Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
To clarify, I suspect what you're asking about is not upfaring but instead discounted upgrades that UA and DL regularly sell to customers. AA is not nearly as aggressive as UA monetizing the first cabin. They basically don't sell upgrades unless all elites who have requested upgrades have cleared. There's a whole thread about these

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thd-20.html

However, AA waives the change fee to "upfare" to first class - though note this will not be a discounted upgrade - you will have to pay the entire fare difference (which may or may not be significant). You can read about this in the thread linked above.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Checking in for AA80 tomorrow night in paid J and got an upgrade offer to F dor $499 in the app. Didn’t take it, of course. More than happy in 3J.

First time I’ve been offered an upgrade in the app INTL. 👍🏼

JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by econometrics
[left]Checking in for AA80 tomorrow night in paid J and got an upgrade offer to F dor $499 in the app. Didn’t take it, of course. More than happy in 3J.

First time I’ve been offered an upgrade in the app INTL.
Has been around for a while, was discussed/shown in this thread (was free in this example as it was a EP/CK upgrade to PE):

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]
dciolli likes this.

Last edited by JonNYC; Aug 11, 2018 at 7:03 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Has been around for a while, was discussed/shown in this thread (was free in this example as it was a EP/CK upgrade to PE):

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]
Yes.

Haven’t seen examples of J —> F posted here on INTL yet, however.
dciolli likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was checking in my parents online recently the night before an early AM PBI-PHL flight they had been rebooked onto after UA IRROPS.

UA split the PNR when rebooking l, but got an upgrade offer for ~$100 for the first pax. ExpertFlyer showed F3 and I was worried that there wouldn’t be another offer when checking in the second pax. I chanced it, figuring even one in FC would be appreciated (and save them checked bag fees).

i *did* get the offer for the second pax, so all worked out.

But it I don’t suppose there’s any way to gauge how many LFBUs are available on a given flight, with EF or something else?

(FWIW, the upgrade standby list the next morning was empty, so presumably all elites who wanted upgrades had gotten them).
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
My non status friend was offered a $130 one way upgrade for the 930pm MIA-JFK flight via a kiosk......saw it first hand as I was helping her at the kiosk.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:35 pm

Noticed the upgrade from J --> F is also offered in my trip on AA.com. Liking this new addition. ^

wetrat0 and dciolli like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Paid Upgrade Offers to Premium Economy/Business

Hello,

In December I am traveling with a companion from JFK-LHR. I have Platinum status with AA and booked row 32 on the 77W. I am upgrading with miles for the return from Milan, and did not really want to spend the cash/miles both ways. So my question is, has anyone traveled in economy on an international flight received any offer to pay to upgrade to premium economy or business during check in?

Thank you!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green

Yes there may be an offer during check-in. But AFAIK AA is far more willing to just give the PEY/J seats to non-revs rather than offering them for an upgrade.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by shd9

Yes there may be an offer during check-in. But AFAIK AA is far more willing to just give the PEY/J seats to non-revs rather than offering them for an upgrade.
Thanks for sharing the link to that thread, did not come across it in my searches.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kjm12898
Hello,

In December I am traveling with a companion from JFK-LHR. I have Platinum status with AA and booked row 32 on the 77W. I am upgrading with miles for the return from Milan, and did not really want to spend the cash/miles both ways. So my question is, has anyone traveled in economy on an international flight received any offer to pay to upgrade to premium economy or business during check in?

Thank you!
Possible at kiosk, but unlikely given popularity of route. 7 hours isn't terrible.
If it were me, I'd upgrade the eastbound leg and ride home in PE or a nice coach seat if both ways aren't in your budget.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: free agent
Friend was offered $325 UG to J AMS-PHL a few weeks back on the 763 and took it. Not a bad offer seeing as the paid tix was basic economy. Mid-week flight, wide open. So living proof that it can happen.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
LFBU / Load Factor Based Upgrade Y to PE Timing

I have an upcoming flight LGA -> DFW -> HNL. I'm on the upgrade list for all segments but J is completely full on DFW -> HNL. Do you all know when load factor upgrades would be available into premium economy on the DFW -> HNL segment? Would it be T-24 before my LGA -> DFW segment when my check in time opens, or a few hours later at T-24 before the DFW -> HNL segment?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Couple of Questions...

So I had elite status (PLAT), I don't anymore so I have a bunch of 500 mile coupons in my account. I can't use them since I'm not elite correct?

When it comes to LFBU, should I leave my AA number off the reservation to trigger a LFBU otherwise I would just be paying fare difference? (someone mentioned that earlier in thread)

Are BA (avios award tickets) eligible for LFBU?

If a LFBU becomes available and I accept it, is it like United where you get all the same J perks (separate line, free bags, separate check in?)

I'm flying MIA-TPA in a 3 weeks and E is priced at $109 vs. $290 for J. Was thinking if an LBFU was available it would cost what $45 (based on the 500 mile rule?) Since I would be checking a bag the LBFU would basically pay for itself at that point if baggage is included in the LBFU... Unless Elites are upgrading or someone is coming thru on a thru fare via MIA I have a hard time seeing people paying for J, which in turn should keep some space available but I have no experience with this (so maybe someone can fill me in) Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by theboss7593
So I had elite status (PLAT), I don't anymore so I have a bunch of 500 mile coupons in my account. I can't use them since I'm not elite correct?
Correct.
When it comes to LFBU, should I leave my AA number off the reservation to trigger a LFBU otherwise I would just be paying fare difference? (someone mentioned that earlier in thread)
I don't think it matters because you're not elite anymore.
Are BA (avios award tickets) eligible for LFBU?
I believe so.
If a LFBU becomes available and I accept it, is it like United where you get all the same J perks (separate line, free bags, separate check in?)
Everything except for the extra EQMs or EQDs. LFBU fees don't count towards EQD.
I'm flying MIA-TPA in a 3 weeks and E is priced at $109 vs. $290 for J. Was thinking if an LBFU was available it would cost what $45 (based on the 500 mile rule?) Since I would be checking a bag the LBFU would basically pay for itself at that point if baggage is included in the LBFU... Unless Elites are upgrading or someone is coming thru on a thru fare via MIA I have a hard time seeing people paying for J, which in turn should keep some space available but I have no experience with this (so maybe someone can fill me in) Thanks!
You would pay an extra $15 or $20 over the regular baggage fee depending on when your flight was ticketed. I can't speak to the loads on that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.