Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SAN / San Diego Int'l. Airport AirSpace Lounge / "Admirals Club" (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
San Diego Lindbergh Field International Airport (SAN) Aspire Lounge
Terminal 2 East, near Gate 33

Link to SAN AA airport information.

Link to SAN airport web site.

Terminal 2, immediately to the left, before Gate 23

INFORMATION:
This former Airspace Lounge is a contract lounge that accepts Admirals Club members as well as American Express Centurion and Platinum members and certain premium cabin passengers on British Airways, Japan Airlines, and Edelweiss. All staff are contracted employees, there are no longer AA staff (“AAngels”) at the front desk.

Irrespective of travel class or airline, the Aspire Lounge at San Diego Airport is open to all guests departing from terminal 2. Guests at this lounge can enjoy a range of facilities including: free WiFi, complimentary showers, dedicated business areas and facilities and an expansive food and beverage menu. Formerly the Airspace Lounge, this airport lounge allows guests to separate themselves from the busy airport concourse and work, play or simply relax.

HOURS:
The hours and additional information are posted here.

AMENITIES:
  • Additional $10 credit for premium menu items included with every entry (Not available for Admirals Club members. Credit available for AMEX Platinum and Centurion holders. Passengers who access via BA or JL are entitled to two premium items, regardless of price)
  • Unlimited, complimentary soft drinks and light snacks
  • Full bar
  • Unlimited complimentary espresso and cappucino
  • Unlimited complimentary Peet's Coffees & Teas
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Power outlets at every seat
  • Semi-private conference room (Seats up to 6)
  • Complimentary printing
  • Complimentary scanning
  • Complimentary use of shower facility

Photographs
Credit: Swissport

Print Wikipost

SAN / San Diego Int'l. Airport AirSpace Lounge / "Admirals Club" (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 9:44 am

Hi,
My mom will be connecting through SAN with a 5 hour layover. She's doing NRT to SAN in JAL business, then onward to DFW on AA. I believe she will have access to the lounge due to her JAL flight being in business. Will she have unlimited access to the premium menu just by getting her JAL boarding pass stamped? (I read earlier about BA premium menu that was unlimited). Or is she entitled to just 2 items? Or is the JAL benefit only for departing passengers and not arriving?

She does not speak a lot of English, so I would like to explain it all to her so she knows what to expect before she departs on her trip.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old May 18, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DFW1972
Hi,
My mom will be connecting through SAN with a 5 hour layover. She's doing NRT to SAN in JAL business, then onward to DFW on AA. I believe she will have access to the lounge due to her JAL flight being in business. Will she have unlimited access to the premium menu just by getting her JAL boarding pass stamped? (I read earlier about BA premium menu that was unlimited). Or is she entitled to just 2 items? Or is the JAL benefit only for departing passengers and not arriving?

She does not speak a lot of English, so I would like to explain it all to her so she knows what to expect before she departs on her trip.

Thanks in advance for your help!
According to the Wiki she will get 2 items free, when I go to the Web page for the lounge, they talk about 2 free items with a paid entrance fee, but nowhere does it talk about when flying BA or JAL. I would assume your mom gets access on arrival. I would also assume they would have a Japanese speaker there.

Here is the Phone # and email for the lounge.

Phone 619.686.8581

Email: [email protected]
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Since this is technically a contract lounge, would I have access if I am an authorized user on a Citi AAdvantage Executive card, or are contract lounges only available to the main cardholder?
gateH15 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
Since this is technically a contract lounge, would I have access if I am an authorized user on a Citi AAdvantage Executive card, or are contract lounges only available to the main cardholder?
My wife is an authorized user on my account. I’ve had her present her card to the agent, with me as her guest and we’ve been allowed in without me having to show the primary card.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
Is it technically a contract lounge? I am not aware of actual AA AC employees working at any contract lounges. I thought it was a hybrid lounge.
AAway likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'll be at this lounge in a couple of weeks and looking at the website, it looks like wine, well drinks etc are paid only......is their no complimentary wine, well etc for AC members? How could they call this an AC location by charging for this stuff?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'll be at this lounge in a couple of weeks and looking at the website, it looks like wine, well drinks etc are paid only......is their no complimentary wine, well etc for AC members? How could they call this an AC location by charging for this stuff?
They will have complimentary house/well offerings, just like any other AC, although the complimentary selection will be slightly different than a typical AC.

Complimentary food offerings, on the other hand, are very poor. You’ll find a couple of the old style snack mix containers and usually some dried up chocolate chip cookies and stale fruit.

if you have an Amex PLT card, use it to check in instead of your AC membership, and you’ll get a $10 Airspace credit on a hotel room key style card that you can redeem at the bar for food/drink (I usually check in with both my PLT card and AC membership, which agents there have previously told me helps the lounge business-wise).
AAway and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Access as Oneworld elite flying domestic AA

Doesn't appear to be addressed so here's my data point.
Oneworld (NON-AA) emerald flying AA SAN to ORD.
Scanned my boarding pass and got free drink tickets.
No problem.
When they ask "Admirals Club or Amex", go with Admirals Club.

Last edited by izzik; Dec 30, 2019 at 6:38 am
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by izzik
Doesn't appear to be addressed so here's my data point.
Oneworld emerald flying AA SAN to ORD.
Scanned my boarding pass and got free drink tickets.
No problem.
When they ask "Admirals Club or Amex", go with Admirals Club.
To be clear, though, AA's own Emeralds (Executive Platinums) do not receive free drink chits. That's why U.S. based flyers may find the $10 Amex food/drink credit beneficial (although virtually everything on the menu is over $10 anyway, so it's clearly designed to motivate you to spend something in the lounge). If your method of Admirals Club access (non-AA OWS/OWE) provides you drink tickets, then obviously that is the better option.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Of course, non-AA oneworld elite is implied. I'll edit the post.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I'm sitting the the CLE Airspace lounge and the bartender said they're closing at the end of January. I think this would make SAN the last one in the system. Not sure why they'd continue as a one off after the current lease expires (I don't know when this is). Assume they'd continues as an AA lounge if this happens?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
I'm sitting the the CLE Airspace lounge and the bartender said they're closing at the end of January. I think this would make SAN the last one in the system. Not sure why they'd continue as a one off after the current lease expires (I don't know when this is). Assume they'd continues as an AA lounge if this happens?
The business model at SAN is different where a number of airlines contract to Airspace to be their contract lounge. I don't believe that was the case at JFK with B6 or at CLE.
jfinsocal likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Has anyone been in the Airspace SAN lounge since the pandemic using our Admirals Club membership (*and* as we normally can as AC members, not be flying AA)? This is my first pandemic-era flight ex-SAN, and this was clockwork pre-pandemic (using an AC membership to gain access as AA contracted with Airspace, even if not flying AA). AA site doesn't mention SAN/Airspace as being open, and airspace site doesn't mention AC membership being allowed entry.

Anyone with experience? Airspace SAN is open for sure (albeit with limited hours), just wanted to see if I can access as normal with AC membership esp. whether flying AA or even non-AA (since DL and UA clubs are closed here).

Thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:31 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Don’t have an answer, unfortunately, but word is this AC is closing for good shortly.

(Also don’t forget if you’re not flying AA or a partner you can’t access the ACs.)
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Insiderdude
Has anyone been in the Airspace SAN lounge since the pandemic using our Admirals Club membership (*and* as we normally can as AC members, not be flying AA)? This is my first pandemic-era flight ex-SAN, and this was clockwork pre-pandemic (using an AC membership to gain access as AA contracted with Airspace, even if not flying AA). AA site doesn't mention SAN/Airspace as being open, and airspace site doesn't mention AC membership being allowed entry.

Anyone with experience? Airspace SAN is open for sure (albeit with limited hours), just wanted to see if I can access as normal with AC membership esp. whether flying AA or even non-AA (since DL and UA clubs are closed here).

Thanks.
Yes, they are open and accepting both Admirals Club and Alaska Lounge memberships like normal.
dw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.