Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Todays announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓ include: members of the TSA Pre✓ application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBPs NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓ is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓ / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓ program

• TSA Pre✓ may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓ members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓ program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓ status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓ status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓ printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓ program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓

TSA Pre✓ was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓ members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓ Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓ status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓ Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓ Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓ on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by dmel
Just went through PreCheck at JFK T8. Lady at First/Elite line scanned and triple beep heard. She opened up the PreCheck rope for me. doc checker scanned BP again but I only heard two beeps. Couldn't see screen for LLL.

Went to PreCheck line and would you believe it, my belt set off WTMD! Quick fix and while there was one person behind me, it didn't hold him up.

FYI, BP from airport showed 31 AA AA instead of 63 AA AA, which printed from OLCI BP.
I got my two beeps this morning, probably five minutes after you. No lines, no muss no fuss. Was in AC five minutes after parking my car. Great program. Hopefully this won't become like the United credit card program where everyone is elite and boards early.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:27 am

Domestic AA on BA award

I posted earlier regarding flying AA on a BA award ticket and how i never get LLL when doing so.

I dont have the barcode reader you guys are using but found this online: http://online-barcode-reader.inliteresearch.com/ which seems to work (be sure to check off PDF417). I used it on a couple older BPs and found they all had a "3" before the AA AA (i got LLL on those). I just tried several BPs which i was flying domestic on a BA Award ticket and ALL of them had a "0" (did not get LLL on any of them).

Wouldn't that mean its not recognizing at all that i am GE/pre-check? I have checked my profile, number is in there, green check mark, middle name included in reservation...

Anyone have any thoughts on where to begin?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:45 am

Not sure if this matters for anyone but apparently you can do pre-check at DCA if you are willing to go to another checkpoint and take the shuttle over (or at least that's the option that was given to me when I got LLL upon scanning my bp). Is there another airport where that policy would be helpful (i.e. not hard to go through security by one airline where pre-check is active and then go to the AA gates)?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by zux85
Wouldn't that mean its not recognizing at all that i am GE/pre-check? I have checked my profile, number is in there, green check mark, middle name included in reservation...

Anyone have any thoughts on where to begin?
Was your GE PASS ID also in the reservation, or only in your profile?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
Was your GE PASS ID also in the reservation, or only in your profile?
Was in both
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Rookie3
Not sure if this matters for anyone but apparently you can do pre-check at DCA if you are willing to go to another checkpoint and take the shuttle over (or at least that's the option that was given to me when I got LLL upon scanning my bp). Is there another airport where that policy would be helpful (i.e. not hard to go through security by one airline where pre-check is active and then go to the AA gates)?

Wow, that is actually very accommodating of airline staff, their contact agents, and WMAA! Historically, that airside shuttle bus was exclusively for passengers connecting to/from airlines operating out of different concourses. Showing a boarding pass was required, and you could not proceed through a security checkpoint unless you had a boarding pass for a flight departing from that concourse.

If the airlines are on board, this new option for PreCheck pax could make a HUGE amount of difference when the lines are backed up at DCA!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Rookie3:19202893
ATL, SEA, PDX and SLC come to mind.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by zux85
Was in both
In that case, it seems that the problem is fundamental to BA award tickets.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:16 pm
Original Member

Just a note from last week. I had booked an award ticket on AA.com and my profile was just First Name Last Name (no middle name). After all the issues identified, I called AA and asked them to update my ticket with my middle name (which would match my GE profile and my recently updated AAdvantage profile).

When I looked at the record, they had first and middle name in the "First Name" field and "last name" in the last name field. It did work for LLL - so if your reservation has your middle name in the first name field, you should be ok.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
In that case, it seems that the problem is fundamental to BA award tickets.
So i wasn't going to give up so easily on never getting LLL when flying domestic AA on a BA award...i called AA and they transferred me to the EXP desk even though im only a measly PLT.

I have a flight tomorrow and apparently (according to what she saw) my secure flight info was listed as "MR First Last". On AA.com it was listed (both in the profile and reservation) as "First Middle Last".

She was able to take out the "MR" and add my middle name. She also un-checked me in so i could print a new BP.

Voila...the new BP has a "3"

Last edited by zux85; Aug 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by dmel
Just went through PreCheck at JFK T8. Lady at First/Elite line scanned and triple beep heard. She opened up the PreCheck rope for me. doc checker scanned BP again but I only heard two beeps. Couldn't see screen for LLL.

Went to PreCheck line and would you believe it, my belt set off WTMD! Quick fix and while there was one person behind me, it didn't hold him up.

FYI, BP from airport showed 31 AA AA instead of 63 AA AA, which printed from OLCI BP.
I think you mean you got 31AA AA (note there is no space between 1 and AA). Your home printed BP probably had 3 AA AA (note the space between 3 and AA). And I still think nothing before the 3 matters.

I have noticed that agent printer BP has a 1 after 3, while online printed does not.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:45 am
formerly gohima

got CLR at LAX yesterday o my first shot on AA. The agent rudely says "You arent PRECHECK!! Go back to the end of the line!" His tone made it sound like I was trying to cut the line

Im guessing it had something to do with it being an AS codeshare... I got a new one from the aangel at the AC with my proper info synced so i wonder if that one has the 3 in the barcode.

Last edited by LAXJetter; Aug 28, 2012 at 9:52 am
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP (4.4M), Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Global Entry, Trusted Traveler
Originally Posted by Rookie3

Atlanta. The PRE lines are over with Delta.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Neutron Star
ATL, SEA, PDX and SLC come to mind.
ORD would be another, though in this case it would be non-AA pax with pre-check using the AA gates. No need to take a shuttle, though (unless going to T5, in which case you have to be on BA and PreCheck won't apply as it's int'l).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:08 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY
Just a note from last week. I had booked an award ticket on AA.com and my profile was just First Name Last Name (no middle name). After all the issues identified, I called AA and asked them to update my ticket with my middle name (which would match my GE profile and my recently updated AAdvantage profile).

When I looked at the record, they had first and middle name in the "First Name" field and "last name" in the last name field. It did work for LLL - so if your reservation has your middle name in the first name field, you should be ok.
I had a ticket (purchased through a TA), which had my middle initial in the "first name" field. I called the exp desk and they claimed to have fixed it. My "general" profile shows that I am in the pre-check system--but did not show for that flight. I did not get the 3 beeps at lga (when I departed) nor at stl (when I returned.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.