Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Note: this Wikipost is a quick summary of what dcpatti put together in post 1, on page 1 of this thread. Feel free to make changes to this post, or PM aztimm, if you find something incorrect or needs more detail.

Shuttles are the nonstop flights between DCA (DC-Washington National), LGA (NY-LaGuardia) and BOS (Boston-Logan).

What's different about the shuttle?
You'll get an early morning snack on departures before 9 am, and free beer or wine in coach all day long. First Class refreshments are similar to other US flights of a similar length.

I heard some stuff about not being able to pre-assign seats.

The Shuttle used to work a little differently to other flights but has recently changed to using the same pre-assigned seating as all other flights. You should be able to select your seat at the time of booking now. In addition the Shuttle is no longer open-seating, instead it follows the normal US seating procedures with varying charges for ChoiceSeats. As with other flights these seats are not available for free at T-24.

What about upgrades?
They'll work just like regular flights, with the first comp upgrades being given at the 7-day Chairmans window. Upgrade seats will be available for non-elites at check-in or by calling at 24-hours before the flight.

I heard they have weird ideas on boarding.
NOTE: In addition to what is below, GalleyWench posted the following (post #91 on 5/12/13):
just read that starting May 22nd the shuttle will start boarding like mainline, no more front to back. Will try to get the specifics in the next couple days.
The Shuttle flights don't board by zone even if there's one on the boarding pass. You'll find a ton of elites on these flights, and if most of the plane holds Zone 1 or 2, then boarding doesn't go very fast. So they revert to the old-school boarding by rows. Folks who need assistance first, then First Class, then the last rows of the plane, working forward to the front.

I heard they have weird ideas on deplaning, too.
In some cases, they will deplane Shuttle flights from both the front aircraft door via jetway and the rear aircraft door via stairs.

Anything else that's different?
In NYC-LaGuardia you'll exit the terminal through a different exit, in the center of the gate area and down a flight of stairs. You'll be on the curb in about 4 minutes.

Can I go home early?
Sure. With the exception of the very peak travel times, you can usually get a seat on an earlier Shuttle. US charges a $50 fee for a confirmed stand-by for an earlier flight. This fee is waived for Elites and for certain passengers on full-fare Y/B tickets.

Can I go home late?
Technically, US Airways does not offer any accommodations to those who "miss" a flight; if you want to change into a later flight with a confirmed seat, you'll need to pay the change fee plus any fare difference. But in many cases, passengers who are tardy for their flights are re-ticketed onto the next available flight as a courtesy.

Where are my gates?
  • At BOS, you'll be at Gates B16-B19.
  • At LGA, you'll be at Gates C17-C22.
  • At DCA, you'll be at Gates 41-44 (North Pier/C Concourse)

Can I hang out in a club or lounge?
Each airport has a US Airways Club and an Admirals Club. Your US Club membership (annual or 30-day) will allow you access to any of these, but US day passes will only work at US-branded clubs. Note that not all Admirals Clubs are easily accessible from US-operated gates.

Club locations:
  • At BOS (map)
    • US Club in Terminal B, between security checkpoint and Gate B4.
    • Admirals Club in Terminal B, near Gate B30 next to Swatch store (requires lengthy walk airside through UA concourse).
  • At LGA (map)
    • US Club in Terminal C, next to Gate C28.
    • Admirals Club in Concourse D, near Gates D1-D2 (requires landside connection, with boarding or gate pass).
  • At DCA (map)
    • US Club in the North Pier/C Concourse, Mezzanine level.
    • Admirals Club in the Central Pier/B Concourse, Mezzanine level (airside shuttle bus service available).

Anything else I need to know?
Taxi fare from LGA to Midtown Manhattan will be $30-40 depending on traffic and route; DCA to downtown DC/ K Street area will be about $20; and BOS to downtown Boston will be about $30. There are public transport options as well.

There is a separate Shuttle baggage claim and check-in desk at LGA and separate kiosks at DCA. Separate Shuttle check-in desk at DCA is located downstairs near Security. There is supposed to be a separate security lane for Shuttle at DCA but it's almost never open. Passengers can also check in at regular US Airways kiosks and counters.
Print Wikipost

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Seat Map

Hi, I am wondering is anyone else has been experiencing this. I am PP and have been flying from LGA to DCA on the last 3 tuesdays and returning the following day. My flights have been on A319s run by US not Air Wisconsin. I usually book 5 days before when there are plenty of FC seats available on the seat map.

On my last 6 flights, even though there have been plenty of FC seats when I check in I have never been awarded an upgrade. What is strange to me is that I cannot choose my seat during booking. Even when I go into the reservation on the US site to change my seat, I get a message indicating that I cannot choose my seat until check in. It seems like the two things are related but I'm not sure..... All my other flights have never failed to provide an upgrade.

Just curious....

AJC
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I can't speak to the upgrade issue but the inability to choose seats between LGA and DCA is because it is a US Shuttle flight. Shuttle goes between any pair of LGA, DCA and BOS and seats are only selectable at check-in.

The commonality may be that you're not getting an upgrade despite seat map showing lots of empty seats because the higher-status elites and paying f customers have not yet checked in and not yet chosen a seat. Using a tool like KVS or ExpertFlyer to view the actual inventory counts rather than the seat map might be far more accurate. If KVS or EF says F= 0 then you know all the F seats are already given out, even if the actual chairs have not been picked.

FWIW shuttle flights tend to be fairly easy upgrades due to the very frequent service, but there are certain peak demand flights where everyone and their brother is a CP, which, mixed with lots of paid F fares, could make for a more difficult upgrade. Last time I flew DCA-BOS and back I was checking availability using ExpertFlyer a few days ahead of time. Each of my travel days had both a morning and an evening flight where F=3 or less but every other flight that day had F= 8 or more. If you are flying consistently at the same time of day, it might be worth flying an hour earlier or later if you want to increase your upgrade chances.

Last edited by dcpatti; Nov 4, 2013 at 12:58 pm
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
awesome information. Thanks for your reply!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I just booked a Shuttle flight for the week after next and was able to pick a seat at booking for the outbound and return; the assignments seem to have stuck as I can view them in my reservations. AM I losing it or is the Shuttle offering seat assignments in advance now...?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by River in Sight
I just booked a Shuttle flight for the week after next and was able to pick a seat at booking for the outbound and return; the assignments seem to have stuck as I can view them in my reservations. AM I losing it or is the Shuttle offering seat assignments in advance now...?
Same thing happened to me today -- good news! Maybe because I logged under my US frequent flyer # when I booked?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Last week I got an upgrade email, I was able to select my seat for the mainline but not the shuttle part of the outbound. When I got the upgrade for the return, I was able to select for all flights including the shuttle. Won't know until Monday if it stuck.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Another Hassle & Devaluation on Shuttle - Choice Seats

I just checked in for a shuttle flight for tomorrow, and noticed many of the seats are paid choice seats. The paid choice seats go back to about row 13 or 14, and are being priced at about $45.

I've never noticed paid choice seats before on shuttle flights, and I see this as a devaluation and a hassle. I'm also now enrolled (completed actually) a JetBlue Mosaic challenge, and the grass seems greener with no change fees on JetBlue for Mosaic!

It appears as though row 4 and 5 are blocked off for elites, but there are no aisle seats available.

I would not have as much of an issue with the choice seats program if the fee were waived for elites.

I also see this as creating a lot more work for agents possibly having to assign more seats at the airport & at the gate manually.

I wonder if OLCI ever releases the choice seats for free if all non choice seats have been taken. I will keep checking this flight for tomorrow.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Choice Seats with a Fee Hit Shuttle Week of Sun 11/3/2013

Per my last post, apparently this was implemented on shuttle flights sometime during the week of 11/3. On my last shuttle flight, pax were changing seats more with the agents, and also once the door closed people were saying they would "poach" an aisle seat, e.g. they probably picked a middle via OLCI or the kiosk.

Also in booking a recent shuttle flight, the booking process flow showed that the seat map was not available, but then I was assigned 9C in advance. I don't know if this can be changed before OLCI.

It also seems somehow on shuttle OLCI or some pre OLCI process randomly assigns seats, eg you see a seat picked for you when you begin OLCI. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason on if it gives you an aisle or window.

This is really just adding a lot of hassle to the shuttle. Its certainly something one can "deal with," but it increases the hassle factor, increases the number of steps and processes required, and it makes my new JetBlue Mosaic status badge with no change fees or same day change fees seem much greener than Move Up!

I would be curious if other regulars on BOS DCA think the grass is greener with Mosaic with absolutely no change fees for any reason? Take that, US $200 fee!

I will concede especially at DCA I like US's facilities better than B6, but with change fees & choice seats & possibly more hassles I may fly B6 more especially once they get FlyFi their WiFi service.

For example, this weekend I booked a B6 BOS to DCA round trip, and the event I am going to got postponed. I simply call the B6 Mosaic number, and I will get the full credit of the fare I paid in my B6 travel bank with no fee to use on a future trip.

Also there is a meeting that may or may not happen on Mon Dec 30, so I'm a lot more comfortable booking the trip now on B6 knowing if the meeting doesn't happen, I can get the full value back in a travel credit. Conversely, if I booked it now on US, I could easily lose the full value of the ticket with a $200 change fee!

I don't think the agents like the "enhancements" that US is making with the shuttle either. The shuttles used to be premium brands and products!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I can add a data point to being able to select seats. I have a DCA - BOS shuttle scheduled for Friday morning 630am and was anticipating just getting up a little earlier Thursday to check-in and snag a seat (flew DCA - LGA shuttle for 5 weeks this summer so I'm used to that routine). Was actually checking just now because I still need to get my UA and KTN into the booking and while I was unable to do either of those things I decided to click on the "seat selection" for fun and it actually popped up and showed me a 1/2 full plane. Rows 6, 7 (except middle), and 12 (aisle only) are all available for $43. The rest of the rows (4, 5, 8, 9, 10) are all grayed out as are all of the aisle seats all the way back to 18. I got lucky and I guess snagged the last aisle seat in 19. Needless to say they clearly opened up the seat-map, I'll update if for some reason at T-24 all the grayed out areas show available again.

Note I am not a US elite (not logged into my non-elite US account either) and I still don't have my UA 1K status attached to the ticket so it's clearly not limited to US elites or *G since currently my ticket reflects neither of those things.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA ExePlat
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
I can add a data point to being able to select seats.
US made a change a few weeks ago, I received an email about. Everyone can now book seats during purchase.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsieds
US made a change a few weeks ago, I received an email about. Everyone can now book seats during purchase.
Ah got it. Guess because I have nothing on US I didn't get an email and haven't flown the Shuttle since the summer so I had no idea (when I booked this flight about 8 weeks ago it wouldn't let me select seats so I must've purchased it just before the change). Glad I caught it and was able to get a seat before T-24 (when I'm sure there are others who will be selecting seats based on the old assumption that T-24 was the seat selection time).

Last edited by Duke787; Nov 20, 2013 at 7:19 pm Reason: Wiki was updated - no need for text request to stay in
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by flyerdude88

Someone with more US Airways knowledge should update the Wiki which still shows T-24 since that's where I looked and why I assumed my data point was still necessary to add since it hadn't been changed in the wiki (I don't want to update since I don't have complete information since I'm not a US flyer and I don't want to update it with wrong information)
Done!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcpatti
Done!
. Thanks! I guess I'll have to start learning all the stuff on this board soon enough, better start here
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Shuttle now offering pre-assigned seats

Passengers can now assign seats at booking, instead of at check-in. Any idea when this changed?

From usairways.com:

When you travel between Boston, New York and Washington, DC, the choice is simple. US Airways Shuttle is the right decision when being on time is the only option.

You can check in online 24 hours before departure or at dedicated check-in counters. The airport check-in cutoff is 20 minutes before departure without checked luggage and 30 minutes before departure with checked luggage.

You can choose your seat when you book, check-in or at any time in between by managing your reservation online. Boarding is by zone with a priority lane for First Class and PreferredAccess customers, as well as Dividend Miles Preferred and Star Alliance Gold members.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:24 pm

deleted because post moved to incorrect section

Last edited by threepackape; Nov 25, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.