Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If there are seats available and all prior upgrade requests have been filled upgrades will be offered if you check in by kiosk. AA doesn't offer upgrades at the gate. Seats simply go out unfilled.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Yes, and this thread has more details and past offers we have received:

In my experience, the day of departure upgrades are offered on international flights even before any instrument upgrades clear at the gate. It seems AA wants to get some money for the seats.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
If there are seats available and all prior upgrade requests have been filled upgrades will be offered if you check in by kiosk.
It can be offered online as well, and I don't believe necessarily if all upgrade requests have been filled, but more that that they will be able to be filled. They may not have been processed, but AA knows they're in the queue and won't sell the upgrades out from under them (like other airlines). This makes it more difficult to gauge whether a LFBU will be available by looking at the flight availability.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Yes, and this thread has more details and past offers we have received:

In my experience, the day of departure upgrades are offered on international flights even before any instrument upgrades clear at the gate. It seems AA wants to get some money for the seats.
Can confirm. Was traveling home from Europe with a non-status relative who had the same international segment but was continuing to a different destination. I had a Miles & Copay upgrade request in, and when we checked her in, she was offered a paid business class upgrade while I was still in coach.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Did you get your upgrade?

Originally Posted by josmul123
Can confirm. Was traveling home from Europe with a non-status relative who had the same international segment but was continuing to a different destination. I had a Miles & Copay upgrade request in, and when we checked her in, she was offered a paid business class upgrade while I was still in coach.
Did you get your upgrade? And did she buy an upgrade?
Thanks.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by card1953
Did you get your upgrade? And did she buy an upgrade?
Thanks.
I did, and she did not. We had 7 family members on that plane, so it evened out if I took the bullet of sitting in business as far as sitting-next-to-strangers goes.

Edit: I get the implication... I'm not implying AA tried to sell the upgrade out from under me... Just that they will sell paid upgrades before instruments clear.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by josmul123
... Just that they will sell paid upgrades before instruments clear.
Just to be clear; that's been the case since the very inception of LFB/DOD upgrades.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I know that these upgrades clear from the same C bucket other upgrades clear from because I see a reduction of C inventory on ExpertFlyer after buying a LFBU. I also know that if there's no C inventory on a flight, LFBU won't be offered, so it's best to wait to check in until you see C inventory. After you check in, if you call AA they won't be able to un-check you in and then the only way to get a LFBU is from a kiosk. I learned this the hard way.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by donotblink
I know that these upgrades clear from the same C bucket other upgrades clear from because I see a reduction of C inventory on ExpertFlyer after buying a LFBU. I also know that if there's no C inventory on a flight, LFBU won't be offered, so it's best to wait to check in until you see C inventory. After you check in, if you call AA they won't be able to un-check you in and then the only way to get a LFBU is from a kiosk. I learned this the hard way.
What about A (F Class) inventory? Specifically looking at at JFK-LAX transcon.. Say I'm in E and A is available does that trigger a LFBU or can you only upgrade into C (J class).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Has anyone upgraded a mileage award using LFBU? there are 3 of us on a BA award ticket on AA 999 on the 23rd - space wise looks pretty open - but not sure if I should even go through the effort of looking for C before checking in
Old May 22, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Offered $280 for Y->PE LFBU on LHR-JFK; which is unfortunate as C was available at the time of checking and was hoping for a Y->C offer.

I declined.. not sure it's worth another $280 for PE on this route. I'm currently in 32C
Old May 22, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
A few questions.

Was the price really offered in USD and not GBP (or were both listed or were you converting)? Were the W (PE) seats otherwise blocked on the seating from your booking (no $, just checking)?

Did you qualify to purchase a C upgrade with miles (or was your fare not high enough)?

I am also thinking that if the system starts offering LFBU PE upgrades, it won't offer C upgrades anymore. I mean, this is for international flights anyway as I do not believe any AA elite is offered those domestically for any class.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rasheed
Was the price really offered in USD and not GBP (or were both listed or were you converting)? Were the W (PE) seats otherwise blocked on the seating from your booking (no $, just checking)?
It was $280 on the US site, £220 on the UK site. Roughly equivalent.

Did you qualify to purchase a C upgrade with miles (or was your fare not high enough)?
I did qualify for a C upgrade with miles, in fact I have it confirmed on the return. I did call and inquire about a LFBU to Business on the outbound and the AAgent said my only option was PE or copay+miles for Biz

I am also thinking that if the system starts offering LFBU PE upgrades, it won't offer C upgrades anymore. I mean, this is for international flights anyway as I do not believe any AA elite is offered those domestically for any class.
I will say i did test the waters and removed the remaining PE seats out of inventory temporarily and it still did not offer me an upgrade to business. I think one cabin LFBUs are the way of the future.
rasheed likes this.

Last edited by roder; May 22, 2019 at 4:07 pm
Old May 26, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I seem to recall a post not too long ago about AA offering more paid upgrade options. Does anyone recall this or am I thinking of a different airline?
Old May 26, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
No, there was an announcement that AA would promote paid upgrades more. What we don't know is if this will be mostly fare difference situations or special priced deals too.

Nothing new has started yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.