, too, a la YMMV, then some people's experiences with AA agents may always have been very positive.

Like everyone here, I imagine, I'm just keen, having taken ages to build up a sufficient mileage pool, that I glean the right information from fellow FTers about this particular redemption and how to execute it, no more so as the other ticket is for my elderly mother, whose dementia has recently onset, and, as such, this may be my one and only shot at this.
Best of luck securing a ticket for your mother, I hope she has an excellent journey. As a point of reference, I called the regular Aadvantage reservation number earlier this month promptly at 9pm and was able to secure multiple first and business class awards on JAL without issue. The agents know what they're doing.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’ve not had any extraordinary difficulties booking awards on JL merely calling AA (though iirc I’ve always used AA awards on JL for gifts to others, including two awards in F to abc from Asia, though not for myself).

The reason I think calling the Mindpearl call center in Suva, dba AA call centers Australia and New Zealand, is that Mindpearl has access to more than Sabre as their GDS.

JL has recently (March 2018) renewed their partnership with Sabre (and iirc still is involved with AXESS), so I’m not sure Mindpearl would be any better than AA agents at securing AA awards on JL. But note the information in the Wikipost about JL releases of award space.

Moderator note: 2011-2015 posts archived to ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd). Useful post with detail governing AAdvantage awards using Japan Airlines copied to post #1 . Wikipost updated, including referral to post #1 with JonNYC’s information and link to archived posts.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 15, 2018 at 2:12 pm Reason: Add moderation information note
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Best of luck securing a ticket for your mother, I hope she has an excellent journey. As a point of reference, I called the regular Aadvantage reservation number earlier this month promptly at 9pm and was able to secure multiple first and business class awards on JAL without issue. The agents know what they're doing.
Beltway2A - thank you for your kind words, I genuinely appreciate it. Thank you, too, for the reference point -- I think I'll follow this to the T, especially given the success you had doing this yourself earlier in the month (well done, by the way!). All the best.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I’ve not had any extraordinary difficulties booking awards on JL merely calling AA (though iirc I’ve always used AA awards on JL for gifts to others, including two awards in F to abc from Asia, though not for myself).

The reason I think calling the Mindpearl call center in Suva, dba AA call centers Australia and New Zealand, is that Mindpearl has access to more than Sabre as their GDS.

JL has recently (March 2018) renewed their partnership with Sabre (and iirc still is involved with AXESS), so I’m not sure Mindpearl would be any better than AA agents at securing AA awards on JL. But note the information in the Wikipost about JL releases of award space.
JDiver -- many thanks for this, too. All invaluable information and I greatly appreciate it. That's also interesting about Mindpearl, and then AA agents stateside likely having no less ability to secure JAL awards. Thank you.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:33 pm

All the best
I had no problems getting an award changed to a JAL availability routing when I, a lowly gold, called the gold AA desk last week.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
No status. Called the regular US reservations number.
Made two award changes recently for two of us, one was adjusting some J flights for better schedule through Tokyo, and the most recent was a change from J to F at 14 days out. Both changes ticketed within an hour.
On a side note, FWIW I'm noticing 8pm ET for inventory updates. which would be 9am in Tokyo.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:31 pm

After placing 2 JAL (J/F) tickets SIN_NRT_JFK on hold 5 days ago I finalized booking 3 days ago (71 hours ago) and still no ticketing confirmation email.
Called AA yesterday evening and rep reassured me that the request was made and it might take some time to get ticketed.
AA web page displays "On Request"
Should I be concerned or it usually takes this long for ticketing.

Last edited by touristtrap; Oct 18, 2018 at 3:33 pm Reason: Additional data

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.