Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SAN / San Diego Int'l. Airport AirSpace Lounge / "Admirals Club" (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
San Diego Lindbergh Field International Airport (SAN) Aspire Lounge
Terminal 2 East, near Gate 33

Link to SAN AA airport information.

Link to SAN airport web site.

Terminal 2, immediately to the left, before Gate 23

INFORMATION:
This former Airspace Lounge is a contract lounge that accepts Admirals Club members as well as American Express Centurion and Platinum members and certain premium cabin passengers on British Airways, Japan Airlines, and Edelweiss. All staff are contracted employees, there are no longer AA staff (“AAngels”) at the front desk.

Irrespective of travel class or airline, the Aspire Lounge at San Diego Airport is open to all guests departing from terminal 2. Guests at this lounge can enjoy a range of facilities including: free WiFi, complimentary showers, dedicated business areas and facilities and an expansive food and beverage menu. Formerly the Airspace Lounge, this airport lounge allows guests to separate themselves from the busy airport concourse and work, play or simply relax.

HOURS:
The hours and additional information are posted here.

AMENITIES:
  • Additional $10 credit for premium menu items included with every entry (Not available for Admirals Club members. Credit available for AMEX Platinum and Centurion holders. Passengers who access via BA or JL are entitled to two premium items, regardless of price)
  • Unlimited, complimentary soft drinks and light snacks
  • Full bar
  • Unlimited complimentary espresso and cappucino
  • Unlimited complimentary Peet's Coffees & Teas
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Power outlets at every seat
  • Semi-private conference room (Seats up to 6)
  • Complimentary printing
  • Complimentary scanning
  • Complimentary use of shower facility

Photographs
Credit: Swissport

Print Wikipost

SAN / San Diego Int'l. Airport AirSpace Lounge / "Admirals Club" (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Am I the only one that finds the continual "my favorite AAngels" are the best in the world, in the entire space/time continuum, posts kind of laughable?
Regards
Considering Barbara and Marc receive the most compliments, AAplause certificates, and recognition by the company system wide - I do believe they take the cake.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:24 am

AA/US in SAN

I'm looking to move to San Diego from LA and am wondering what the AA/US experience is like in San Diego - what the terminal/airport is like, etc. It has to be an improvement over LAX, right?

I've also read that the LAX-SAN connections are more likely to be cancelled and you get shipped to San Diego on a bus. Hopefully this isn't true?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec Plat), United, Delta
The AA/US side if the terminal was recently upgraded, making it much easier pickup and (especially) drop off. Yes, it's much easier than LAX. The dinky Admiral's Club at SAN was also recently refurbed and expanded.

Frankly, one of the things I like best about flying in/out of SAN is the commuter terminal, where American Eagle (as well as United Express and Delta Connection) flights work out of. This terminal is a piece of cake. I can usually walk from the passenger drop off (parking is barely any farther), get my boarding pass, check bags, go through security and get to the gate in less than 5 min! There are occasional hurdles because staffing is light, so if there's any logjam at checkin or security it can take longer (especially if you don't have status).

If I have a choice, when flying to the east coast, of connecting through LAX vs. DFW or ORD I will almost always take LAX.

Yes, there are occasional cancellations out of LAX. On one occasion I was bused to SAN -- a 2-hour trip that delivered me to airport about 1-1/2 hours after scheduled landing. On one other occasion I was put up at LAX airport hotel. Both of these were related to late evening flights. But that's it, despite dozens and dozens of SAN-LAX flights over the last 15 years.

Alas, American has cut Eagle service by about half over the last two years. What used to be almost hourly flights is now 8 flights daily. And the small first class section on a few Eagle flights has disappeared -- sigh -- though no surprise to me.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
The AA/US experience is good, as noted above. Many believe the SAN AC to be one of the best in terms of service. You can get to all 5 AA hubs plus PHL, PHX, and CLT on direct flights. While there are quite a few elites, upgrades aren't as hard to come by as LAX. As a AA platinum I have only ever missed a couple to DFW on the early morning flights.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:31 pm

SAN is small and easy to deal with. One might want to avoid SAN-LAX service and connect in PHX (for west coast destinations) and PHL/CLT/ORD/JFK/DFW for service to other points.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
The only downside to AA/US at SAN is the AE flights to LAX. They use the communter terminal which has no access to the AC. And the only times I am put on a bus between LAX and SAN, is when SAN is fogged-out. I have never been put on a bus going the other way. Just put on a flight the next day. The security checkpoint at T2 east is also a lot quicker IMO. AA/US have nonstop flights to every hub in the combined system (DFW/ORD/JFK/PHX/CLT/MIA/PHL/LAX). Moreover, Alaska is big at SAN, and you receive EQMs, elite bonuses, and privileges as an Aadvantage member when flying them. Also, UA seems to be reducing capacity at SAN as well (mainly through aircraft downgauges).
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
The primary downside is MS award redemption. SAN-JFK is non-existent, as are most DFW, ORD flights. As others have suggested, availability is a bit better through PHX.

The recently added SAN-MIA redeye is very useful for connections to the Caribbean, Central and South America, we will be making our first CLT connection later this month. Award availability generally opens up a few months prior to departure date, upgrades are hit and miss (limited F seats in 738, lots of leisure travelers burning miles).

As Fanjet mentioned, the AS partnership is very useful. We use BA Avios (from Chase URs) for cheap flights to Hawaii, Mexico (SJD, PVR), AA status waives baggage fees, provides access to exit row seats.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by diver858
As Fanjet mentioned, the AS partnership is very useful. We use BA Avios (from Chase URs) for cheap flights to Hawaii, Mexico (SJD, PVR), AA status waives baggage fees, provides access to exit row seats.
If one is based in SAN, I would say that BAEC is the way to go. When AA and US combine FF accounts, that should give me LT Plat status. Which is fine by me. And then I'll focus my earnings with BA and attain Emerald status that way. 25K miles RT for Hawaii, and 15K miles for SJD and PVR (on AS) is a steal. Moreover, a quick drive up to LAX gives one a number of nonstop AA options for 9K/15K/20K roundtrips. The downside of using BAEC for earnings is, of course, no chance for a free upgrade. However, I think free upgrades going forward aren't going to be as easy, on any of the 3 majors. The upside is free lounge access. Particularly FL access on domestic itineraries.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I disagree with some of the points above.

1) Lack of AC at commuter terminal.
Who really cares???

If you move to the San Diego Central area (which I highly recommend) you will be 15 minutes away max from the airport and traffic will be almost a non issue. When you have a commuter flight you can arrive at the airport just 35 minutes before boarding (with a BP). Security is a breeze. If you have to check bags, arrive not more than 1 hr before departure time. You can get a beer (or coffee/tea) at the bar just off the gate.

2)Bus SAN-LAX, LAX-SAN.
Actually a convenience

I have been put on a bus to LAX only once in 12 years.
Reason: flight cancelled.
They put you on a bus, because LAX is so close.
If it was a SAN-PHX flight, you would have no option than to be re-scheduled and fly the next day. Having the bus is convenient alternate option. You can always ask to be re-scheduled to the next day, if you don't want to get on the bus.

3) Not the best AC at Terminal 2 for mainline flights.
Agree. But...

Most of what I said about commuter flight applies to T2 too. You don't have to arrive that early, traffic is predictable, airport is very close to the city. With Pre-Check, security can be really quick too. Better to spend time at home than at the AC.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:41 am

Does anyone know if <it is still not possible to access the club from the American Eagle terminal>? I am doing a mileage run through SAN next week with a 4 hour layover. Both inbound and outbound are via the commuter terminal...

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 9, 2015 at 9:43 am Reason: Added context for thread move
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by BillLumbergh80
Does anyone know if <it is still not possible to access the club from the American Eagle terminal>? I am doing a mileage run through SAN next week with a 4 hour layover. Both inbound and outbound are via the commuter terminal...
<redacted>

If you are connecting to/from LAX, which I assume you are, its true - no AC.

There is an AC in T2 - mainline AA.

Cheers.

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 9, 2015 at 9:44 am Reason: Removed reference to bump due to post move
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:53 am

So you're saying there is no longer an "admit" list?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
It's now a co-branded AirSpace / AC lounge. Someone from late last year was able to access with a boarding pass from a different terminal but ymmv. No idea about the list but more information is here including a lurker on the post. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ay-2014-a.html
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
There isn't a list - just let TSA know you're going to the AC for a long layover. Someone recently did the same without issue. The lounge isn't technically an AC anymore. The AAngels there are amazing as always but the club kinda stinks now.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
There isn't a list - just let TSA know you're going to the AC for a long layover. Someone recently did the same without issue. The lounge isn't technically an AC anymore. The AAngels there are amazing as always but the club kinda stinks now.

Interesting. Curious why it isn't technically an AC anymore?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.