Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Note: this Wikipost is a quick summary of what dcpatti put together in post 1, on page 1 of this thread. Feel free to make changes to this post, or PM aztimm, if you find something incorrect or needs more detail.

Shuttles are the nonstop flights between DCA (DC-Washington National), LGA (NY-LaGuardia) and BOS (Boston-Logan).

What's different about the shuttle?
You'll get an early morning snack on departures before 9 am, and free beer or wine in coach all day long. First Class refreshments are similar to other US flights of a similar length.

I heard some stuff about not being able to pre-assign seats.

The Shuttle used to work a little differently to other flights but has recently changed to using the same pre-assigned seating as all other flights. You should be able to select your seat at the time of booking now. In addition the Shuttle is no longer open-seating, instead it follows the normal US seating procedures with varying charges for ChoiceSeats. As with other flights these seats are not available for free at T-24.

What about upgrades?
They'll work just like regular flights, with the first comp upgrades being given at the 7-day Chairmans window. Upgrade seats will be available for non-elites at check-in or by calling at 24-hours before the flight.

I heard they have weird ideas on boarding.
NOTE: In addition to what is below, GalleyWench posted the following (post #91 on 5/12/13):
just read that starting May 22nd the shuttle will start boarding like mainline, no more front to back. Will try to get the specifics in the next couple days.
The Shuttle flights don't board by zone even if there's one on the boarding pass. You'll find a ton of elites on these flights, and if most of the plane holds Zone 1 or 2, then boarding doesn't go very fast. So they revert to the old-school boarding by rows. Folks who need assistance first, then First Class, then the last rows of the plane, working forward to the front.

I heard they have weird ideas on deplaning, too.
In some cases, they will deplane Shuttle flights from both the front aircraft door via jetway and the rear aircraft door via stairs.

Anything else that's different?
In NYC-LaGuardia you'll exit the terminal through a different exit, in the center of the gate area and down a flight of stairs. You'll be on the curb in about 4 minutes.

Can I go home early?
Sure. With the exception of the very peak travel times, you can usually get a seat on an earlier Shuttle. US charges a $50 fee for a confirmed stand-by for an earlier flight. This fee is waived for Elites and for certain passengers on full-fare Y/B tickets.

Can I go home late?
Technically, US Airways does not offer any accommodations to those who "miss" a flight; if you want to change into a later flight with a confirmed seat, you'll need to pay the change fee plus any fare difference. But in many cases, passengers who are tardy for their flights are re-ticketed onto the next available flight as a courtesy.

Where are my gates?
  • At BOS, you'll be at Gates B16-B19.
  • At LGA, you'll be at Gates C17-C22.
  • At DCA, you'll be at Gates 41-44 (North Pier/C Concourse)

Can I hang out in a club or lounge?
Each airport has a US Airways Club and an Admirals Club. Your US Club membership (annual or 30-day) will allow you access to any of these, but US day passes will only work at US-branded clubs. Note that not all Admirals Clubs are easily accessible from US-operated gates.

Club locations:
  • At BOS (map)
    • US Club in Terminal B, between security checkpoint and Gate B4.
    • Admirals Club in Terminal B, near Gate B30 next to Swatch store (requires lengthy walk airside through UA concourse).
  • At LGA (map)
    • US Club in Terminal C, next to Gate C28.
    • Admirals Club in Concourse D, near Gates D1-D2 (requires landside connection, with boarding or gate pass).
  • At DCA (map)
    • US Club in the North Pier/C Concourse, Mezzanine level.
    • Admirals Club in the Central Pier/B Concourse, Mezzanine level (airside shuttle bus service available).

Anything else I need to know?
Taxi fare from LGA to Midtown Manhattan will be $30-40 depending on traffic and route; DCA to downtown DC/ K Street area will be about $20; and BOS to downtown Boston will be about $30. There are public transport options as well.

There is a separate Shuttle baggage claim and check-in desk at LGA and separate kiosks at DCA. Separate Shuttle check-in desk at DCA is located downstairs near Security. There is supposed to be a separate security lane for Shuttle at DCA but it's almost never open. Passengers can also check in at regular US Airways kiosks and counters.
Print Wikipost

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Just flew a weekend round trip DCA-BOS. Very packed both ways -- but since a wekeend, I'm guessing not overwhelmingly elite.

Nevertheless they boarded strictly by rows. And in both directions those in the "preferred" seats -- even announced as such by G/A in DCA -- were forced to check rollerboards and wait forever in the jetway. And of course those were overwhelmingly elites, grumbling heavily.

(I was also told by an F/A that I couldn't have any overhead space at all, since there was a pax behind me with two bags for whom it had to be saved. But I digress...)

Really seems to me that on weekends they could pre-board elites.

And there were no snacks, even though website says there are.

A short flight, so not the end of the world. But could be better...
Old Nov 4, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
why not get a seat at the back? Board first, get your drink first, deplane first via rear airstairs.

At DCA, US operates a focus city, so there are plenty of connection opportunities.

Overhead space is less of an issue on weekdays, as you have more people travelling on a day trip.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA ExePlat
DCA-BOS now has Airbus 320 on some flights.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
DCA-BOS Seat Selection

So I booked a DCA-BOS flight on a return trip from DCA to Vegas later this month (basically flying DCA-BOS and then BOS-LAS was cheaper than DCA-LAS, plus more miles), but it appears I can't select a seat on the flight until checkin. Is this true for *G members? Should I call to get a seat selection? Are can *G get exit rows?

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:44 pm

Programs: WFBF
(the Shuttle flights between DCA, BOS and LGA don't do advance seat selection since there's so much churn on them; you get your seat at check-in. Also, they board strictly by row, regardless of status or zone, allegedly because they're so elite-heavy that practically the whole plane would be trying to board at once otherwise)

Last edited by aztimm; Jan 3, 2013 at 7:17 am Reason: merged thread cleanup
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
It's a shuttle flight so no seat selection prior to check-in. Not just for *G but for everyone including US preferreds too.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
(the Shuttle flights between DCA, BOS and LGA don't do advance seat selection since there's so much churn on them; you get your seat at check-in. Also, they board strictly by row, regardless of status or zone, allegedly because they're so elite-heavy that practically the whole plane would be trying to board at once otherwise)
Thanks for the heads up. When the ticket was on hold for united I saw via my US Airways conf# that it said something about not getting a seat until checkin. It also said I couldn't get a seat until the flight was actually ticketed b/c I was *G... So I wasn't sure what was right.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by dcpatti
Can I go home early?

Sure. With the exception of the very peak travel times, you can usually get a seat on an earlier Shuttle. US charges a $50 fee for a confirmed stand-by for an earlier flight. This fee is waived for Elites and for certain passengers on full-fare Y/B tickets, usually those whose corporate travel desks have made special arrangements. If a flight is expected to be full, you can wait till the last minute and do an Unconfirmed Stand-by for free (but not if the flight isn't expected to be full). Oh and sometimes, especially when bad weather is on its way, the kiosks or the gate agents will offer folks the chance to move up one flight for free. This doesn't always happen, so listen out for the GA to make an announcement.
Is the fee waived only for US elites or also *G? Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Is the fee waived only for US elites or also *G? Thanks!
Only waived for US Preferred. *G has to pay the full (now $75) fee.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
It's not all that elite-heavy, especially on the weekends.

I take DCA-BOS-DCA very often and IMO the boarding process is by far the worst thing about the Shuttle product. I have never found boarding by rows any more efficient than boarding by zone. There is no reason for US to treat their (or *A) elites any differently on the Shuttle - especially frustrating when the zone number is printed on the BP and we are told to ignore it. I was in line a few months ago with a Chairman's Preferred (who was unfortunately seated in row 4) on a packed Saturday am flight as the GA made us wait until the very end to board and pray to find carry on space. Terrible way to treat your best customers.

Last edited by flyer703; Jan 3, 2013 at 7:02 pm Reason: minor typo
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by flyer703
I was in line a few months ago with a Chairman's Preferred (who was unfortunately seated in row 4) on a packed Saturday am flight as the GA made us wait until the very end to board and pray to find carry on space. Terrible way to treat your best customers.
Agreed ... even worse when they make a CP gate check a carry-on! I don't see a huge number of elites on the shuttle anymore (I can usually get an upgrade on tickets booked day of departure) - they need to revisit this procedure.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Shuttle Seats/Upgrades/MoveUp

On Friday I am flying DL to BOS, then BOS-DCA-RDU.

I arrive in BOS at 1:34. I'm scheduled on a 4:00 shuttle to DCA arriving 5:31, then DCA-RDU at 6:45.

I couldn't select a seat on the BOS-DCA flight, as it's a shuttle flight.

Is there anything unusual about it being a shuttle that would affect upgrades or MoveUp? I'm not sure why I got booked on that itinerary, as there are earlier flights, probably price, or maybe minimum connecting time. (I probably could not be scheduled on a 2:00 shuttle, and the 3:00 would arrive at around 4:31, too close to confirm on a 5:00 flight.)

Will I just get upgraded (or not) on the shuttle flight in the normal course of events?

Let's say I miss the 2:00 shuttle in BOS. Will they put me on the 3:00 even though they can't confirm me on the 5:00 DCA-RDU flight, although I might still make it?

I might be checking a bag. Will this be a problem? It won't matter to me if my bag gets to RDU after I do, I don't need it immediately and I can go to the airport and get it later. (I have to go back around 9:30 to pick up my wife anyway.)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:12 am

So many things come into play. First, are you on a single itinerary or do you have separate DL/US tickets? If separate tickets, your entire US itinerary will be cancelled if you don't show up for the first flight. They won't be able to rebook you on an illegal connection when they try to put you on the next flight. If you are on a single itinerary, it should cancel your BOSDCA as a misconnect. I don't think it will cancel the DCARDU segment at the same time but maybe AWAFlyboy can help answer.

As far as upgrades go, it should be Business As Usual. It's such a high-elite market, chance of an upgrade is slim, but stranger things have happened.

The luggage is supposed to travel with you. They will attempt to find your bag and move it to the same itinerary if you misconnect. If you didn't misconnect, and are just trying to Move Up, they will deny the move-up if there's not sufficient time to reroute the luggage too.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:30 pm

I am on a single ticket, but there is no issue of not showing up for a flight. I will be on the DL flight to BOS. BOS-DCA and DCA-RDU are US. I won't misconnect since I won't even try to change my BOS-DCA flight until I get to BOS.

I did find out also that there is a 2:40 flight through CLT that arrives in RDU at 6:51. So if I don't make the 2:00 shuttle, I will probably try for that. Taking the 3:00 shuttle would be pretty close on making it to DCA in time for a 5:00 flight.

I wasn't expecting to be upgraded, especially since I'm at the bottom of the gold list with very few PQM's. (I'm on gold trial.) But thought I'd ask anyway.

Sounds like I'm better off not checking a bag if I can help it. I'd hate to get left in BOS because I can make it but my bag can't.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:28 am

Well I did get upgraded. There may be some other lucky elite on the 4:00 shuttle, because I will be trying fairly hard to get off it and onto an earlier flight. Although (since I'm getting old and cranky about sitting in Y) I might not do it if it only saves me an hour. Two hours would be another story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.