Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:35 pm

Can you reserve seats for free as a gold?

i’m on a BA operated AA flight number in PE, and would like to select seats if possible, without paying BA’s fees.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thedeeg
Can you reserve seats for free as a gold?

i’m on a BA operated AA flight number in PE, and would like to select seats if possible, without paying BA’s fees.
Within 7 days of departure , those with OneWorld Ruby status can select seats free of charge

If you are within 7 days of departure, then yes you can
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Within 7 days of departure , those with OneWorld Ruby status can select seats free of charge

If you are within 7 days of departure, then yes you can
That was my understanding. And i’m not within 7 days, so will keep an eye on expert flyer and hope for the best.

thank you.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by La Tache
I became an AAdvantage platinum member about 2 weeks ago and have been unable to select seats without a fee on an upcoming flight operated by BA. I've spoken to the Platinum desk and BA over the phone and they both say the other is responsible for the error. Any suggestions on how to reserve the seats without paying BA's fees?
I would get the BA record locator and then contact BA to remove your AA membership number from the booking.

Then go to BA's mamange booking and add the number back in. It will then almost certainly pick up your new status
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I was in a similar situation last year, when I just turned platinum, but this was not reflected in bookings made prior to turning platinum. I had luck with seat selection, by contacting the BA twitter team. I just sent them a DM about the seat I wanted, and they were able to select a seat for me.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by La Tache
I became an AAdvantage platinum member about 2 weeks ago and have been unable to select seats without a fee on an upcoming flight operated by BA. I've spoken to the Platinum desk and BA over the phone and they both say the other is responsible for the error. Any suggestions on how to reserve the seats without paying BA's fees?
You called the Olatinum prioritized number to the call center. Only CK and EP have separate “desks”, and since the LAX, TUS, BDL EP. enters closed there are some EP agents that are t very knowledgeable or helpful. I’m telling you this to adjust your expectations and be sure you’re ready to Hang Up Call Again if you get an agent who is not helpful. (And I’ve occasionally had atrocious service calling BA.)

As others have said, removing tour FFN and adding it again at MMB (Managr My Booking, where I’ve sometimes entered the AA PNR and have had the BAEC site render the BA PNR. If you booked before your Sapphire status was reflected on your AA account, BA may not have your correct status tier.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
My wife who recently did a PLT status match, had the same problem, AA says it shows for then,BA said they could see it but the system would not let them book seats,
the very nice BA agent was able to override the system and give my wife the seat next to me.
I found that after our trip, the problem was solved. (the BA call center I was talking to was based out of India, and well I can speak to them in their native tongue.)
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Be aware you can not select seats until EXACTLY 7 days prior (at the departure time.)

So if your flight leaves at 7pm, you will not be able to select seats online until it is 7pm (time of departure city), one week prior.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Pardon the question if its been asked before but are exit seats only available by paying even on OW Sapphire (AA Plat)?

*NM - I think I found my answer. I would have to pay regardless.

Last edited by living near shamu; Jul 10, 2018 at 10:34 am
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question Economy Exit Row seat on BA for AA Platinum?

I have an Economy reservation on BA (LHR to SJC) booked on AA as AA Economy award with AA miles. I got the BA record locator.
I logged in to my Executive Club account on BA, found the reservation and was able select a seat. But it shows that for Economy Exit Row seat I have to pay $95.
I am AA Platinum. Do I deserve an Economy exit row seat without a fee? Or BA are right in wanting to charge me for it?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Your seat selection should be free as a one world sapphire member. When you access your flight on the BA website add your Advantage member info to the booking. That should allow you to select the seat. Alternately you can call and give them the info. Also have you tried selecting the seat on the AA website?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IntFF
I have an Economy reservation on BA (LHR to SJC) booked on AA as AA Economy award with AA miles. I got the BA record locator.
I logged in to my Executive Club account on BA, found the reservation and was able select a seat. But it shows that for Economy Exit Row seat I have to pay $95.

I am AA Platinum. Do I deserve an Economy exit row seat without a fee? Or BA are right in wanting to charge me for it?
No.
Yes. You need to pay. Or just wait until closer to departure
OW Sapphire = AA Plat = BA Silver
OW Emerald = AA Exp Plat = BA Gold

BA Seating Policy Guide
Exit row seats
Premier or Gold Executive Club cardholders (and oneworld equivalents) are eligible to request exit row seating for themselves and any companion(s) without charge at the time of booking whether they are in the same booking or on a separate booking. However, for companions who aren't on the same booking, the TCP and seating request has to be done by phone.

All other customers (including Silver and Bronze Executive Club card holders and oneworld equivalents) wishing to request an exit seat in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus can pay for an exit row seat from 14 days until 4 days before their flight, subject to availability. On short-haul, exit row seat assignments are free to oneworld Sapphire members from time of booking and from 7 days prior to departure for oneworld Ruby members.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:59 am

Just tried to select seats for a flight in 7 days as OW sapphire. No seats available for selection. So got to wait until check in to figure out what seats we can get.

So frustrating to not be able to select seats at the time of booking, let alone within 7 days of the flight.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Seat allocation on BA with AA booking

I have recently achieved Platinum on AA which entitles me, as OW sapphire, to a seat choice on BA as soon as booked. Currently have a reservation through AA fRT rom JFK to LHR amy outward flight being on BA. My new status doesn't show on the BA website so am unable to select my seat. Have emailed both AA and BA, contacted both by phone without any success. Does anyone have any ideas or experience in this situation?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:22 pm

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc.

Have a read through the thread.

in short, I think delete and re-add your FFN from the BA booking is the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.