Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Physci
As you are on different PNRs, you will need to call BA and ask them to allocate seating. This is a manual process so best to look up which seats you want in advance of calling.
I called BA and had an interesting if time-consuming experience. At first the rep didn't know about any such privilege for OWE and I had to guide him to the relevant web page. That over, his system wouldn't let him assign the seat without $15 (or he didn't know how). After 40 mins on the phone, he said he had sent a request for the seat to be assigned and I should check back tomorrow. Maybe it was a case of HUCA and I goofed.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by aktchi
I called BA and had an interesting if time-consuming experience. At first the rep didn't know about any such privilege for OWE and I had to guide him to the relevant web page. That over, his system wouldn't let him assign the seat without $15 (or he didn't know how). After 40 mins on the phone, he said he had sent a request for the seat to be assigned and I should check back tomorrow. Maybe it was a case of HUCA and I goofed.
Sounds like you had a frustrating experience. If you need to chase this again, refer the agent to TCP linking requests. Detailed instructions for agents can be found here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...licies/seating
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Definitely a case of HUCA. I got the "sending a seat request" response last summer trying to get a non-status companion seated with me on a CE flight. After two weeks the request was still in the queue but a different agent was able to make the assignment immediately. The same agent also got a seat assignment for the companion on a BA flight I wasn't even on.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Just adding what a ridiculous fee this is - I'm OWE but booked a res with my AA miles for family and I can't pick their seat. BA wants 99GBP. That is obscene. This is not Ryanair.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This morning (about 5 hours ago), I purchased a R/T on AA.com that includes two flights on AA metal and two flights on BA metal with AA flight numbers. I assigned seats for the two AA flights and used Qantas.com to get to my BA flights.

I was expecting to see something to the effect of "seat assignments available 7 days prior to flight." (The flights are in 2018.) Instead I saw "seat assignments available at check-in." My AA Gold number was attached at time of purchase and is correctly showing in the BA record.

Is this just something that takes a day or two to propagate? (Specifically, my Ruby status.) Or is this something I'm going to have to try to figure out in person or via phone once I get to the 7-day point? I will be in an airport exactly 7 days prior to the FCO-LHR departure, but I would rather just deal with this in the app or mobile site if possible.

The ticket is a normal paid coach ticket...FCO-LHR-JFK are the two BA segments. I was shown the offer to pay for seats now, but only at ridiculously high prices for otherwise not awesome seats.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Are the flights ticketed yet? If not, wait until they are ticketed and try again.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
This morning (about 5 hours ago), I purchased a R/T on AA.com that includes two flights on AA metal and two flights on BA metal with AA flight numbers. I assigned seats for the two AA flights and used Qantas.com to get to my BA flights.

I was expecting to see something to the effect of "seat assignments available 7 days prior to flight." (The flights are in 2018.) Instead I saw "seat assignments available at check-in." My AA Gold number was attached at time of purchase and is correctly showing in the BA record.

Is this just something that takes a day or two to propagate? (Specifically, my Ruby status.) Or is this something I'm going to have to try to figure out in person or via phone once I get to the 7-day point? I will be in an airport exactly 7 days prior to the FCO-LHR departure, but I would rather just deal with this in the app or mobile site if possible.

The ticket is a normal paid coach ticket...FCO-LHR-JFK are the two BA segments. I was shown the offer to pay for seats now, but only at ridiculously high prices for otherwise not awesome seats.
My wife is AA Gold and faced a similar situation from BA during a recent trip: pay for advance seat selection, or free at check-in time. So your experience seems normal.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
Are the flights ticketed yet? If not, wait until they are ticketed and try again.
Yes, they're ticketed.

My wife is AA Gold and faced a similar situation from BA during a recent trip: pay for advance seat selection, or free at check-in time. So your experience seems normal.
Did it ever correct itself on its own? Was she able to select seats 7 days in advance?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:11 pm

Did it ever correct itself on its own? Was she able to select seats 7 days in advance?
We had only one trip like this when she was on a separate ticket (usually we fly on the same ticket and my Emerald status allows us to choose seats for free). Her Ruby status was showing and BA still wanted money to assign seats. IIRC we just accepted the situation and waited till T-7 days for online checkin. Fortunately, plenty of decent choices were still available at check in, so didn't matter in the end.

I am not sure just what you expect to "correct itself"? If your ff number or OW status was incorrect, you could hope to get it corrected. In this case they have the correct info about you. What is going to get corrected by waiting?

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 24, 2017 at 10:20 pm
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:32 pm

I would not expect Qantas's manage booking to have any information about when free seat selection will be available - if seating cannot be assigned, then the standard message is that seat selection will be available at checkin

Assuming your OW Ruby status is in the booking, then when it is 7 days prior to departure, the record on the BA site will show that seat selction is available for free
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would not expect Qantas's manage booking to have any information about when free seat selection will be available - if seating cannot be assigned, then the standard message is that seat selection will be available at checkin

Assuming your OW Ruby status is in the booking, then when it is 7 days prior to departure, the record on the BA site will show that seat selction is available for free
Sorry...I meant used my AA PNR at Qantas.com to get a redirect to BA.com. I was looking at BA.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry...I meant used my AA PNR at Qantas.com to get a redirect to BA.com. I was looking at BA.
You can just click on the seat number on AA.com Check My Trip and it will automatically switch you to BA's Manage My Booking.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
You can just click on the seat number on AA.com Check My Trip and it will automatically switch you to BA's Manage My Booking.
My BA seat selection isn't a clickable option when viewed on AA.com. I have to log into BA's site to manage my seat selections.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Yesterday, there was just a dash next to the seat selection - no hyperlink. That's why I used Qantas. (While at Qantas.com, I copied and saved my BA record locator.)

Today, however, there's a "Choose Seats" option that directly links me to BA. Once at BA, it still does not appear to recognize my Ruby status. Still says I'll get a free seat at check-in. My correct AA number *is* there though.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:14 pm

Yesterday, there was just a dash next to the seat selection - no hyperlink. That's why I used Qantas. (While at Qantas.com, I copied and saved my BA record locator.)

Today, however, there's a "Choose Seats" option that directly links me to BA. Once at BA, it still does not appear to recognize my Ruby status. Still says I'll get a free seat at check-in. My correct AA number *is* there though.
Are you within 7 days of departure? if not, then just wait and it should change to free at that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.