Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Todays announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓ include: members of the TSA Pre✓ application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBPs NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓ is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓ / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓ program

• TSA Pre✓ may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓ members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓ program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓ status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓ status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓ printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓ program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓

TSA Pre✓ was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓ members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓ Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓ status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓ Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓ Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓ on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Neutron Star
Missed Pre Check again at IND, even after a ticket counter agent confirmed that my name on the ticket matched my Nexus card/PASS Id. 2nd miss since getting Nexus/GE.
Did she also confirm that your PASS ID was properly entered into the reservation? Also, have you confirmed that the "master information" on your AAdvantage profile matches as well?

Also, are you Pre-eligible based on GE alone, or was it originally via status? If originally via status and then switched to GE then perhaps that's part of the issue (if something between those two don't match)?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by 14940674
I assume that you are not a member of any CBP Trusted Traveler program. If that assumption is correct, and you are gaining your PreCheck eligibility through UA status, then you will be unable to use PreCheck when flying on any airline but UA.
I don't know that this is 100% correct. I seem to recall some people reporting some kind of AA/AS reciprocity and I believe it was when it was an AA ticket on AS metal or something like that. If that's the case then once US goes live (if they haven't already, not sure, don't follow them) I'm thinking the same kind of reciprocity may exist. However it certainly won't be available between UA and AA based on this; the only thing they share is the word "Airlines" in their names.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Did she also confirm that your PASS ID was properly entered into the reservation? Also, have you confirmed that the "master information" on your AAdvantage profile matches as well?

Also, are you Pre-eligible based on GE alone, or was it originally via status? If originally via status and then switched to GE then perhaps that's part of the issue (if something between those two don't match)?
I think my middle name was not originally on the reservation, though I don't recall it ever being there when I've scanned LLL. I'm eligible based on GE/Nexus, didn't have qualifying status when I enrolled. I've checked everything on my profile and it all matches my GE info, we'll see what happens at LAX tomorrow.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:25 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
I supposedly missed for the first time at LAX the other day, but the TSA agent had blocked off the PreCheck lane w/ a luggage cart and was busy taking IDs from several people down the line, which started to wrap around the concourse. Meh!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:46 am

I know it is supposed to be random but I am 0/20.
That is not the definition of random.
I have the green check mark, with my number in the record permanently on AA being an elite and a global enrty member.
When I ask TSA they blame it on AA.
When I ask AA they blame the TSA

What I found out yesterday is that there is a glitch in the system.
When I was denied again yesterday I went to an agent at the counter and found out that even though my number is in the system, it does not relate it properly and it has to be re-enetered again.
That solves the problem.

Interesting that AA knows of the glitch, the TSA probably does as well, and no one mentions it at all or does anything to fix it.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT (2 MM); Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Neutron Star
Can anyone recommend an Android barcode decoder app that provides the number string for pre-check acceptance? I had my first miss this morning and it'd be nice to know ahead of time if I need to SDOO.
Others in this thread suggested Barcode Scanner by Manatee Software. I got it for both my iPhone and my Droid Incredible 2. Works great with paper BPs; I could not get it to scan a mobile BP. It copies the string to the clipboard or you can send it via email. I've been able to see a pattern so far - a number "3" in a certain position in the string appears to indicate LLL. Search older pages in this thread for more discussion about this.

17/19 LLL at ORD since 3/2012. Love Pre-Check. More airports soon, please!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by LBTS
I know it is supposed to be random but I am 0/20.
That is not the definition of random.
I have the green check mark, with my number in the record permanently on AA being an elite and a global enrty member.
When I ask TSA they blame it on AA.
When I ask AA they blame the TSA

What I found out yesterday is that there is a glitch in the system.
When I was denied again yesterday I went to an agent at the counter and found out that even though my number is in the system, it does not relate it properly and it has to be re-enetered again.
That solves the problem.

Interesting that AA knows of the glitch, the TSA probably does as well, and no one mentions it at all or does anything to fix it.
You don't know that nothing is being done behind the scenes. As far as what you see at the airport, well, I don't think I have to say much about the intelligence/competence differential between your average AA counter agent and your average TSO...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by uxb
I supposedly missed for the first time at LAX the other day, but the TSA agent had blocked off the PreCheck lane w/ a luggage cart and was busy taking IDs from several people down the line, which started to wrap around the concourse. Meh!
I thought security processing at AA would be better than at UA, but seems LAX is among the worst TSA locations in the US no matter what terminal terminal one uses (T2 is as bad as T4 and T6/7). Was through LAX on Thursday and could not believe the bottlenecks that are designed into the AA terminal. Lines from both directions extended down the stairs and moved glacially slow! In a half hour I did not see one person use the PreCheck lane!!

Of course, besides being poorly designed for this type of security (with no redesign apparently having taken place since 9.11), LAX insists on putting everybody through the damn scatter machines while magnitometers stand unused. Bins are constantly being depleted and must be waited for a refresh.

As for the new PreCheck, as a Canadian it is frustrating to lose the previous fast track for F and Elites and have no recourse to the Trusted Traveler program even though one has been cleared by another branch of Homeland Security to enter the country with a minimum of scrutiny vis NEXUS or GE! Why does one branch of the same department not accept the Trusted Traveler documentation of the other? Just plain dumb!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
I don't know that this is 100% correct. I seem to recall some people reporting some kind of AA/AS reciprocity and I believe it was when it was an AA ticket on AS metal or something like that. If that's the case then once US goes live (if they haven't already, not sure, don't follow them) I'm thinking the same kind of reciprocity may exist. However it certainly won't be available between UA and AA based on this; the only thing they share is the word "Airlines" in their names.
You are correct. Last time I traveled (AA flight, AA metal), AA did not yet have PreCheck. Went to the security check point nearest AS gates and they let me use PreCheck. Unfortunately, I did not clear.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:52 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I thought security processing at AA would be better than at UA, but seems LAX is among the worst TSA locations in the US no matter what terminal terminal one uses (T2 is as bad as T4 and T6/7). Was through LAX on Thursday and could not believe the bottlenecks that are designed into the AA terminal. Lines from both directions extended down the stairs and moved glacially slow! In a half hour I did not see one person use the PreCheck lane!!

Of course, besides being poorly designed for this type of security (with no redesign apparently having taken place since 9.11), LAX insists on putting everybody through the damn scatter machines while magnitometers stand unused. Bins are constantly being depleted and must be waited for a refresh.

As for the new PreCheck, as a Canadian it is frustrating to lose the previous fast track for F and Elites and have no recourse to the Trusted Traveler program even though one has been cleared by another branch of Homeland Security to enter the country with a minimum of scrutiny vis NEXUS or GE! Why does one branch of the same department not accept the Trusted Traveler documentation of the other? Just plain dumb!
The TSA is the same wherever you go. However, I'm guessing that you've never flown from EWR. That is the worst of TSA's major airport locations. Also, no PreCheck at all. Re: PreCheck vs. WHTI, one speeds you through security and one through customs/immigration. When I go to the US from a Canadian port, I still go through the same security screening as non-NEXUS holders. It would be nice if there were a PreCheck programme in Canada, but for now, PreCheck in the states is still a work in progress.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I've been able to use AS (SEA) and DL (SLC) PreCheck lanes when traveling on AA.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SeAAttle
You are correct. Last time I traveled (AA flight, AA metal), AA did not yet have PreCheck. Went to the security check point nearest AS gates and they let me use PreCheck. Unfortunately, I did not clear.
Originally Posted by dayone
I've been able to use AS (SEA) and DL (SLC) PreCheck lanes when traveling on AA.
Neither of these cases is evidence of cross airline acceptance of PreCheck gained through elite status. I assume that both of you gained PreCheck usage through AA status. Since you were flying on AA, and AA provided you with PreCheck, it is not a surprise that PreCheck could work on that itinerary. Since the scanners are common use, the scanner simply read AA's encoding on an AA BP, and the fact that it was at another airlines checkpoint is insignificant. The real test would occur if you were flying on another airline and tried to transfer your PreCheck eligibility from AA status through your AAdvantage number in that booking.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
All is most useful. This link is a reduced portion of the previous link including some field descriptors in appendix C. The only note: Position 104 seems key. "0" is no selectee. "1" is selectee. We also believe, based on what people have found that "3" will get you "LLL". So far, people are only reporting "0" or "3". Perhaps "1" gets you the dreaded "SSSS"!

As for position 105 - it is documented as International Documentation Verification. Values are defined as 0, 1 or 2. I've seen reports of blank (probably domestic) and "1" (docs required.) Can the "1"'s confirm this was for an INTL flight? (I'll try to find a BP issued by an agent for an INTL flight after verifying my Passport data that may have a "2" in this field.) It does NOT appear to be related to CLR or LLL. FWIW.
My CLR boarding pass had a 1 encoded in position 104 and a 0 in 105. Thankfully, 1 in 104 does not mean SSSS.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ord_is_home
Others in this thread suggested Barcode Scanner by Manatee Software. I got it for both my iPhone and my Droid Incredible 2. Works great with paper BPs; I could not get it to scan a mobile BP. It copies the string to the clipboard or you can send it via email. I've been able to see a pattern so far - a number "3" in a certain position in the string appears to indicate LLL. Search older pages in this thread for more discussion about this.

17/19 LLL at ORD since 3/2012. Love Pre-Check. More airports soon, please!
Thanks for this suggestion. It's worked so far on a few old BPs, I find it scans better with the camera light illuminated.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by uxb
The TSA is the same wherever you go. However, I'm guessing that you've never flown from EWR. That is the worst of TSA's major airport locations. Also, no PreCheck at all. Re: PreCheck vs. WHTI, one speeds you through security and one through customs/immigration. When I go to the US from a Canadian port, I still go through the same security screening as non-NEXUS holders. It would be nice if there were a PreCheck programme in Canada, but for now, PreCheck in the states is still a work in progress.
I have been through EWR (i.e. originated) and there are fast track lanes at the gates for elites and F passengers. As for Canadian airports, the major ones now have NEXUS lanes so even Americans holding NEXUS cards can use this fast track. At the moment this just gets you to a normal screening channel, but it is planned to be similar to PreCheck with a less stringent procedure (i.e. leave shoes on for US-bound flights, belts, laptops, etc.) through security. At the moment these lanes ensures no scatter machines but just the standard walk through magnetometers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.