Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Note: this Wikipost is a quick summary of what dcpatti put together in post 1, on page 1 of this thread. Feel free to make changes to this post, or PM aztimm, if you find something incorrect or needs more detail.

Shuttles are the nonstop flights between DCA (DC-Washington National), LGA (NY-LaGuardia) and BOS (Boston-Logan).

What's different about the shuttle?
You'll get an early morning snack on departures before 9 am, and free beer or wine in coach all day long. First Class refreshments are similar to other US flights of a similar length.

I heard some stuff about not being able to pre-assign seats.

The Shuttle used to work a little differently to other flights but has recently changed to using the same pre-assigned seating as all other flights. You should be able to select your seat at the time of booking now. In addition the Shuttle is no longer open-seating, instead it follows the normal US seating procedures with varying charges for ChoiceSeats. As with other flights these seats are not available for free at T-24.

What about upgrades?
They'll work just like regular flights, with the first comp upgrades being given at the 7-day Chairmans window. Upgrade seats will be available for non-elites at check-in or by calling at 24-hours before the flight.

I heard they have weird ideas on boarding.
NOTE: In addition to what is below, GalleyWench posted the following (post #91 on 5/12/13):
just read that starting May 22nd the shuttle will start boarding like mainline, no more front to back. Will try to get the specifics in the next couple days.
The Shuttle flights don't board by zone even if there's one on the boarding pass. You'll find a ton of elites on these flights, and if most of the plane holds Zone 1 or 2, then boarding doesn't go very fast. So they revert to the old-school boarding by rows. Folks who need assistance first, then First Class, then the last rows of the plane, working forward to the front.

I heard they have weird ideas on deplaning, too.
In some cases, they will deplane Shuttle flights from both the front aircraft door via jetway and the rear aircraft door via stairs.

Anything else that's different?
In NYC-LaGuardia you'll exit the terminal through a different exit, in the center of the gate area and down a flight of stairs. You'll be on the curb in about 4 minutes.

Can I go home early?
Sure. With the exception of the very peak travel times, you can usually get a seat on an earlier Shuttle. US charges a $50 fee for a confirmed stand-by for an earlier flight. This fee is waived for Elites and for certain passengers on full-fare Y/B tickets.

Can I go home late?
Technically, US Airways does not offer any accommodations to those who "miss" a flight; if you want to change into a later flight with a confirmed seat, you'll need to pay the change fee plus any fare difference. But in many cases, passengers who are tardy for their flights are re-ticketed onto the next available flight as a courtesy.

Where are my gates?
  • At BOS, you'll be at Gates B16-B19.
  • At LGA, you'll be at Gates C17-C22.
  • At DCA, you'll be at Gates 41-44 (North Pier/C Concourse)

Can I hang out in a club or lounge?
Each airport has a US Airways Club and an Admirals Club. Your US Club membership (annual or 30-day) will allow you access to any of these, but US day passes will only work at US-branded clubs. Note that not all Admirals Clubs are easily accessible from US-operated gates.

Club locations:
  • At BOS (map)
    • US Club in Terminal B, between security checkpoint and Gate B4.
    • Admirals Club in Terminal B, near Gate B30 next to Swatch store (requires lengthy walk airside through UA concourse).
  • At LGA (map)
    • US Club in Terminal C, next to Gate C28.
    • Admirals Club in Concourse D, near Gates D1-D2 (requires landside connection, with boarding or gate pass).
  • At DCA (map)
    • US Club in the North Pier/C Concourse, Mezzanine level.
    • Admirals Club in the Central Pier/B Concourse, Mezzanine level (airside shuttle bus service available).

Anything else I need to know?
Taxi fare from LGA to Midtown Manhattan will be $30-40 depending on traffic and route; DCA to downtown DC/ K Street area will be about $20; and BOS to downtown Boston will be about $30. There are public transport options as well.

There is a separate Shuttle baggage claim and check-in desk at LGA and separate kiosks at DCA. Separate Shuttle check-in desk at DCA is located downstairs near Security. There is supposed to be a separate security lane for Shuttle at DCA but it's almost never open. Passengers can also check in at regular US Airways kiosks and counters.
Print Wikipost

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Granitebox
Got my monthly e-statement and noticed a complete change in the shuttle boarding process:

"We are now offering priority boarding on Shuttle Flights....To make this possible, we'll begin boarding Shuttle flights by zone number"
And now 80% of the plane boards with zone 1... What kind of "priority" is that..........................
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bkafrick
And now 80% of the plane boards with zone 1... What kind of "priority" is that..........................
In my experience, the idea that the Shuttle flights are packed with elites has not been true. Now that BOS and LGA are essentially standard outstations with the exception of a handful of leisure routes, they aren't THAT different from any other major city.

In fact, I see empty FC seats on Shuttle flights (implying <12 elites on the plane) more often than any other route I take.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: AA ExePlat
Originally Posted by chris4096
In my experience, the idea that the Shuttle flights are packed with elites has not been true. Now that BOS and LGA are essentially standard outstations with the exception of a handful of leisure routes, they aren't THAT different from any other major city.

In fact, I see empty FC seats on Shuttle flights (implying <12 elites on the plane) more often than any other route I take.
I think it depends on the day and time. The Monday 7 AM BOS-DCA easily had 1/3 to 1/2 elites boarding in zone 1.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jsieds
I think it depends on the day and time. The Monday 7 AM BOS-DCA easily had 1/3 to 1/2 elites boarding in zone 1.
Fair enough, but is that drastically different than BOS-PHL or DCA-CLT?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The proof is in the pudding. Fully loaded 319-320 often boards in 15-20 mins on the Shuttles, while it can take 40 minutes for the same on non-shuttle mainline.

USS is largely O&D traffic, so doesn't much matter whether LGA or BOS are outstations or fortress hubs.

The one thing I do like about the USS which makes things move smoothly is that they are relentless about oversized-carryon. Speeds the boarding process immeasurably that the aisles aren't clogged with people jack-hammering their steamer trunks into the OH.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
The USS are typically not families and 'novice' flyers to the entire process. Boarding is going to be much more efficient than a more traditional route where a boarding group may be 2-4 people of which are couple are bound to need assistance from parents.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: Underappreciated US CP, nobody status with everyone else.
I understand the move was to be consistent with their current somewhat messed up boarding procedure but anecdotally it does board slower.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Does anyone else not get the seat they choose in OLCI? This seems to happen to me consistently and just happened again. When I am upgraded I only usually change if I am preassigned row 1, when I make a change it doesn't stick. Just now I didn't get the upgrade so I chose 6C, I go to print and it has me in 11D. I understand there is a chance that someone else picked 6C at the same time, but this happens to me every time I OLCI for a shuttle flight.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Mudfish
Does anyone else not get the seat they choose in OLCI?
Yes - I thought that it was just me. It happens to me practically every time I take the shuttle. I usually pick Row 3, and practically without fail end up in Row 1. Very strange.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Quick question for the shuttle expert. I need to check a bag ex-DCA this upcoming week. On the US Airways website it notes: "The airport check-in cutoff is 20 minutes before departure without checked luggage and 30 minutes before departure with checked luggage" which I know conflicts with United where they have a checked luggage cutoff of 45 minutes ex-DCA. I just want to confirm that there are no issues with the 30 minute cutoff for US Airways (not really sure why they differ from United here).
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Quick question for the shuttle expert. I need to check a bag ex-DCA this upcoming week. On the US Airways website it notes: "The airport check-in cutoff is 20 minutes before departure without checked luggage and 30 minutes before departure with checked luggage" which I know conflicts with United where they have a checked luggage cutoff of 45 minutes ex-DCA. I just want to confirm that there are no issues with the 30 minute cutoff for US Airways (not really sure why they differ from United here).
Yup, 30 minute baggage cutoff (and trust me I've cut it very close on many occasions). At DCA the shuttle check in is downstairs on the main level (not the upstairs ticketing level) right before security for concourse C.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
One of the reasons why a shuttle flight is quick to board is the number of passengers on a day trip. I generally only bring a briefcase that goes under my seat and that's it.

The reduced check-in cutoff times is a nice bonus. Part of the convinence factor that you can buy your ticket last minute and just hop on the next flight.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jdawg
Yup, 30 minute baggage cutoff (and trust me I've cut it very close on many occasions). At DCA the shuttle check in is downstairs on the main level (not the upstairs ticketing level) right before security for concourse C.
Great thanks! It's nice to finally reap the benefits / convenience of taking the shuttle since usually I'm dealing with the UA terminal or worse out at IAD dealing with the UA terminals out there

Originally Posted by ericcheung
One of the reasons why a shuttle flight is quick to board is the number of passengers on a day trip. I generally only bring a briefcase that goes under my seat and that's it.

The reduced check-in cutoff times is a nice bonus. Part of the convinence factor that you can buy your ticket last minute and just hop on the next flight.
Agreed, 99% of the time I don't have a checked bag but every once in a while personal travel at the end of the week dictates the need for a checked bag.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Just an FYI, I was booking some trips for August and noticed that the flight #s have changed. They have been the same as long as I can remember

Anyone happen to know the reason? Just curious..
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by doctor15
Just an FYI, I was booking some trips for August and noticed that the flight #s have changed. They have been the same as long as I can remember

Anyone happen to know the reason? Just curious..
They're starting to do some major renumbering in anticipation of merged operations with AA. There was a summary of this over on airliners.net a month or so ago, it might be in the merger thread on this forum as well. The shuttles as well as some of the other flights (such as the transatlantics) that have been constant for years will see changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.