Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by donotblink
Correct.I don't think it matters because you're not elite anymore.I believe so.Everything except for the extra EQMs or EQDs. LFBU fees don't count towards EQD.
You would pay an extra $15 or $20 over the regular baggage fee depending on when your flight was ticketed. I can't speak to the loads on that route.
the problem with this plan is tha MIA-TPA is less than 500 miles so all AA elites should automatically be on the upgrade list for free upgrades.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by rbourquin

the problem with this plan is tha MIA-TPA is less than 500 miles so all AA elites should automatically be on the upgrade list for free upgrades.
Right but would they clear at check in or at the gate? If it's like United you can do a buy up (space available) since the Elite's aren't upgraded till the gate. I would book J to begin with but AVIOS has no J space available to book.. I know the J isn't worth it for that short of a flight but my GF has a gazillion bags (we are on a cruise and then stopping in central florida before returning to NJ) so J with points would've easily covered the difference in class.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Just a data point, I had friends get the upgrade offer at check in LHR-LAX AA# 109, was $500/PP wish I think is a bargain.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Right but would they clear at check in or at the gate? If it's like United you can do a buy up (space available) since the Elite's aren't upgraded till the gate. I would book J to begin with but AVIOS has no J space available to book.. I know the J isn't worth it for that short of a flight but my GF has a gazillion bags (we are on a cruise and then stopping in central florida before returning to NJ) so J with points would've easily covered the difference in class.
So far, this is one very elite-friendly policy of AA vs. UA -- AA seemingly only offers these LFBU upgrades when SWU/miles/sticker/BE upgrades have cleared and there is still space. UA, on the other hand, aggressively offers the upgrades even if there is a long list of folks awaiting an upgrade.
Crazyboutflying likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
AA now offers paid upgrades at check in ?

I did not know AA did this but according to this blogger they do ? Either I missed the news or this is fairly new. No wonder I have not been upgraded on my DFW-SLC flight on Sunday even though there are only 3 occupied FC seats

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/12/01/...le-investment/
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:42 am

Not new -- see extensive thread here.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by dgparent
No wonder I have not been upgraded on my DFW-SLC flight on Sunday even though there are only 3 occupied FC seats
AA supposedly offers LFBUs only when there are more than enough seats for everyone on the upgrade list, i.e., they don't sell them out from under elites.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Hi all, am flying NRT-DFW on Saturday morning with family of five in economy. Have split the reservation into 2,2, and 1 and requested SWUx4 and miles+evipx1, respectively. Now that it appears few if any of those will clear to business (J2), I'm looking to understand my Premium Economy strategy, if any.

Flight is currently W7, P6 with 8 seats showing open. Does anyone have recent experience with being offered a paid upgrade from Y to W? Does it happen at online check-in (should I do at 24 hours via web or app to improve chances?)? Or is there a reason to wait to check in at the airport?

I'm EXP +1 non-status pax on one of the PNRs. Is there a definitive answer as to if I am eligible for a complimentary upgrade if space available? Said another way, if offered paid upgrade at check-in, should I take it for everyone but me and then hope for comp (if such exists)?

Thanks in advance as always!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Hi all, am flying NRT-DFW on Saturday morning with family of five in economy. Have split the reservation into 2,2, and 1 and requested SWUx4 and miles+evipx1, respectively. Now that it appears few if any of those will clear to business (J2), I'm looking to understand my Premium Economy strategy, if any.

Flight is currently W7, P6 with 8 seats showing open. Does anyone have recent experience with being offered a paid upgrade from Y to W? Does it happen at online check-in (should I do at 24 hours via web or app to improve chances?)? Or is there a reason to wait to check in at the airport?

I'm EXP +1 non-status pax on one of the PNRs. Is there a definitive answer as to if I am eligible for a complimentary upgrade if space available? Said another way, if offered paid upgrade at check-in, should I take it for everyone but me and then hope for comp (if such exists)?

Thanks in advance as always!
I was under the impression that PE wasn't a separate class yet in regards to upgrades, why didn't you call AA and see what they say?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
So, here's the report. None of the Y to J upgrades cleared.

At check-in, the three who were not on my locator were offered paid upgrades Y to W (Premium Economy) for $400 each, which we declined. When I (EXP) checked in, I was offered complimentary Y to W for me and the other on my locator, which we accepted and flew.

One lesson for others: had all 5 of us been flying on the same record, and there was space in W available, all 5 could have upgraded for $0 based on what the check-in agent told me. So, split the record to improve upgrade to J chances, but if the upgrade doesn't come through, you minimize the potential Y to W free upgrade.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Another PE data point.

Mrs. tjcxx flying AA142 JFK/LHR Dec 24 (tomorrow) has been offered Y to PE upgrade for $474 (in the online check-in process).

I had 2 offers early this year for that same flight Y to J for $400. (Which I went for. On the other hand I don't very much rate $474 for Y to PE).
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
So far, this is one very elite-friendly policy of AA vs. UA -- AA seemingly only offers these LFBU upgrades when SWU/miles/sticker/BE upgrades have cleared and there is still space. UA, on the other hand, aggressively offers the upgrades even if there is a long list of folks awaiting an upgrade.
That's very sucky behavior by UA! Just a minor note, though, @platbrownguy, my understanding is that AA offers LFBU to the extent that it anticipates that seats will be available to elites for upgrade, even though elites on the upgrade list may not yet have been upgraded. As an example, if AA has, say, 10 seats in J available, with six elites waiting for upgrades, it may offer four seats for LFBU. There's always a risk that after LFBU sales, seat mights be given to last-minute purchasers or to accommodate people on a delayed flight, resulting in missed upgrades. But it's a much better policy than what you describe UA as doing!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by tjcxx
Another PE data point.

Mrs. tjcxx flying AA142 JFK/LHR Dec 24 (tomorrow) has been offered Y to PE upgrade for $474 (in the online check-in process).

I had 2 offers early this year for that same flight Y to J for $400. (Which I went for. On the other hand I don't very much rate $474 for Y to PE).
Price now reduced to $453. Some incentive!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA
When are purchased upgrades offered

im flying a two leg trip home tomorrow. About 24 h out as of now. Was hoping to get an offer to upgrade the second and longer leg of the two but only got offered the upgrade on the short hop to dfw. Seems there are business seats available on the longer leg.

Will keep checking to see if it comes available but are they expecting me to upgrade the 1 hour flight before offering the longer flight?

i was offered the upgrade on the way down but did not take it as there were two of us traveling.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
In my experience only at check in. It's possible even there are open seats on the second leg, they are sold and not assigned yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.