Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SAN / San Diego Int'l. Airport AirSpace Lounge / "Admirals Club" (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
San Diego Lindbergh Field International Airport (SAN) Aspire Lounge
Terminal 2 East, near Gate 33

Link to SAN AA airport information.

Link to SAN airport web site.

Terminal 2, immediately to the left, before Gate 23

INFORMATION:
This former Airspace Lounge is a contract lounge that accepts Admirals Club members as well as American Express Centurion and Platinum members and certain premium cabin passengers on British Airways, Japan Airlines, and Edelweiss. All staff are contracted employees, there are no longer AA staff (“AAngels”) at the front desk.

Irrespective of travel class or airline, the Aspire Lounge at San Diego Airport is open to all guests departing from terminal 2. Guests at this lounge can enjoy a range of facilities including: free WiFi, complimentary showers, dedicated business areas and facilities and an expansive food and beverage menu. Formerly the Airspace Lounge, this airport lounge allows guests to separate themselves from the busy airport concourse and work, play or simply relax.

HOURS:
The hours and additional information are posted here.

AMENITIES:
  • Additional $10 credit for premium menu items included with every entry (Not available for Admirals Club members. Credit available for AMEX Platinum and Centurion holders. Passengers who access via BA or JL are entitled to two premium items, regardless of price)
  • Unlimited, complimentary soft drinks and light snacks
  • Full bar
  • Unlimited complimentary espresso and cappucino
  • Unlimited complimentary Peet's Coffees & Teas
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Power outlets at every seat
  • Semi-private conference room (Seats up to 6)
  • Complimentary printing
  • Complimentary scanning
  • Complimentary use of shower facility

Photographs
Credit: Swissport

Print Wikipost

SAN / San Diego Int'l. Airport AirSpace Lounge / "Admirals Club" (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:12 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Yes, they are open and accepting both Admirals Club and Alaska Lounge memberships like normal.
This. I see AA.com has been updated to list this lounge as a “partner” lounge so AC credentials will still allow entry.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This would be such a bad move to close access to this lounge over some others
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Indeed they have! This was really updated very recently because as of my original post SAN was not listed.

I’ve never seen the Airspace folks process AA memberships before (pre-pandemic times); it has always been the other way around - the angled desks manned by our favorite teams especially our dear friend with the bow tie collection. AA greeting, then they yell “Amex” or “Airspace” into their radios for the last desk to process those memberships. There have been more than a few visits where I didn’t make it past the front desk ... just catching up on life with the AA team and before I knew it ... boarding. I’m going to miss them (first flight back 2 weeks from today) - hope to see them again soon!
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Huh? I was literally here today I accessed via Amex but both AS and AA lounge memberships were accepted and displayed prominently at T2 check-in and throughout the AA/AS wings of the terminal.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Insiderdude
Indeed they have! This was really updated very recently because as of my original post SAN was not listed.

I’ve never seen the Airspace folks process AA memberships before (pre-pandemic times); it has always been the other way around - the angled desks manned by our favorite teams especially our dear friend with the bow tie collection. AA greeting, then they yell “Amex” or “Airspace” into their radios for the last desk to process those memberships. There have been more than a few visits where I didn’t make it past the front desk ... just catching up on life with the AA team and before I knew it ... boarding. I’m going to miss them (first flight back 2 weeks from today) - hope to see them again soon!
This was my experience too. During IRROPS, there would be a line of passengers waiting for flight assistance from the AAngels, and the poor AC members not affected by the IRROPS would have to wait in line because the AirSpace staff were unable to check them in, while passengers entering via other credentials were expedited in with the help of the AirSpace staff.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
If/when AA terminates access to the lounge for AC members, only other option besides Amex Platinum for AA passengers looks to be pay-in via Swissport website starting at $25.99 per visit.

Does not make any sense to me that AA would do so, however, as AS sends its members there too. That would create an unusual disparity given the lounge arrangements between the two carriers; plus, the volume of AA traffic at SAN certainly warrants a club.

Airspace Lounge
True, in the past, but AA keeps cutting flights from SAN.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by skunker
True, in the past, but AA keeps cutting flights from SAN.
Well, I wouldn't write off AA from SAN yet ... for example starting May 6 they're bringing back 2x SAN-JFK-SAN - good timing too (even though equipment-wise they can't compete with other lie-flats on the route especially on the redeyes, but with codesharing w/ B6 that gives options).

The head-scratcher is SAN-LAX is not back on the schedule at all through 330+ on the GDS. Which makes connections through LAX that much more difficult ... if not impossible without the trek up and toll charge on the 73. Hoping that will change.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Well, I wouldn't write off AA from SAN yet ... for example starting May 6 they're bringing back 2x SAN-JFK-SAN - good timing too (even though equipment-wise they can't compete with other lie-flats on the route especially on the redeyes, but with codesharing w/ B6 that gives options).
Has AA published a realistic schedule for May yet? Given recent trends, I'd expect an update towards the end of this month. Everything on the schedule from May 6th onwards is mostly the prepandemic schedule minus route cancellations.

It'd be interesting to see if AA chooses to resume SAN-JFK. AS is offering service to EWR, and looking to add JFK in late May (initially the plan was for AS to start SAN-JFK in early April).

The head-scratcher is SAN-LAX is not back on the schedule at all through 330+ on the GDS. Which makes connections through LAX that much more difficult ... if not impossible without the trek up and toll charge on the 73. Hoping that will change.
SAN-LAX on AA is gone and I don't see it coming back for a long while. AA has significantly cut int'l routes out of LAX down to the profitable ones so there's not much else to connect to. Other TPAC flying will mostly go through DFW/SEA. Domestic will connect through PHX/DFW hubs. If anything, I can see AS jumping in *if* there ultimately is a need for SAN-LAX service.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
Has AA published a realistic schedule for May yet? Given recent trends, I'd expect an update towards the end of this month. Everything on the schedule from May 6th onwards is mostly the prepandemic schedule minus route cancellations.

It'd be interesting to see if AA chooses to resume SAN-JFK. AS is offering service to EWR, and looking to add JFK in late May (initially the plan was for AS to start SAN-JFK in early April).

SAN-LAX on AA is gone and I don't see it coming back for a long while. AA has significantly cut int'l routes out of LAX down to the profitable ones so there's not much else to connect to. Other TPAC flying will mostly go through DFW/SEA. Domestic will connect through PHX/DFW hubs. If anything, I can see AS jumping in *if* there ultimately is a need for SAN-LAX service.
Here is what is published ... for now. SAN-JFK was already gone this time last year (and I think even the year before that, so part of me thinks -wishfully- this is somewhat realistic?

SAN ALTERNATE CLD MYF SDM SEE/JFK ALTERNATE EWR LGA SWF
DLY #AA 833 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 924P 600A#1 N 738 RR0
EFF 06MAY DIS 18JUN
X345 #AA2458 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 719A 356P N 738 RR0
EFF 29MAY DIS 01JUN
X35 #AA2458 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 719A 356P N 738 RR0
EFF 16MAY DIS 23MAY
35 #AA2458 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 719A 356P N 738 RR0
EFF 12MAY DIS 14MAY
EFF 19MAY DIS 21MAY
X35 #AA2458 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 719A 356P N 738 RR0
EFF 08MAY DIS 15MAY
EFF 26MAY DIS 28MAY
124 #AA2458 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 719A 356P N 738 RR0
EFF 24MAY DIS 27MAY
5 #AA2458 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 719A 356P N 738 RR0
EFF 07MAY DIS 07MAY
4 #AA2458 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 719A 356P N 738 RR0
EFF 06MAY DIS 06MAY

As to SAN-LAX, I'd think there would be enough connecting traffic post-pandemic - I've seen a regular-ish group that do SAN-LAX-JFK (and return) on the 321 in J. I understand they are removing some long haul like HKG, but one would think SAN-LAX-LHR, and the aforementioned JFK premium service could warrant a few SAN-LAX's on the schedule! Crossing fingers...

And the above SAN-JFK schedule stablilizes after June ... again, for now (even if the redeye is only on a few days):

DLY #AA2458 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 719A 356P N 738 RR0
EFF 23JUN DIS 29AUG
X17 #AA 833 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 924P 600A#1 N 738 RR0
EFF 22JUN DIS 04SEP
17 #AA 833 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 924P 600A#1 N 738 RR0
EFF 27JUN DIS 06SEP

Beyond and into the fall (redeye comes back daily...):

EFF 30AUG DIS 06SEP
EFF 07SEP DIS 30OCT
17 #AA 833 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 924P 600A#1 N 738 RR0
EFF 27JUN DIS 06SEP
EFF 07SEP DIS 11SEP
DLY #AA 833 R J C D S Y B H SANJFK- 924P 600A#1 N 738 RR0
EFF 12SEP DIS 30OCT
EFF 22JUN DIS 04SEP

Last edited by Insiderdude; Mar 11, 2021 at 5:40 pm Reason: comment add
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
IIRC SAN-JFK was initially removed when the 737 MAX was pulled from service. I seem to recall it going back on the schedule with another 737 variant, but I do not remember if it actually flew or not before the pandemic. I don't believe it's a recent addition to the schedule though. There's a weekly OAG thread on Anet that documents this in case anyone wants to check.

I personally would like for some sort of shuttle service returning from either AS or AA, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it. There's obviously going to be destinations that aren't well served or convenient for SAN, but looking at the route network of AA and its partners, not having SAN-LAX isn't as detrimental as it initially felt when I first saw the route being cut. BA has daily SAN-LHR service. Yes, you miss out on the various lounges + premium offerings at LAX but it really isn't the end of the world, especially if travel still heavily skews towards leisure for the next couple of years.

I'm guessing the route was axed to stay in compliance with scope clause limits, but I wonder if AA will find better places to use those regional jets.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
No LAX often let’s matrix route me SAN - DFW - LAX - x so a win for the dumb routing kinda of us
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
No LAX often let’s matrix route me SAN - DFW - LAX - x so a win for the dumb routing kinda of us
I was surprised to be offered OGG-DFW-SAN as one of the primary options (at a reasonable price) when looking at upcoming flights, which isn't the worst thing with the 777 on OGG-DFW, but I'm not sure that would have been offered as one of the primary options in the past. Without LAX-SAN, I guess they're allowing connections through airports other than PHX.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I miss this flight already. Pretty sure that literally every time I've been on it, I've thought about how nice it was compared to driving up the 5 instead... the pleasant 20 minute flight, even with having to navigate the remote terminal at LAX, is preferable to that drive and parking a car at LAX.

Well, I wouldn't write off AA from SAN yet ... for example starting May 6 they're bringing back 2x SAN-JFK-SAN - good timing too (even though equipment-wise they can't compete with other lie-flats on the route especially on the redeyes.
Used to be a 767-300 route... SAN isn't getting much love from AA lately.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Is there still free well booze for AC members?
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AAway
Is there still free well booze for AC members?
Not the last time I was there but that was pre pandemic. Had to pay for everything as an AC member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.