Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: double EX-PLT
TSA Pre✓™ Hits 2 Million Mark

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2012/0727.shtm

WASHINGTON – The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) today announced the agency has screened more than 2 million travelers through the TSA Pre✓™ prescreening initiative. TSA Pre✓™ is currently available for U.S. citizens traveling in the United States who are members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs and select frequent travelers of participating airlines at many of the busiest airports across the country.

TSA Pre✓™ allows passengers to volunteer information about themselves prior to traveling domestically to expedite their checkpoint screening at participating airports. The initiative is part of the agency's broader effort to implement risk-based concepts that enhance aviation security by focusing more on travelers the agency knows the least about and allowing known travelers the opportunity to expedite their travel through security checkpoints.

"As TSA Pre✓™ continues to expand to additional airports and passenger populations, we are seeing exponential growth in participation," said TSA Administrator John S. Pistole. "We are on track to bring TSA Pre✓™ to 35 airports by the end of 2012 and even more next year."

TSA Pre✓™ is available at 19 airports and operational with five airlines, including Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines and US Airways. TSA will continue to add more airports and airlines to the highly acclaimed program.

Eligible passengers include U.S. citizens of frequent traveler programs on participating airlines and current members of CBP Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI and NEXUS. Individuals interested in participating can apply by visiting www.globalentry.gov.

As part of TSA's broader risk-based security effort, TSA is in the process of testing and implementing several new screening concepts, which include an expedited screening program for flight crews, expanded behavior detection techniques, modified screening procedures for travelers 12 and younger and 75 and older, and expanding TSA Pre✓™ screening benefits to U.S. military active duty members.

TSA will always incorporate random and unpredictable security measures throughout the airport, which means that no passenger is guaranteed expedited screening. TSA's multi-layered approach to security also includes behavior detection officers, explosives-detection systems, canine teams, and federal air marshals, among other measures both seen and unseen.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I hope it's not that simple, because I don't have a middle name at all!

I presume it's more like if they have a middle name in the records the airline and/or the government uses the check them (for clearing), but their middle name isn't on that particular BP, then that causes a problem (because a name mismatch). That would be similar to the well known and publicized problems of getting swiftly back into the US (from other countries) if the name on your BP does not exactly match the name on your passport (say, because one shows a middle name while the other shows just a middle initial or no middle name/initial at all).

(That would be very different from not having a middle name in any place where your name appears in any database, because you legally don't have a middle name.)
Even still most of my boarding passes are not matching exactly with the data in the relevant passport fields of my ordinary US passports, and yet I have general ease with swift returns to the US. Same goes for much of my family; and I alone have thousands of international trips with the kind of arrangements that AA does not consider to "exactly match"; and there are my other heavy international flying relatives and other acquaintances flying under much the same circumstance. I doubt we are an exception.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, PCR Plat/Amb
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
All is most useful. This link is a reduced portion of the previous link including some field descriptors in appendix C. The only note: Position 104 seems key. "0" is no selectee. "1" is selectee. We also believe, based on what people have found that "3" will get you "LLL". So far, people are only reporting "0" or "3". Perhaps "1" gets you the dreaded "SSSS"!

As for position 105 - it is documented as International Documentation Verification. Values are defined as 0, 1 or 2. I've seen reports of blank (probably domestic) and "1" (docs required.) Can the "1"'s confirm this was for an INTL flight? (I'll try to find a BP issued by an agent for an INTL flight after verifying my Passport data that may have a "2" in this field.) It does NOT appear to be related to CLR or LLL. FWIW.
I have a Apr 2012 DFW-MIA boarding pass with "31", but there was no international involved, just DFW to MIA. Pretty sure that was an upgrade at the gate, since the BP is printed on faux ATB (no mag stripe). Maybe after they've checked your docs (at check a bag, gate, etc) you get a '1'.

Interestingly, the "version" of BCBP is 1 on that one: everything else I've seen recently is 3. No bag number, no ticket number, plus some extra stuff at 64-66.

I have a DEN-DFW boarding pass with "3_", but they didn't even scan it since they aren't doing PreCheck. That was from a kiosk before checking a bag.

For those who can scan AA BPs, is the length of the passenger name field 19 or 20? Documentation says 20. I can't tell because my middle initial is E, so either it's 19 and the E at position 22 for Electronic ticket is there, or it's 20 and the E at 22 is my middle initial and the E for Electronic ticket is missing.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:19 pm

I was at LAX a few days back had the pleasure of using the TSA-pre line (the regular line length seemed obscene!!!!) I really do thank my lucky stars for this!!!! What an absolute pleasure. Please keep rolling this out to other airports!!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Ditto! I loved this. I signed up on the AA website and this was the first chance to try it. I could get used to it easily!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by sdsearch
That's not quite so simple. I already went through one name change (decades ago), at which time all middle names disappeared (I started out with more than one middle name!). That is now my legal name.

I would have to go through that again, and change more than just my passport. I don't think I'm allowed to "make up" a middle name only for my passport but nowhere else!

Meanwhile, even if that's how it works this week, it's not necessarily how it's going to work next week. It doesn't sound like a thought-through policiy if that's what it really is (middle name required, even if you don't have one).

But so far I see no evidence that it does. No one who has no legal middle name has reported yet. Including me: I'm not doing any domestic AA travel for months to come, and haven't done any since the last weekend in June (when I got LLL at LAX T4 A4). My only AA travel in the nearish future (early September) is SAN-JFK-ZRH and return, and I'm not sure that PreCheck even exists at SAN yet, and in any case it doesn't seem that outbound international works with PreCheck anywher yet). Maybe I could use it at JFK when connecting from the int'l, I dunno. (But even if I failed that, that one inbound international failure would not prove that it's due to a middle name issue.)
If I had to guess, I would guess that the issue isn't one of middle name vs. no middle name, it's one of credential matching. If your full name, as far as the airline or CBP (if enrolled via GE) has a middle name then a ticket w/o a middle name isn't considered a "match". I never enter my middle name on my tickets, but it's on my passport so I'll have to see what happens next time I travel in a few weeks.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:56 am

Two more goose eggs at ORD over the last two weeks. I saw "CLR" when they scanned the BP, but no LLLs.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:09 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Happened again yesterday at ORD. I checked in at home but got my boarding pass from the EXP check in desk. I was not showing up as pre check eligible but as usual, the EXP agent was able to fix it and I got through with LLL.

Since this is a regular occurrence, I always ask what is going on. The usual answer is that it is a mystery and there are issues with the links (whatever the links are). But I was told this time that if you enter your GE number in your profile on AA.com, the system looks to match your name on your GOES card with your name in your profile. Many people do not have their full middle names in their profile (I did not) but your full name is on your GOES card. So it was suggested that I edit my profile to be sure my name appears exactly as it does on my GOES card or take out my GE number.

I edited my profile to put in my middle name. We'll see how it goes next week.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

NB: There is no such thing as a "GOES card." GOES is a web-based application system used for applying for various trusted traveler programs. GOES itself is not a trusted traveler program and does not issue cards.

I'm guessing you mean Global Entry card.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:57 am

I signed up for the Pre-Entry program via AA a while back. If approved for another TT program, will updating the number in my profile update all my other reservations, or what is the procedure for that?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
This is now available at STL for AA passengers. Concourse C has pre-check.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by dartagnan
This is now available at STL for AA passengers. Concourse C has pre-check.
Ironic...finally arrives at the airport I've been flying from my entire adult life, and this afternoon I don't get the LLLove for the first time since PreCheck started.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Called the EXP Desk earlier this morning to verify something on a future reservation. While I had them on the line, I asked the agent about my middle name/Pre-Check, and she referenced a bulletin they had received, stating that the middle name needed to be in the res.

I fly out tomorrow morning, so I'm interested to see if adding my middle name, which is in my NEXUS/GE profile, will do anything. Scanning my connecting BP on AS, I got 3 ^
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:35 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

NB: There is no such thing as a "GOES card." GOES is a web-based application system used for applying for various trusted traveler programs. GOES itself is not a trusted traveler program and does not issue cards.

I'm guessing you mean Global Entry card.
Yes. You are right.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
So, is this random or should it trigger every time? Headed home via LAX on Friday and would like to use Pre-Check again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.