Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ccengct
As if OWE could actually get ba.com to allow seat selection without paying. I'm EXP/OWE and have been for years. I can't get ba.com to assign a seat without being asked to pay. Just tried it again for a flight Saturday DEL-LHR in Club World.
I had no problem when I was AA PLT with my AA number on the booking.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:44 pm

As if OWE could actually get ba.com to allow seat selection without paying. I'm EXP/OWE and have been for years. I can't get ba.com to assign a seat without being asked to pay. Just tried it again for a flight Saturday DEL-LHR in Club World.
My experience is the same as the two previous posters. As an AA Plat/OW Sapphire, I've always been able to pick my seat at the time of reservation.

If booked through AA, I did need to obtain the BA record locator, and then use BA.com to access my record and easily pick/change seats.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I had the same problem. My AA# is attached to my reservation. I recently made OW Sapphire and BA.com said I still had to pay. I called BA and the agent refreshed my status. I tried after that and it let me select my seat free of charge.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:12 pm

Similar to others here, no problem for me to select seats (even exit row) or put in a meal request as EXP/OWE flying on BA metal.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by laagima
Similar to others here, no problem for me to select seats (even exit row) or put in a meal request as EXP/OWE flying on BA metal.
I am PLT/OWS going MCO-LGW-LCA and return
No charge for the TATL leg, unless I wanted to pay $81 for exit row
For the flight to Larnaca, I was able to select exit row for no fee
For the return, no fee on the flight from LCA, and exit row was booked already on the TATL
(This was booked through Expedia because the AA and BA site showed higher fares.) Economy tickets - N for the TATL, S for the "short" flights.

Last edited by mvoight; Aug 7, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by laagima
Do you book direct, or do you use (or does your employer require you to use) an Amadeus-based travel agent?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:15 am

Do you book direct, or do you use (or does your employer require you to use) an Amadeus-based travel agent?
I book on AA.com which then provides a direct link to the BA "manage my booking" site. For me as a OWE Y traveller, they are OK with check-in and boarding privileges, baggage allowance, fast track access at LHR, etc. but they are very stingy with comped upgrades to Y+ even on full flights unless they run out of even bronze or blue BA members. Fair enough, may be...
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:06 pm

Appears my problem arises from mandatory use of a corporate travel agent who is Amadeus-based. My AA number goes into the BA PNR in a way that doesn't trigger BA's recognition of elite status.

FWIW, this week I again tried the "Finnair workaround" -- using the Finnair website to remove my AA number from the reservation and then re-enter it -- and voila, the workaround is working again. This is a pain in the neck but at least it gets the job done.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
My AA number goes into the BA PNR in a way that doesn't trigger BA's recognition of elite status.
Speaking as a retire software person, I have to ask: What was this "way"? Did the number get padded with spaces, or something?

And, to pick on another website design sore point: Mine isn't a really "number" -- it has digits and letters. That led to trouble when trying to enter mine on the MH website from a tablet; I was presented with a phone-style keypad with no way to type letters.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Speaking as a retire software person, I have to ask: What was this "way"? Did the number get padded with spaces, or something?
As a software person myself, I have no idea. But it's bloody annoying.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by wesport
I am planning on using Advantage miles to book a BA flight. My question is whether you can pick seat assignments after you make the booking. I know BA charges you to pick a seat, so I would assume the same applies if you book with American. Thoughts?
you understand it correctly. I just booked LAX-PRG over Christmas for 2 of us in business class, with 3 of the 4 flights on BA, booked at AAVacations.com. Once it ticketed, I was able to select seats on the LAX-LHR flight (operated by AA), and the LHR-PRG flight (ticketed in J). The return PRG-LHR is ticketed in D class, so seat selection is $ 68, and the LHR-LAX on BA A380 is ticketed in I class, and they want $ 260 to select seats. Kinda surprising that paying for business class with actual money doesn't get you a seat assignment until 24 hours before the flight. My mistake for thinking every first world airline is as well-run (?) as AA.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Different airlines, different policies

As a OW Ruby member, you will be able to select seats for no charge at 7 days prior to departure. The BA system provides a great benefit in that there tens to be plenty of seat choices for those making bookings close to departure, buying J or C fares, or holding OW Sapphire/Emerald status

Do not see how it makes it not well-run
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my wife and i recently flew BWI-LHR-ATH-LHR-IAD IN I* all on BA. WE bought an AA vacation pack. we were NOT allowed to select seats, 24, or 12 hrs in advance. we were told our seat assignments would be made at the check-in. i called 12 hrs in advance, no seats. assignments at checkin were probably the seats we would have selected. side by side, with aisle access, and near the latrine.

the plane was a very old tired 767, that i think AA bought from taca. the seats were flat bed, sorta.

the food was not up to tatl standards, and the wines were downright lousy.

on the trip back the 777 was a bit newer, but same mediocre food and lousy wine.

we had a great time, wonderful hotel in athens, prices were all very reasonable, the natives were all great.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:21 pm

I'm flying BOS to LHR on AA 6200 (BA metal). As an AA platinum, am I allowed to select my seat 7 days before the start of my trip or the start of the BA portion? Also, any recommendations on which seat is better? I'm concerned if I pick 29 A/K it'll be hard to get up and stretch.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As an AA Platinum member , since this gives OW Sapphire status,, you should be able to select seats free of charge at any time after booking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.