Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:57 am

I'd take the aisle and hope more seats open at check-in.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BA GGL
Yeah, I s'pose I'll just check every 12 hours in the hope something changes.
It's fairly full because status travellers will have already snapped up those MCE seats I s'pose.
I do wish the booking company would have forward planned better rather than nine days prior to travel! To their detriment and AA/BA's gain I s'pose, given the price of the ticket...
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Yeah, I s'pose I'll just check every 12 hours in the hope something changes.
It's fairly full because status travellers will have already snapped up those MCE seats I s'pose.
I do wish the booking company would have forward planned better rather than nine days prior to travel! To their detriment and AA/BA's gain I s'pose, given the price of the ticket...
Keep checking as upgrades may occur and that could open up a more desirable seat. Note at T-24 you'll also be "competing" with the silver status people as they now have access to MCE.

Finally I would suggest asking at the gate as well as there might be a last minute SWU upgrade that opens an aisle seat.

Good Luck!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
That is a tough one, I would probably take the aisle. Like others said, keep checking for the coveted Aisle in MCE up to departure.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
rayfes: I don't understand the dilemma. What you pick now does not affect the chances of an MCE aisle seat becoming or not becoming available later. So, between coach aisle and MCE middle, pick the seat you'd prefer. Then keep looking for an MCE aisle as often as you can. Try EF seat alert too.

Remember that MCE seats have more leg-room but are not any wider.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by aktchi
rayfes:
Remember that MCE seats have more leg-room but are not any wider.
pretty sure the MCE seats on the 77W are wider, by 1-1.5 inches. I believe it is 17 vs 18 or 18.5 depending on the source. 9 across vs 10 across baby!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:40 am

Unexpected seat change

I just checked in on flight LHR to Dallas - was previously in 16K (MCE) - system auto-changed to 41C. Tried ringing BA (as booked with them) and AA - can't change until at the airport.

Any ideas why it would have moved seats? Is 41C still a "preferred" seat? What are the chances of MCE still being available at check-in?

The booking is for my son and I feel like I've messed up.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:01 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Andrea G
I just checked in on flight LHR to Dallas - was previously in 16K (MCE) - system auto-changed to 41C. Tried ringing BA (as booked with them) and AA - can't change until at the airport.

Any ideas why it would have moved seats? Is 41C still a "preferred" seat? What are the chances of MCE still being available at check-in?

The booking is for my son and I feel like I've messed up.
if 16k is a "cot seat" then they moved you because someone booked a seat with a cot needed and they will move you no matter what your status is if so.

This is the one negative thing about booking bulkheads as I've had it happen to me before.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
if 16k is a "cot seat" then they moved you because someone booked a seat with a cot needed and they will move you no matter what your status is if so.

This is the one negative thing about booking bulkheads as I've had it happen to me before.
The original seat is still showing as available though. Also I think 16K is an exit seat and the cot seats are in the middle.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:01 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Andrea G
The original seat is still showing as available though. Also I think 16K is an exit seat and the cot seats are in the middle.
US Marshals, if required to be onboard, get to choose whatever seat they want at booking. So, this is another possibility.

Did you call AA? They won't tell you if its the USM situation but if it is some kind of error it would be best to get it fixed sooner vs later.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
US Marshals, if required to be onboard, get to choose whatever seat they want at booking. So, this is another possibility.

Did you call AA? They won't tell you if its the USM situation but if it is some kind of error it would be best to get it fixed sooner vs later.
Yes I did - the guy I spoke to said nothing they could do once checked in. His system still said 16K, also the same when I sent a message via twitter. Boarding pass and web site says 41C - bizarre.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:08 pm

As predicted, all available MCE seats taken before being able to change at the airport.

.....seat changed to 20C at the desk - MCE but not in the separate cabin.

Last edited by Andrea G; Aug 14, 2017 at 4:02 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
pretty sure the MCE seats on the 77W are wider, by 1-1.5 inches. I believe it is 17 vs 18 or 18.5 depending on the source. 9 across vs 10 across baby!
You are right. I meant to say that for me middle seat is terrible, MCE or not.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Seat Advice... AA 777-300ER LAX HKG

Hello everyone, I have a flight from LAX to HKG coming up in November (11/3, AA193) and am currently a Platinum+, meaning I can select the main cabin extra seats at no charge. I'm very much an aisle kind of guy, being a bigger guy it's helpful that I don't have two seatmates.

Having said that, there are no aisle seats left in the main cabin extra. From the pictograms below (from AA & from Seatguru.com), I'm wondering if the seats in Rows 16-19 are in fact wider? Said another way, should I take that middle seat, 19E, for the @15 hour flight or just stay put in 21D? I'm standing by for miles/paid upgrade to business, so hopefully that will work out. But just in case... which seat would give me more room? I'm going to do my best to snooze through the flight, so I'm not too concerned about the extra few inches of feet space and I won't be working on a laptop.

Thanks in advance!

Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There's a thread on seat advice for the 77W...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.