Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Gold
Same issue, by chance did you name come through Middle First Last on the BA side but looks good on AA and on Finnair or other side?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by cbkcc1
Same issue, by chance did you name come through Middle First Last on the BA side but looks good on AA and on Finnair or other side?
Nope, no issues with name... I remember this worked OK back when I had “regular” status with AA, but not this time.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spongenotbob

Nope, no issues with name... I remember this worked OK back when I had “regular” status with AA, but not this time.
I would get the number removed from the booking , then go to the BA site and add the number again; don't have an agent do it - this way you can be sure it was removed and added again, There should be no issue with the platinum status showing on BA, even though it is a temporary challenge status
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would get the number removed from the booking , then go to the BA site and add the number again; don't have an agent do it - this way you can be sure it was removed and added again, There should be no issue with the platinum status showing on BA, even though it is a temporary challenge status
In case anyone is curious, I finally got an official answer on this one from someone deep within the bowels of AAdvantage. The AA Platinum status will not show for external (Oneworld) purposes until end of March. Seems like the processing of this temporary AA Platinum status is a very manual process.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:19 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
AA Vacation package BA and AA, selecting seats on BA

Via AA Vacations I booked a pkg, for AA flts I was able to select seats. On AA.COM for the BA flts I was sent to BA.COM, but BA had already assigned me seats[which didn't show on AA.COM]. To get all seat assignments to show on AA.COM, I had to CHANGE BA's seats to some other seats and confirm--seems like a "screwy" arrangement.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nrr
Via AA Vacations I booked a pkg, for AA flts I was able to select seats. On AA.COM for the BA flts I was sent to BA.COM, but BA had already assigned me seats[which didn't show on AA.COM]. To get all seat assignments to show on AA.COM, I had to CHANGE BA's seats to some other seats and confirm--seems like a "screwy" arrangement.
The AA and BA IT platforms don’t communicate with each other very well, and in most cases one can not select seats on BA without paying for the privilege (exception for AA Plat, PPro and EXP, iirc). If you update your seats on BA using BAEC MMB / Manage My Booking, they probably won’t update on aa.com.

This is one reason why I use TripIt to aggregate my trips.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:58 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
The AA and BA IT platforms don’t communicate with each other very well, and in most cases one can not select seats on BA without paying for the privilege (exception for AA Plat, PPro and EXP, iirc). If you update your seats on BA using BAEC MMB / Manage My Booking, they probably won’t update on aa.com.

This is one reason why I use TripIt to aggregate my trips.
My BA seats only updated on AA after I changed them, if I wanted to keep what was assigned (by BA) it didn't--I guess I could have changed what was assigned to something else and then changed my new selection back to the originally assigned seats...too convoluted.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
In case anyone is curious, I finally got an official answer on this one from someone deep within the bowels of AAdvantage. The AA Platinum status will not show for external (Oneworld) purposes until end of March. Seems like the processing of this temporary AA Platinum status is a very manual process.
​​​​​​Were you told if the manual processing was at the end of every month? Or at a certain interval? Wondering if I signed up for the temp AA plat status today, if it would help me booking seats for free on BA within the next week or so. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
​​​​​​Were you told if the manual processing was at the end of every month? Or at a certain interval? Wondering if I signed up for the temp AA plat status today, if it would help me booking seats for free on BA within the next week or so. Thanks in advance!
No, unfortunately, they weren't that specific. I wouldn't assume it was on such a predictable schedule...
Old May 14, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I tried the finnair suggestion to get BA booking to show Gold status, did not work. When I booked this from a cancelled award with LHR-SEA in business, agent told me I could get a seat 7 days but BA only shows seat available 24 hours. Do Gold qualify for 7 days seating assignments?
Old May 14, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rkh29
I tried the finnair suggestion to get BA booking to show Gold status, did not work. When I booked this from a cancelled award with LHR-SEA in business, agent told me I could get a seat 7 days but BA only shows seat available 24 hours. Do Gold qualify for 7 days seating assignments?
It should work as long as your AA Gold / OW Ruby status is showing on the booking, which requires your AA number to be on the booking. If you moved up to Gold after the number was added then you may need to have it removed and put back.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by MADPhil
It should work as long as your AA Gold / OW Ruby status is showing on the booking, which requires your AA number to be on the booking. If you moved up to Gold after the number was added then you may need to have it removed and put back.
Gold status not showing. Have been LT for years.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:29 pm

Platinum unable to select seats on flight operated by BA

I became an AAdvantage platinum member about 2 weeks ago and have been unable to select seats without a fee on an upcoming flight operated by BA. I've spoken to the Platinum desk and BA over the phone and they both say the other is responsible for the error. Any suggestions on how to reserve the seats without paying BA's fees?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:21 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by La Tache
I became an AAdvantage platinum member about 2 weeks ago and have been unable to select seats without a fee on an upcoming flight operated by BA. I've spoken to the Platinum desk and BA over the phone and they both say the other is responsible for the error. Any suggestions on how to reserve the seats without paying BA's fees?
I've had the same problem as a Gold not that long ago on J Seats and for me it was just a matter of calling back BA and getting a different agent that actually knew what they were doing. I think it has to be done from the BA side. Good luck!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by La Tache
Try calling AA back. Also do you have the BA PNR? Try logging into BA.com and see if you can select it there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.