Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Note: this Wikipost is a quick summary of what dcpatti put together in post 1, on page 1 of this thread. Feel free to make changes to this post, or PM aztimm, if you find something incorrect or needs more detail.

Shuttles are the nonstop flights between DCA (DC-Washington National), LGA (NY-LaGuardia) and BOS (Boston-Logan).

What's different about the shuttle?
You'll get an early morning snack on departures before 9 am, and free beer or wine in coach all day long. First Class refreshments are similar to other US flights of a similar length.

I heard some stuff about not being able to pre-assign seats.

The Shuttle used to work a little differently to other flights but has recently changed to using the same pre-assigned seating as all other flights. You should be able to select your seat at the time of booking now. In addition the Shuttle is no longer open-seating, instead it follows the normal US seating procedures with varying charges for ChoiceSeats. As with other flights these seats are not available for free at T-24.

What about upgrades?
They'll work just like regular flights, with the first comp upgrades being given at the 7-day Chairmans window. Upgrade seats will be available for non-elites at check-in or by calling at 24-hours before the flight.

I heard they have weird ideas on boarding.
NOTE: In addition to what is below, GalleyWench posted the following (post #91 on 5/12/13):
just read that starting May 22nd the shuttle will start boarding like mainline, no more front to back. Will try to get the specifics in the next couple days.
The Shuttle flights don't board by zone even if there's one on the boarding pass. You'll find a ton of elites on these flights, and if most of the plane holds Zone 1 or 2, then boarding doesn't go very fast. So they revert to the old-school boarding by rows. Folks who need assistance first, then First Class, then the last rows of the plane, working forward to the front.

I heard they have weird ideas on deplaning, too.
In some cases, they will deplane Shuttle flights from both the front aircraft door via jetway and the rear aircraft door via stairs.

Anything else that's different?
In NYC-LaGuardia you'll exit the terminal through a different exit, in the center of the gate area and down a flight of stairs. You'll be on the curb in about 4 minutes.

Can I go home early?
Sure. With the exception of the very peak travel times, you can usually get a seat on an earlier Shuttle. US charges a $50 fee for a confirmed stand-by for an earlier flight. This fee is waived for Elites and for certain passengers on full-fare Y/B tickets.

Can I go home late?
Technically, US Airways does not offer any accommodations to those who "miss" a flight; if you want to change into a later flight with a confirmed seat, you'll need to pay the change fee plus any fare difference. But in many cases, passengers who are tardy for their flights are re-ticketed onto the next available flight as a courtesy.

Where are my gates?
  • At BOS, you'll be at Gates B16-B19.
  • At LGA, you'll be at Gates C17-C22.
  • At DCA, you'll be at Gates 41-44 (North Pier/C Concourse)

Can I hang out in a club or lounge?
Each airport has a US Airways Club and an Admirals Club. Your US Club membership (annual or 30-day) will allow you access to any of these, but US day passes will only work at US-branded clubs. Note that not all Admirals Clubs are easily accessible from US-operated gates.

Club locations:
  • At BOS (map)
    • US Club in Terminal B, between security checkpoint and Gate B4.
    • Admirals Club in Terminal B, near Gate B30 next to Swatch store (requires lengthy walk airside through UA concourse).
  • At LGA (map)
    • US Club in Terminal C, next to Gate C28.
    • Admirals Club in Concourse D, near Gates D1-D2 (requires landside connection, with boarding or gate pass).
  • At DCA (map)
    • US Club in the North Pier/C Concourse, Mezzanine level.
    • Admirals Club in the Central Pier/B Concourse, Mezzanine level (airside shuttle bus service available).

Anything else I need to know?
Taxi fare from LGA to Midtown Manhattan will be $30-40 depending on traffic and route; DCA to downtown DC/ K Street area will be about $20; and BOS to downtown Boston will be about $30. There are public transport options as well.

There is a separate Shuttle baggage claim and check-in desk at LGA and separate kiosks at DCA. Separate Shuttle check-in desk at DCA is located downstairs near Security. There is supposed to be a separate security lane for Shuttle at DCA but it's almost never open. Passengers can also check in at regular US Airways kiosks and counters.
Print Wikipost

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. US Air Shuttle is the only airline in my experience where paid F (or business) tickets cannot reserve their seat assignment at the SAME time that they book the ticket! Why is that not possible for F tickets?

This must be yet another example of the "technophobic" US that is also being discussed in this forum, alas. Oh well.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: None
The Shuttle is the only US operation that doesn't allow seat selection until 24 hours prior. I assume IT figures it's not worth the trouble to program an exception for a small subset of Shuttle passengers - those who pay for F.

Jim
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
It was explained to me that the unusually high rate of change on these flights (move up, misconnect, no-show/cancellation, changed day of travel) made it more practical to hold seat assignments till as close to flight as possible, because by the time the flight happens, the seat map would bear no resemblance to its earlier versions otherwise, and just create more work for passengers trying to get seats together and crew/GA's trying to make everyone happy.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
The Shuttle is the only US operation that doesn't allow seat selection until 24 hours prior. I assume IT figures it's not worth the trouble to program an exception for a small subset of Shuttle passengers - those who pay for F.

Jim
+1 - I routinely have 3-4 changes to my Shuttle tix and because I'm on a corporate discount which treats discounted Y as a YUP, I move into F space available at the time of the rebook. Worth noting that seat assignment on Shuttle is OLCI only. If you call US, the CSR's can't assign seats manually.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Is F on the shuttle worth it when it's a 319? What's the food/comfort difference?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Is it worth paying for? My answer would be no. Although, I certainly enjoy the upgrades.

The LGA-BOS-LGA flights are usually around 30-35 minutes and are on E190s which are comfortable in Y and F.

The DCA-LGA/BOS-DCA flights are about 50 minutes flying time, and are on 319s. Comfortable in F, standard Y product in the back.

Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks are complimentary in Y and F, but you'll get the snack basket in F on all Shuttle flights.

The difference between a low Y ticket and full F on the BOS-DCA shuttle is in the ballpark of $700.

I'll keep my $700, and gladly ride in the back if I have to.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by USFlyer26
Is it worth paying for? My answer would be no. Although, I certainly enjoy the upgrades.

The LGA-BOS-LGA flights are usually around 30-35 minutes and are on E190s which are comfortable in Y and F.

The DCA-LGA/BOS-DCA flights are about 50 minutes flying time, and are on 319s. Comfortable in F, standard Y product in the back.

Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks are complimentary in Y and F, but you'll get the snack basket in F on all Shuttle flights.

The difference between a low Y ticket and full F on the BOS-DCA shuttle is in the ballpark of $700.

I'll keep my $700, and gladly ride in the back if I have to.
Most FC on the Shuttle are either corporate customers with Y-UP deals (pay discounted fare bucket and get treated as full U) or simply US status pax. US also sells UG at the gate for $50. Published F fare is off the charts.

You can have good luck at the gate if you willing to hang around to the very end because there are a lot of last minute no shows on USS and if there's an F seat and no UG pax waiting at the gate, it's yours for $50.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
US Airways Shuttle first time!

I am going from DCA-BOS this week and I had a few questions. I looked through the forum and it confused me on what the flight is like.

1) I'm a Prem. Exec on UAL and rarely travel on US. Will there be preferred seating when I check-in online? Also, since I'm also traveling on UAL from BOS-SFO same day (1 hr 30min later) will I check in on UAL and US the day before?

2)I'm debating on whether to check a bag or not. I am 99.9% sure the bag is checked all the way through because of the alliance, can someone confirm this?

3) What's the easiest way to get from terminal B to terminal C at BOS? I just want to make sure I get my next flight to SFO

4) How crowded will security be at BOS on Black Friday (25th)? Is there a first class/premium line at BOS?

Thanks for any answers and help on these questions!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:13 pm
Suspended

1. Your UA Prem. Exec. equates to *G on other *A carriers, including US. That doesn't get you any special seating on US, but USS seats are assigned starting at T-24 for those who OCLI and at check-in for those who do so at the airport. USS boarding is by row number not zone, so your *G doesn't help there. Check in on UA.com for your UA flight.

2. Your *G status will get you a free bag and a 90-minute connection at BOS between US & UA won't be a problem (general rule is that your bag moves more quickly than you do). If you are on separate PNR's for your two legs, make sure you have your onward itinerary, including your UA record locator & ticket # on it available to US at time of check-in.

3-4. Transfer between US & UA is a PITA becs. you do change terminals and that means clearing checkpoint again. Black Friday will be crowded, but not crazy. You will have access to UA priority line.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. What does OCLI stand for? I looked for it and I couldn't find anything. So if i check in the second check-in opens for US Air will that get me anything?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:28 pm
MSF

Programs: CO *G, PC Gold, Hilton Gold
OLCI = Online check in. There's a glossary somewhere on here if you have time to peruse it. FT has quite a big learning curve but well worth it IMHO!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSF
There's a glossary somewhere on here if you have time to peruse it.
Where would that be located?? Sounds interesting.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by UAL250
Where would that be located?...
FT Glossary

Have fun!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:14 pm

Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:05 pm

One more question for you guys.

What's the chance of a flight from DCA-BOS being delayed on Black Friday? I don't want to miss my next flight from BOS to SFO. Are cancellations and/or delays common or only unlucky?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.