Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by fieldeng
So, is this random or should it trigger every time? Headed home via LAX on Friday and would like to use Pre-Check again
Random.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Success again at MIA this morning makes me 13/21 - coming on first year anniversary (sometimes in August?)
Two more successes at MIA makes me 15/23 and nearly perfect in 2012.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
It appears as if adding my middle name to my record solved the problem-- just got the LLLove at JFK. felt great to skip the grope and keep shoes, etc on.

4/7 since January.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Talking GOES is a 'Trusted Immigration" program.....

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

NB: There is no such thing as a "GOES card." GOES is a web-based application system used for applying for various trusted traveler programs. GOES itself is not a trusted traveler program and does not issue cards.

I'm guessing you mean Global Entry card.
A GOES card is issued with your picture prominently displayed and only utilized when entering the country from overseas......it seems to help in obtaining your coveted Pre-Pass....but not always
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Exclamation Now available at STL C Concourse

A fortunate few travelers were able to sail through the airport security line at Lambert on Tuesday morning without having to shed their belts or shoes or remove their laptops and liquids from their carry-ons.

The Transportation Security Administration rolled out its PreCheck screening program at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport on Tuesday. For now, mostly American Airlines frequent fliers who meet certain criteria will benefit from the expedited screening.

But the TSA is looking to expand it in St. Louis. Lambert is the 20th U.S. airport with PreCheck, TSA officials said at a news conference. So far, the TSA has screened 2 million travelers using the PreCheck initiative. By 9 a.m. Tuesday, about 100 had cleared PreCheck at Lambert.

<snip>
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...86dd6ed43.html
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by wjj
Happened again yesterday at ORD. I checked in at home but got my boarding pass from the EXP check in desk. I was not showing up as pre check eligible but as usual, the EXP agent was able to fix it and I got through with LLL.

Since this is a regular occurrence, I always ask what is going on. The usual answer is that it is a mystery and there are issues with the links (whatever the links are). But I was told this time that if you enter your GE number in your profile on AA.com, the system looks to match your name on your GOES card with your name in your profile. Many people do not have their full middle names in their profile (I did not) but your full name is on your GOES card. So it was suggested that I edit my profile to be sure my name appears exactly as it does on my GOES card or take out my GE number.

I edited my profile to put in my middle name. We'll see how it goes next week.
Hopefully this means that, particularly for those using PreCheck via GE, things are becoming less and less random. I was 100% as of 7/1 for domestic flights out of participating airports and won't be flying again for a couple of weeks. However I did update my future reservations and AA profile to include my middle name, which is on my GE card and part of that profile. Hopefully that means my average will continue.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aafreq
A GOES card is issued with your picture prominently displayed and only utilized when entering the country from overseas......it seems to help in obtaining your coveted Pre-Pass....but not always
Again, there is NO such thing as a GOES card...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It appears as if adding my middle name to my record solved the problem-- just got the LLLove at JFK. felt great to skip the grope and keep shoes, etc on.

4/7 since January.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I hope it's not that simple, because I don't have a middle name at all!

I presume it's more like if they have a middle name in the records the airline and/or the government uses the check them (for clearing), but their middle name isn't on that particular BP, then that causes a problem (because a name mismatch). That would be similar to the well known and publicized problems of getting swiftly back into the US (from other countries) if the name on your BP does not exactly match the name on your passport (say, because one shows a middle name while the other shows just a middle initial or no middle name/initial at all).

(That would be very different from not having a middle name in any place where your name appears in any database, because you legally don't have a middle name.)
sdsearch, please post if you get this figured out.

I also have no middle name on my license, passport, ss card, or in any airline profile. That's always actually made travel simpler, since it makes it easier for everything to match. I've been considering signing up for Global Entry just to get the pre-check, but I'd hate to spend the money and time if the lack of a middle name means I'll be denied the pre-check lane.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by swag
sdsearch, please post if you get this figured out.

I also have no middle name on my license, passport, ss card, or in any airline profile. That's always actually made travel simpler, since it makes it easier for everything to match. I've been considering signing up for Global Entry just to get the pre-check, but I'd hate to spend the money and time if the lack of a middle name means I'll be denied the pre-check lane.
Something tells me that it's a matching issue, not a middle name vs. no middle name issue. I've never used my middle name for reservations and have always gotten Pre, but after the reports on here of late, I've started entering it.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 5 MM, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Hogwarts Express
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Something tells me that it's a matching issue, not a middle name vs. no middle name issue. I've never used my middle name for reservations and have always gotten Pre, but after the reports on here of late, I've started entering it.
Yes, you are correct. Was not getting through at JFK, but my wife did! That was a GOLD vs EXP trump! Anyway, it turns out that it was my middle initial that didn't match up in my profile vs. what AA sent to TSA. I ended up speaking with the head of AA security/TSA and this was fixed rather quickly. Next week at ORD, sailed right through.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
[QUOTE=FriendlySkies;19038729]It appears as if adding my middle name to my record solved the problem-- just got the LLLove at JFK. felt great to skip the grope and keep shoes, etc on.

Was pointed, by an AA employee, to a letter sent from TSA to American (and I assume other carriers) last week that states that ALL sources of pax names have to be consistent. My passport and my aa.com info page match (including middle name) but it was pointed out to me that my boarding pass only has first and last names. Apparently there is some kind of third page, in reservations, that I may not be able to access/update. It was suggested that I ask that the middle name be included the next time I book. Will do.
I feel so secure now.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Again, there is NO such thing as a GOES card...
So wait are you saying there isn't a GOES card......... what is that little card they give you when you get Global Entry approved.......... dude we get it.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wjj
Happened again yesterday at ORD. I checked in at home but got my boarding pass from the EXP check in desk. I was not showing up as pre check eligible but as usual, the EXP agent was able to fix it and I got through with LLL.

Since this is a regular occurrence, I always ask what is going on. The usual answer is that it is a mystery and there are issues with the links (whatever the links are). But I was told this time that if you enter your GE number in your profile on AA.com, the system looks to match your name on your GOES card with your name in your profile. Many people do not have their full middle names in their profile (I did not) but your full name is on your GOES card. So it was suggested that I edit my profile to be sure my name appears exactly as it does on my GOES card or take out my GE number.

I edited my profile to put in my middle name. We'll see how it goes next week.

So you were able to get a Desk Agent at the airport to correct the issue and get you a new boarding pass that is clears precheck?

I wonder if this will solve my problem as well.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dickferd
So wait are you saying there isn't a GOES card......... what is that little card they give you when you get Global Entry approved.......... dude we get it.
That's a Global Entry card @:-)

See below.....

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

NB: There is no such thing as a "GOES card." GOES is a web-based application system used for applying for various trusted traveler programs. GOES itself is not a trusted traveler program and does not issue cards.

I'm guessing you mean Global Entry card.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
That's a Global Entry card @:-)

See below.....
Calling a GE card a GOES card is like calling an AAdvantage Elite card an AA.com card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.