Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
There appears to be a small group of true MCE seats in the first few rows of the rear Y section. That's it. What a joke.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Assuming the bulkheads do not move - how is the legroom in the current row 20 bulkhead? I do not think I have been back that far on the 77w (luckily). Curious what will be the go to seat in the back of the bus now for tall folks
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Assuming the bulkheads do not move - how is the legroom in the current row 20 bulkhead? I do not think I have been back that far on the 77w (luckily). Curious what will be the go to seat in the back of the bus now for tall folks
I know the current bulkhead seats in row 20 are bad and I hope they fix this once they get the PEY. On the 772 were bad too but after the retrofit, the partition wall were replaced and it have an open space at the bottom (it doesn't go to the floor) which is great because now you can extend your legs.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by fedechat
I know the current bulkhead seats in row 20 are bad and I hope they fix this once they get the PEY. On the 772 were bad too but after the retrofit, the partition wall were replaced and it have an open space at the bottom (it doesn't go to the floor) which is great because now you can extend your legs.
Ugh - good to know. In this case prob safest back in Row 31 right? That was my go to on the old 777
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:02 pm

Mom and I are booked LAX-HKG on seats 33 D and E. Couple things, they are main cabin extra, but are in the main cabin where there are more seats across than in the only MCE cabin up front (none of those were available). What gives? How are those seats? My main worry is the in arm entertainment (how is it?) and not being able to move arm rests up if our row is empty (when will checking seat map let me know if that is likely)? We are news at this all, thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:04 pm

The 777-300 PE retrofit will have the following configuration: 8F / 52J / 28PE / 28MCE / 188MC for a total of 304 seats. PE will be four rows in a 2-4-2 configuration with the exception of the first row which will have only the 4 seats in the center section.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:06 pm

Thanks, I was just wondering since all I saw online said those planes would not debut until July. PE is not an available option for purchase.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:44 pm

Upon further investigation you can’t buy the PE seats, what gives?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
New PE

Originally Posted by Robert
The 777-300 PE retrofit will have the following configuration: 8F / 52J / 28PE / 28MCE / 188MC for a total of 304 seats. PE will be four rows in a 2-4-2 configuration with the exception of the first row which will have only the 4 seats in the center section.
I don't quite understand, looking at the AA seat map do u mean to say row 16 will be misaligned?
I had the impression that it was row 19 that had only 4 seats in the center.

Originally Posted by Meghan Skornia
Upon further investigation you can’t buy the PE seats, what gives?
This article may be helpful -

American's Boeing 777-300ER Reconfiguration Plan Revealed - View from the Wing
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:05 pm

Thanks, my question is why are the PE seats not for sale? They are not marked as PE or MCE, and not for sale. We ended up in row 33 D and E, how are those? They are MCE bulkhead. Any other suggestions now that MCE is not in the 16-19 and PE is not for sale (will it be for sale later)?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by danbrew
Hello everyone, I have a flight from LAX to HKG coming up in November (11/3, AA193) and am currently a Platinum+, meaning I can select the main cabin extra seats at no charge. I'm very much an aisle kind of guy, being a bigger guy it's helpful that I don't have two seatmates.

Having said that, there are no aisle seats left in the main cabin extra. From the pictograms below (from AA & from Seatguru.com), I'm wondering if the seats in Rows 16-19 are in fact wider? Said another way, should I take that middle seat, 19E, for the @15 hour flight or just stay put in 21D? I'm standing by for miles/paid upgrade to business, so hopefully that will work out. But just in case... which seat would give me more room? I'm going to do my best to snooze through the flight, so I'm not too concerned about the extra few inches of feet space and I won't be working on a laptop.

Thanks in advance!

I am actually in almost the exact same position as you, for my flight HKG-LAX in a couple weeks. Have an SWU waitlisted, but not looking good as it's only J3 R2 D1 I0 right now.

Seat map looks almost the same, with the exception of all middle MCEs available (except for 16E, which is taken).

I was originally in 20H, but after reading feedback here about the terrible legroom and narrower seats due to armrest tray tables, decided to change to 19E. My thinking is that 19E will be wider, nobody behind me to grab my seat when trying to maneuver in and out of the seat, and there's a chance 19D and 19H are a couple who will prefer to sit together anyway.

Alternatively, I could go for row 31 exit, in which a window (31A) and an aisle (31J) are available, but it appears these are narrow, no under seat storage, and the window has a protrusion. Row 32 is also open (both windows and aisles)

Last option I was thinking of was rows 41/42, which are also all open except for one aisle seat taken. Am I right that these are similar to how the BA 77W is configured? I once flew LHR-JFK in one of the two seats at the back of the aircraft, and it wasn't the end of the world (definitely not pleasant but survived), though a 14 hour flight is probably another story.

Anyone think a 2-seat row like 31/32 or 41/42 is preferable to an MCE middle?

(I of course have all the alerts set up for other MCE seats )
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Meghan Skornia
Thanks, my question is why are the PE seats not for sale? They are not marked as PE or MCE, and not for sale. We ended up in row 33 D and E, how are those? They are MCE bulkhead. Any other suggestions now that MCE is not in the 16-19 and PE is not for sale (will it be for sale later)?
They won't sell PE if there's not an almost guaranteed chance your flight will have PE seats for you to sit in.. as all the aircraft sub-types are being retrofitted, they will expand PE to routes once the presence of the cabin is complete. Now, if you happen to get a plane with PE seats but not marketed as PE, you will not get the PE service. But consider yourself lucky!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by aaflyer93
They won't sell PE if there's not an almost guaranteed chance your flight will have PE seats for you to sit in.. as all the aircraft sub-types are being retrofitted, they will expand PE to routes once the presence of the cabin is complete. Now, if you happen to get a plane with PE seats but not marketed as PE, you will not get the PE service. But consider yourself lucky!
So why won't they sell them as MCE? Right now, none are available. Will they ever open up as MCE and I can move up from my current row 31?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The MCE seats are wider on this plane -,I sat in both. I’d take the middle MCE over the coach seats. Set up alerts for aisle MCE and cross your fingers for the SWU.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
A window MCE seat opened up in row 18, so I took that, and if my SWU doesn't clear, hoping the middle seat remains empty. I took a peek at the MCE cabin on my recent flight in J to HKG, and it is quite striking how much roomier it looks than regular economy. While it's true that row 16 on the left and right sides (exit rows) have unlimited leg room, they do look narrower and a bit tight compared to regular MCE seats, and it looked pretty awkward using the tray table. And 16A did look a little uncomfortable having to angle your legs to avoid the door protrusion, but it wasn't much.

Fingers still crossed for the SWU, but otherwise, will be mentally prepared for MCE window .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.