Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Note: this Wikipost is a quick summary of what dcpatti put together in post 1, on page 1 of this thread. Feel free to make changes to this post, or PM aztimm, if you find something incorrect or needs more detail.

Shuttles are the nonstop flights between DCA (DC-Washington National), LGA (NY-LaGuardia) and BOS (Boston-Logan).

What's different about the shuttle?
You'll get an early morning snack on departures before 9 am, and free beer or wine in coach all day long. First Class refreshments are similar to other US flights of a similar length.

I heard some stuff about not being able to pre-assign seats.

The Shuttle used to work a little differently to other flights but has recently changed to using the same pre-assigned seating as all other flights. You should be able to select your seat at the time of booking now. In addition the Shuttle is no longer open-seating, instead it follows the normal US seating procedures with varying charges for ChoiceSeats. As with other flights these seats are not available for free at T-24.

What about upgrades?
They'll work just like regular flights, with the first comp upgrades being given at the 7-day Chairmans window. Upgrade seats will be available for non-elites at check-in or by calling at 24-hours before the flight.

I heard they have weird ideas on boarding.
NOTE: In addition to what is below, GalleyWench posted the following (post #91 on 5/12/13):
just read that starting May 22nd the shuttle will start boarding like mainline, no more front to back. Will try to get the specifics in the next couple days.
The Shuttle flights don't board by zone even if there's one on the boarding pass. You'll find a ton of elites on these flights, and if most of the plane holds Zone 1 or 2, then boarding doesn't go very fast. So they revert to the old-school boarding by rows. Folks who need assistance first, then First Class, then the last rows of the plane, working forward to the front.

I heard they have weird ideas on deplaning, too.
In some cases, they will deplane Shuttle flights from both the front aircraft door via jetway and the rear aircraft door via stairs.

Anything else that's different?
In NYC-LaGuardia you'll exit the terminal through a different exit, in the center of the gate area and down a flight of stairs. You'll be on the curb in about 4 minutes.

Can I go home early?
Sure. With the exception of the very peak travel times, you can usually get a seat on an earlier Shuttle. US charges a $50 fee for a confirmed stand-by for an earlier flight. This fee is waived for Elites and for certain passengers on full-fare Y/B tickets.

Can I go home late?
Technically, US Airways does not offer any accommodations to those who "miss" a flight; if you want to change into a later flight with a confirmed seat, you'll need to pay the change fee plus any fare difference. But in many cases, passengers who are tardy for their flights are re-ticketed onto the next available flight as a courtesy.

Where are my gates?
  • At BOS, you'll be at Gates B16-B19.
  • At LGA, you'll be at Gates C17-C22.
  • At DCA, you'll be at Gates 41-44 (North Pier/C Concourse)

Can I hang out in a club or lounge?
Each airport has a US Airways Club and an Admirals Club. Your US Club membership (annual or 30-day) will allow you access to any of these, but US day passes will only work at US-branded clubs. Note that not all Admirals Clubs are easily accessible from US-operated gates.

Club locations:
  • At BOS (map)
    • US Club in Terminal B, between security checkpoint and Gate B4.
    • Admirals Club in Terminal B, near Gate B30 next to Swatch store (requires lengthy walk airside through UA concourse).
  • At LGA (map)
    • US Club in Terminal C, next to Gate C28.
    • Admirals Club in Concourse D, near Gates D1-D2 (requires landside connection, with boarding or gate pass).
  • At DCA (map)
    • US Club in the North Pier/C Concourse, Mezzanine level.
    • Admirals Club in the Central Pier/B Concourse, Mezzanine level (airside shuttle bus service available).

Anything else I need to know?
Taxi fare from LGA to Midtown Manhattan will be $30-40 depending on traffic and route; DCA to downtown DC/ K Street area will be about $20; and BOS to downtown Boston will be about $30. There are public transport options as well.

There is a separate Shuttle baggage claim and check-in desk at LGA and separate kiosks at DCA. Separate Shuttle check-in desk at DCA is located downstairs near Security. There is supposed to be a separate security lane for Shuttle at DCA but it's almost never open. Passengers can also check in at regular US Airways kiosks and counters.
Print Wikipost

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dcpatti

I heard they have weird ideas on deplaning, too.

In some cases, they will deplane Shuttle flights from both the front aircraft door via jetway and the rear aircraft door via stairs. This isn't done at every gate and isn't done in bad weather but sometimes you do get a chance to sit in the back and still get off the plane first.
Additional notes:

-USAir does not deplane from the rear in BOS.
-in DCA, you will walk back up a set of outside stairs into the main terminal where you rejoin the passengers deplaning from the front of the plane. It therefore provides less of an advantage to deplane in the rear in DCA.
- For the Delta Shuttle in LGA, deplaning from the rear will take you directly to the baggage claim/taxi level of the terminal.

Where are my gates?

If you're departing Boston, you'll be at B16-B19.
Generally always(?) BOS-DCA is B18/19 and BOS-LGA is B16/17

There is a separate Shuttle baggage claim and check-in desk at LGA and separate kiosks at DCA. Separate Shuttle check-in desk at DCA is located downstairs near Security. There is supposed to be a separate security lane for Shuttle at DCA but it's almost never open. Passengers can also check in at regular US Airways kiosks and counters. If someone could help me out with these details for BOS, that would be fantastic-- I know what the website says but want to hear from someone who's been there recently!
At DCA the mid-level kiosk (where the Metro/parking exits/entrance is) may not be used for Shuttle check in for USAir.

Originally Posted by cactus47
At BOS there is a separate check-in counter (with kiosks) just for the shuttle flights. There's also a separate security line for the shuttle gates, although as you mention those gates also serve some other mainline flights.
One can use either security line, however, in Terminal B--they connect along the side of the terminal overlooking the runways. There are some nice Adirondack-style chairs there as well, if you're delayed.

Originally Posted by Often1

The Shuttle is exactly what it is called, a Shuttle. 35 mins wheels up to wheels down from DCA to LGA.
Aye, the kicker. "Wheels up to wheels down." Nonetheless, the flight is scheduled for approximately 70-80 minutes, because 50% of the time you'll take off roughly on time and arrive 30 minutes early, and the other 50% of the time you'll be in a ground hold of some sort and won't leave much before the scheduled arrival time.

Last edited by drewguy; May 3, 2011 at 2:14 pm Reason: to combine posts
Old May 3, 2011, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No separate lines for Shuttle, First, elite at DCA C Pier (LGA & BOS Shuttles depart from).
Old May 3, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
US does have a dedicated shuttle belt at baggage claim in BOS, closest to the stairway down from the shuttle gates.... however, when I was there last week it looks like that area is being renovated, so I am not sure if they are still using that belt. If not, the regular baggage claim belts are right down the hall from the shuttle one.
Old May 3, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by hginPHL
US does have a dedicated shuttle belt at baggage claim in BOS, closest to the stairway down from the shuttle gates.... however, when I was there last week it looks like that area is being renovated, so I am not sure if they are still using that belt. If not, the regular baggage claim belts are right down the hall from the shuttle one.
I have always found baggage claim on US shuttle to be a circus. It is true that they almost always *say* they are using the first belt as you come down the stairs, but many a time they announce (or don't-crap shoot) it's on one of the other belts.
Old May 4, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Amtrak DC-Boston would just be brutal.
During a "weather day," (i.e. snow, ice, thunderstorms, etc.) Amtrak can be a God-send. I've taken Amtrak Acela Express from WAS to BOS, beaten colleagues who have waited out their shuttle flights, and had two hot meals with unlimited adult beverages -- all for less than the cost of the shuttle flight.
Old May 7, 2011, 9:18 am

I asked earlier, but maybe I'll ask again. Sometimes I try to check in for the BOS-DCA Shuttle at the main US counter (that's where I get dropped off, and if I'm going to the Club first, it doesn't make sense to go out of my way to the Shuttle counter and backtrack back, especially during the construction now). Sometimes they let me check in (and check a bag) there, but sometimes they make me trek down to the Shuttle counter. Anyone know why? What's wrong with checking in at the main US counter?
Old May 20, 2011, 4:27 am

Exclamation

I work at BOS Logan so I can shed a little light on a couple topics brought up.

DCA flights always depart out of B18 and B19. LGA flights typically depart out of B16-B17 (occasionally B20 & B21 if irregular ops). For those of you who have seen PHX/CLT/LAS departing from the Shuttle side of the terminal, that does happen - although mostly in the morning based on how the aircraft that have remained overnight are routed. (You may, once in a blue moon, see a morning LGA depart from the mainline part of the terminal if one of the E-190s has a routing assignment change overnight). The afternoon PHX flight(s) almost always leave out of B20 or B21, but the LAS and CLT afternoon flights now all leave out of the mainline section of the terminal. And of course all PHL flights leave out B4, B6, or B8 as part of the FastPath branded product. All Express flights - including the Republic-operated E-170/E-175s to PIT - leave out of the mainline section of the terminal.

As for check-in, Shuttle customers without bags can check-in at either the Shuttle or mainline ticket counter. Those with bags to check must use the Shuttle ticket counter because Shuttle bags go to a separate bag room / make-up area on the ramp. There are separate bag rooms because the Shuttle and mainline terminals are actually pretty far apart when driving outside. Also as a FYI, for anyone traveling on a non-Shuttle flight, you can use the Shuttle security checkpoint if the line is shorter, and just turn right after going through security to double back to the mainline gates. That tip may be especially helpful on weekdays in the 3:30PM-4:30PM timeframe.

The entire terminal is undergoing a minor facelift, which includes the old gray carpet being ripped up and new terrazzo flooring being poured. That is why the Shuttle arriving bag belts (A & B) may be blocked off at times. The terminal is also getting new flight information monitors and new overhead lighting.

Hope that helps clarify and summarize the questions that were raised on the BOS Shuttle operation.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Is it true that non-elites get 500 mile minimums on this route?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Is it true that non-elites get 500 mile minimums on this route?
Yes.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:56 am

They are now giving out little snack boxes (in economy, first I believe also), courtesy of the company whose advertising is on them. Mine contained:
a little pack of pita chips, a little pack of dried fruit pieces, and a little pack of Walker's shortbread.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
In Boston there is indeed a separate security line for the shuttle gates. However it rarely has a separate first class line, and depending on the timing can have a long line.
I have also noticed the first class line is almost never opened, but have been told by check-in staff before just to walk around everyone go through the "closed" first class line . I have seen plenty others do this too. Usually there is a roving agent who will walk up and check the credentials of the people who do this.

I almost get the impression there is a contractor who is supposed to be directing first class pax around, but is lazy and hangs out somewhere else within sight of the line.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle
They are now giving out little snack boxes (in economy, first I believe also), courtesy of the company whose advertising is on them. Mine contained:
a little pack of pita chips, a little pack of dried fruit pieces, and a little pack of Walker's shortbread.
The Shuttle is running low (out?) on the branded snack boxes. I haven't had one on any of my last 6 Shuttle flights.

I asked the FA, and she said that the supplier didn't anticipate that much volume, so they're out of them for now.(?)
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:34 pm

Seat assignments in paid F (US Shuttle)

When do the seat maps open for paid F seats on the US Shuttle? I had to book DCA-BOS-DCA on short notice, and as it happened on one leg, the cheaper economy fare was sold out, while fully flexible economy fare actually cost more than the cheaper first class fare. So, it seemed like a no brainer to pick F on that leg. But, I could not reserve a seat in F on that leg.

Maybe the Shuttle seat map does not open until 24 hours, not even for F seats? Any earlier?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
24 hours!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
When do the seat maps open for paid F seats on the US Shuttle? I had to book DCA-BOS-DCA on short notice, and as it happened on one leg, the cheaper economy fare was sold out, while fully flexible economy fare actually cost more than the cheaper first class fare. So, it seemed like a no brainer to pick F on that leg. But, I could not reserve a seat in F on that leg.

Maybe the Shuttle seat map does not open until 24 hours, not even for F seats? Any earlier?
Correct - Shuttle seating opens at 24 hours for OLCI. US CSR can't assign until check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.