Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Award seats should be able to select seats, just not the better (exit, bulkhead etc) seats. You as AA Platinum (OW Sapphire) should be able to select betters seats, try to change your FF on RJ or Finnair website using the BA record locator (Amadeus) which will be visible when AA redirect you to BA.com.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Use Finnair.com to remove the status. Exit out of the page then add it back in. You can use your BA (Amadeus) PNR with the Finnair website.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:29 am
dso

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Question Seat Reservations on BA Metal when booking award flight with AA miles?

Hi,
I apologize if this was answered prior - but couldn't find the exact situation.
I am aware of the horrid BA fees when booking and flight (say, LAX-LHR) solely with AA miles on AA, flying on BA; and I am also aware of BA charging for seat reservations in business (and below).

Question: If I book a business ticket flying on BA, solely with AA miles - can I make a seat reservation? I.e. will I get a BA PNR after booking that will enable me - for a fee - to reserve said business seats or is this a problem with award tickets?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Yes, you'll get an BA (Amadeus) PNR. Entering your AA PNR into BA's website should also pull up the correct reservation, and display the Amadeus PNR.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:09 pm
dso

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Yes, you'll get an BA (Amadeus) PNR. Entering your AA PNR into BA's website should also pull up the correct reservation, and display the Amadeus PNR.
Great- appreciate the reply!
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:31 pm
dso

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Quick followup -
I have the reservation now - and a BA PNR (in Club World). However, when I go to seat selection there, I have no way to pay for / select them. It just tells me "Seat choices are only available at check-in".

Now, checking back on AA's site, the reservation has a status of "On Request". Should I assume that that's the problem - but that once it changes to 'confirmed' seat res on BA's site will be available for me (for a charge) ?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:09 pm

My experience is that once the rservation has been ticketed you can select seats by paying but that you can’t do anything until the status in american is ticketed. I have never had to pay for seats booked in first or business using miles only coach and I always use american miles
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:58 pm
dso

Originally Posted by tennessetom
My experience is that once the rservation has been ticketed you can select seats by paying but that you can’t do anything until the status in american is ticketed. I have never had to pay for seats booked in first or business using miles only coach and I always use american miles
Hi - and thank you!
Ok - I will wait till the AA status go to 'ticketed' or confirmed (versus the 'On Request', which it's been at for a few hours now) and check again.
I'll post to let 'everyone' know if it let me do it free of charge in U class.

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
It's been my (J class) experience that if you do not have OW status, you will be charged a fee to select seats regardless of the class of service on BA.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:55 pm
dso

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
It's been my (J class) experience that if you do not have OW status, you will be charged a fee to select seats regardless of the class of service on BA.
Thanks. Yeah, I too think/thouht that BA would charge me due to my status - regardless of having booked Business (U class) - which is fine... I just would really like to MAKE these reservations (fee or not)
So far it's been 5 hours on 'On Request" in AA's systems, and the BA PNR continues to show 'tickets at checkin' with no way to select (pay for) seats yet...
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

A fee is charged by BA for any seat other than the First cabin before the 24 hour check-in. Even in First if you have a connecting flight that " downgrades" to business......you can't get the seats for that second flight unless you pay a premium. Kind of sucks.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dso
So far it's been 5 hours on 'On Request" in AA's systems, and the BA PNR continues to show 'tickets at checkin' with no way to select (pay for) seats yet...
Did you get an email from AA that says, "Your trip confirmation and receipt?"
It usually takes a few hours for AA ticketing to go through. I've recently made some AA mileage award bookings for QF, and the emails have come within 2-3 hours.
When is your travel? You could always give AA a call (or send a message via Twitter) to make sure everything is ok.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:08 pm
dso

Originally Posted by aztimm
Did you get an email from AA that says, "Your trip confirmation and receipt?"
It usually takes a few hours for AA ticketing to go through. I've recently made some AA mileage award bookings for QF, and the emails have come within 2-3 hours.
When is your travel? You could always give AA a call (or send a message via Twitter) to make sure everything is ok.
Thanks!
No email or anything.... The flight is 'in the system' at AA and BA (have both PNRs), but no ticketing yet ("on request"). Been about 7 hours now. I suppose I'll call AA later tonight to find out what's going on...?

Thx
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:42 am
dso

Alright,
so have an email with ticket numbers (2 tickets, same PNR) as expected now. Status on AA now shows 'ticketed'! Yay!
AND, I can choose seats on BA (as expected, for a charge - which I still find pretty obnoxious in Business class - but oh well).

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If status change occurs or is not picked up, the quickest and easiest way to get it fixed is simply to remove the number and add ti back in again. This can be done in very little time online at the Finnair manage booking page

If at 7 days prior to departure it doesn't allow seat selection, then removing and re-adding is what I would suggest ; prior to that just wait
I'm currently on an AA Platinum challenge ... have temporary AA Platinum status showing on aa.com and in the app.

However, BA says they can't see the status and are wanting $$ for seat assignments. The trip on BA (previously booked) is within the 3-month challenge window.

I asked BA to remove and refresh my AA number ... they did, and still say they can't see it and there's nothing they can do about it.

Is this normal? (NB: I will complete the challenge with this BA trip, ironically...)

Thanks FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.