Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Todays announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓ include: members of the TSA Pre✓ application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBPs NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓ is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓ / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓ program

• TSA Pre✓ may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓ members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓ program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓ status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓ status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓ printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓ program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓

TSA Pre✓ was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓ members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓ Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓ status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓ Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓ Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓ on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
Since you aren't a US Citizen, you are out of luck. Sorry.

"TSA is partnering with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) as well as U.S. air carriers as part of this pre-flight screening initiative. Certain frequent flyers from Delta Air Lines, American Airlines and certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens are eligible to participate."
You can get GE if you are a permanent resident(green card holder). So, through GE non citizens can participate in Pre-Check
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by makfan
It was as you described - about a 20 minute wait as it went all the way back to the place where they cut off access to the other lines.
I've said it before, this diminishes the value of the program. It's the same case at the DFW checkpoint - must stand in the (sometimes long) lines even if you're enrolled.

Yes, the faster screening is nice, and eliminating the strip-search machine helps, but it really doesn't save much time overall without special lines.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by asya999
Coming back from NRT this morning at LAX after breezing through GlobalEntry kiosks and customs, myself (EXP for several years, PLT for several before that) and Mr 999 (no status w/AA but GE number on file) headed for the promised land of pre-check at T4.
I've had 100% success with pre-check on entirely domestic itineraries and 0% when connecting to or from an international segment. I did ask the BP checking TSA agent once whether international trips were explicitly excluded and she said that she honestly didn't know. However, my small sample of data suggests they may well be.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
I've had 100% success with pre-check on entirely domestic itineraries and 0% when connecting to or from an international segment. I did ask the BP checking TSA agent once whether international trips were explicitly excluded and she said that she honestly didn't know. However, my small sample of data suggests they may well be.
I fly SFO-LAX RTs pretty frequently so I'm going to compare next week to yesterday - I'm hoping your stats will hold up for me as I only connect internationally a few times/year on AA but I fly them domestically a lot (to JFK and LAX so when JFK gets it, it'll be awesome).

Sadly it seems unlikely that SFO will get it, for AA anyway... But if they did it would make SFO T2 the most ruling experience of all airport terminals for me!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Result: On Day Three of the LAX program, I was cleared for expedited screening. Since then, when I buy a ticket, my passenger profile has a green checkmark with "TSA Expedited Screening" indicated. This shows up only when I go to buy a ticket. I do not have a green checkmark in my Aadvantage personal information profile.

Your next question, I'll guess, will be something like this: "What should I do if I get Global Entry approval, enter my Trusted Traveler number into my Aadvantage profile (thus being Pre-Check eligible) but lose my Gold status?"
Originally Posted by dayone
Correct, but there have been reports of Golds getting enrolled.

GE would also allow you to enroll in DL's current program and with UA and AS when they roll out in the next few months.
Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I applied for GE last night and got my interview invitation this morning. It's scheduled for tomorrow afternoon at JFK.

Of course, it occurs to me that, since I'll be going to BNA for the next 5 weeks, it probably won't help much. But it'll still be nice to have.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I applied for GE last night and got my interview invitation this morning. It's scheduled for tomorrow afternoon at JFK.

Of course, it occurs to me that, since I'll be going to BNA for the next 5 weeks, it probably won't help much. But it'll still be nice to have.
Wow, that's fast. My interview invitation took a couple of weeks, however I got my final approval the day after the interview.

I'm with you. I went through the hassle, and now it's a done deal.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JimHenderson
You can get GE if you are a permanent resident(green card holder). So, through GE non citizens can participate in Pre-Check
As far as I know, you are incorrect. The TSA implied that they are excluding non-citizen GE members.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by 14940674
As far as I know, you are incorrect. The TSA implied that they are excluding non-citizen GE members.
Actually what I stated was from experience. Do you really believe the TSA agent??
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by earny
I went through the pre check line on 2/18. It was roped off like another person had mentioned and so I waited in the regular elite line. Right when I got to the TSA screener, another person showed up at the pre check line and said he was pre check to the TSA agent. There was one TSA agent standing behind the person scanning the boarding pass and let the other person in. I told the screener that I was was already approved for pre check and he scanned my boarding pass. Got he LLL and let me through the pre check line. It was great not having to take anything off except put my cell phone through the x-ray machine with my carry on luggage.

If you are at LAX for pre check and see that it is roped off, tell them you are qualified for pre check.
Had a somewhat annoying experience at LAX yesterday. All the lines were long, even the elite line. I went directly to precheck, which was, as others have reported, roped off. I called out to the screener and asked if it was closed. He said that the regular elite line *was* the precheck line. I pointed at the separate roped off line and said I thought that was the precheck line. He said, "No, we have no way of knowing if you're eligible or not until we scan your BP, so you have to get in this line and wait with everyone else to have your boarding pass scanned. Then we'll know if you're eligible and then you may be selected for that screening." I said that I knew I was precheck qualified, but he just shook his head and pointed at the line.

I knew this was completely bass-ackwards but also that it's pretty futile to argue with a TSA agent. So I got in the long elite line (about 40-50 people) and waited my turn. I saw two or three others go through the same routine at the roped-off entrance as I did and dejectedly join the longer line after being turned away.

I admit, I was a bit steamed about the whole thing. Earlier in the day at ORD, the same screener who had scanned my BP two weeks ago and told me I was his first LLL recognized me and said hello. He and I chatted briefly about the program and he said that if you get LLL once, you'll ALWAYS get LLL. The wild card is whether or not you'll get to go through the faster screening or be randomly selected for the traditional screening, NOT whether you'll get LLL.

So I knew this LAX guy was misinformed, but what could I do?

Of course when I finally got to the head of the line, the LAX guy was all "Oooooh, you're LLL. Do you know what this? Do you know what to do? Have you ever been through it before?" I was like, "Yes, yes, yes. May I go now?"
But he needed to drone on, telling me I could keep my shoes on, keep my jacket on (which I actually was carrying folded over my arm as it was a warm day), didn't need to take liquids or computer out of my bag, yadda, yadda, yadda. He wasted a good two minutes of everybody's time instructing me all about the "new" screening.

So I FINALLY got to go to the completely empty precheck screening area, where I actually got yelled at when I put my jacket in a bin with my purse. I was told to pick my jacket up and carry it through the metal detector with me!

I guess the most amusing part of the whole thing was that while I was waiting in line, there was a fellow with two very large, very heavy-looking bags (carryon size, but only just). Breathless and rushed, he explained to people that his flight was leaving in 20 minutes, could he cut in line? We let him. He had gone through the BP scanning about five or six people ahead of me. There was a big clot of people doing the usual half-strip at the nearer conveyor as I walked over to the empty one for precheck. The late guy was kind of in the middle of that pack, partially through unloading all his stuff. He started asking loud questions about what the other line was for and how could he get in it because he was going to miss his flight at the rate he was going. I don't know what happened because it took me approximately .5 seconds to clear security, and I wanted to make a call before boarding the plane, so walked away quickly; but he was not a happy character!

Definitely looks like LA needs some more training on how to handle the line and the BP process. The way they're doing it now isn't working well at all!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
I specifically asked my new ORD TSA buddy about this. He confirmed that it is part of the current procedure that if any part of your itinerary contains an international segment, you will not qualify for precheck for that entire trip. He said they are still fine-tuning the process and there has been talk about allowing precheck for people who have returned from an international destination and are proceeding on to a domestic trip, but that's still something for the future. Definitely not happening right now, according to him.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by 2millionquest

Definitely looks like LA needs some more training on how to handle the line and the BP process. The way they're doing it now isn't working well at all!
It's this way at DFW as well. It would be nice if they had an actual "Pre-check" line that those that are enrolled in the program could utilize. I've been through the DFW C30 gate about 5 times and have qualified every time, but I've had to stand in the "Priority Access" line to get to the BP screener.

Each time I've been through, they've had at least 6-7 agents assigned to this line that literally gets 5% of the traffic that goes through. It would be a wise use of resources and a much better experience for those that qualify if one of those agents was at a kiosk that was dedicated to "Pre-check"

--wes
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX PLAT, IC AMB, SPG GOLD, HHONORS GLD, National Executive, Hertz Gold, AVIS Preferred
I just went into pre-check lane at LAX and my boarding pass wasn't LLL for the first time.

Oh well... But what's the point to have the lane if it's going to be randomly assigned to boarding pass?

It's confusing.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I admit, I was a bit steamed about the whole thing. Earlier in the day at ORD, the same screener who had scanned my BP two weeks ago and told me I was his first LLL recognized me and said hello. He and I chatted briefly about the program and he said that if you get LLL once, you'll ALWAYS get LLL. The wild card is whether or not you'll get to go through the faster screening or be randomly selected for the traditional screening, NOT whether you'll get LLL.

So I knew this LAX guy was misinformed, but what could I do?
It's the ORD screener who seems misinformed to me. Claiming once LLL, always LLL? Cleaiming it's not LLL vs CLR that determines which lane you go through for the same qualified person, but something else (what?)? Neither of things sounds right to me at all.

We have plenty of examples (admittedly scattered over many pages of a big thread) of people who got LLL before, but didn't get LLL another time (and far from all of them being explained by international iteneraries).

We also have no documented case of someone randomly being selected for regular (non-expeditted) screening while it showing LLL. Everyone who's reported on what it showed in that case reported CLR (including both people who got rejected because of international iteneraries and people rejected for unknown other reasons presumably randomness).

I'll take actual "security line trip reports" from FTers, collectively, over the claims of one TSA agent or another, any day.

I specifically asked my new ORD TSA buddy about this. He confirmed that it is part of the current procedure that if any part of your itinerary contains an international segment, you will not qualify for precheck for that entire trip.
Except that we have a counter-example of this also:

Originally Posted by gooseman13
So just went through security at MIA...as mentioned before, the checkpoint is a disaster...I've never seen a "priority access" line that long.

The good news is....I GOT the LLL....this is travelling MAD-MIA-DFW, and also using a boarding pass printed out at the ticket counter. I had them reprint the BP in MIA just in case that mattered.

So I guess you can get the LLL on an international itinerary (I don't think this was answered definitively yet).
(But that post is from many pages back by now, and as yet it seems to be the only counter-example so far.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got approved for Global Entry today...hopefully I"ll get a chance to try out PreCheck soon!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by VeniceDre
I just went into pre-check lane at LAX and my boarding pass wasn't LLL for the first time.

Oh well... But what's the point to have the lane if it's going to be randomly assigned to boarding pass?

It's confusing.
I'm still pretty sure that this is the set up:

There may be two lanes, but the 'other' lane that's closed off is intended for VIP, 5 Star, and International/Transcon/Flagship passengers for when they are being escorted through to the TSA screener.

If you're not one of the above, the correct line is on the right (West) side.

Once you get to the TSA screener, they scan your documents and direct you to the designated area for security: Trusted Travler or Standard. There needs to be better signage.

I'm contemplating writing a note to one of the LAX Management Team members to get clarification about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.