Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
So what seats are recommended on a 777-300ER in MCE?
Row 19 looks the same as any other except no-one behind you.

Got 16C at present but not sure if that's really close to the toilets.

Entire cabin is available for me to select.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Seat Selection on 77W

I'm fine on the outbound as I'm flying biz, but flying coach on the return (HKG-DFW). Seems like the only MCE available is a middle seat (17E). Should I take this seat or am I better off on a preferred aisle seat (24C)? First time on this aircraft.

Flight will not be until 9/7, so hoping something better will open up on MCE.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:59 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with our existing thread discussion MCE and economy seats on the 77W. Thanks! /Moderator
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I would take the MCE middle. In the case of a last minute upgrade, it will likely be someone from an MCE aisle/window seat, and you'll be able to move over. (And if that upgrade clears before flight time, checking the seat map frequently in the last few days before the flight will allow you to grab that better seat.)
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, DL GM, AS MVP75K
16A vs other MCE

Originally Posted by jm62
Just flew in 16a DFW-HKG and became a big fan of this seat. The ability to just stand up and have all that room was great. The door was not an issue when I was sitting but it did seem like you had to squeeze into the seat. Switched from 16c to 16a last minute when it opened up and was happy I did. The side of the plane was nice to put a pillow up and get sleep. Of course no seat in the back half of the plane is comfortable after 16 hours. Halfway thru the flight it start to get a little cold(we were over the North Pole) but the blanket they provide helped that.
I have to strongly disagree - and here are my personal reasons. As others have pointed out, 16-A feels claustrophobic to me, both because of the curve and the lack of a proper window and the door right in front. And if you're going to get out once the entertainment arm screen is out, it's quite the dance around it to not disturb your seatmate. And your left leg will be cold [unless wrapped in a couple of blankets while your right leg will be warm. And of course no storage in front, and depending on the flight attendant - they can yank even the slightest thing off the floor even if behind your feet and up against the seat.

I would recommend any other MCE window over that [unless you're 6'3" or more] but being an aisle guy, nothing better than the center D/H ones [reducing the chance someone will want to walk over you by 50%]. I do give a slight edge to 19D/H as there's no one behind you to worry about reclining into, and the bulkhead behind is far enough back to not cause any problem.

That said - I do think the extra inch of seat width is one of the most important things [look up Airbus studies they did about sleep showing width more important than seat pitch presuming normal height], even though I'm a lean guy. And the aisle is wider as well. That said - it's just unconscionable what AA [and everyone else] is doing with 3-4-3 in Y on this plane.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:54 pm

Making a mileage run with the gf (both Platinum) DFW-HKG, and most of what is open at this point are middle seats. I'm normally a window guy and she likes the aisle, and wanted input on if you all thought we should take the MCE middle seats (bulkhead ones are open) or go further back in normal econ and do aisle-aisle (she's smart enough to know if I offer to do window-middle further back and that we'll switch at hour 8 that I'll probably back out)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
This is clearly personal choice, but I would choose any aisle seat to any middle seat, even bulkhead. In general I tend to feel a greater need of "shoulder or elbow room" than "leg room". YMMV, obviously.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
tough one - - if it's middle-bulk, I might be tempted. I would keep a close eye on the seat map, daily, and hope for something to open up.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Take the middle MCE seat. If you've never sat in 777 3-4-3, it is miserable, even in an aisle seat. The aisle is so narrow, every time a cart goes by, or some one walks past you, they bump into you. It's impossible not to, even if you walk sideways. I did it 12+ hours JFK-AUH on Etihad and it was miserable. It is the width of MCE even more than the pitch that makes them so much more comfortable. Plus, you'll likely be able to move to a window or aisle if you're vigilant as upgrades clear closer to departure.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
hey guys i just have a question about leg room. I fly regularly on the AA B737-800 in coach (not MCE) and i find the legroom on that aircraft to be extremely poor ( I am 6'3) . I have also flown on the B763 and while it certainly is not amazing, it is definitely more adequate than on the 738. Can anyone tell me what the legroom on the B77W is like in comparison to the B738? I know that the seat width will feel tighter as the configuration is horrible, but hopefully as long as the leg room isn't too terrible ill survive. Unfortunately all the have left is middle seats in the MCE cabin, and i don't want to spend 17 hours stuck between two people
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rvlcr
Unfortunately all the have left is middle seats in the MCE cabin, and i don't want to spend 17 hours stuck between two people
I'd take that middle seat in MCE over anything in the back.

Then watch the seat map like a hawk for the last 72 hours as upgrades may open up a better MCE option.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:51 pm

If you are flying with a companion it makes sense to go with 17, 18, or 19 middle rows. Book both aisles and leave the middle seat open. Even if someone books the middle and you end up giving them one of your aisles, they will have their own exit point and your companion can freely climb over or scoot by you allowing for an easy in, easy out row.

Taking 16 middle row with a companion makes no sense... Taking one of the window rows in MCE with a companion also doesn't make sense unless you really need a window or wall to lean on.

Just my .02
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by woodboy
It is the width of MCE even more than the pitch that makes them so much more comfortable.
Ding ding ding.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Just how narrow are the Economy seats and aisles on an AA 777?
Are they smaller than the seats on Boeing 737 or Airbus 320, planes used by many airlines for short haul flights in Europe.
Are the aisles narrower than a B737 or A320?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:16 pm

Best seats Economy Boeing 777-300ER and Airbus Jet

Hi all

Could you help me about the seatplan? Which are the best seats in economy in a AA Boeing 777-300ER and an Airbus Jet.
I can choose between every eco seat (Oneworld status...).

Many thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.