Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is obsolete. The 2014 / 2015 status match challenges offered to flyers from United Airlines is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
I'm tempted to call now in case the offer goes away, but definitely would not want to start the challenge until Feb. 2013 expiration is assured.

Is it OK to call now, tell them I won't start the challenge until late June, and get that assurance?

And does "start the challenge" mean take the first trip, or make the first booking?

Thanks......
My understanding is that completing the challenge only grants you EXP until the end of THIS status year, Feb 29, 2012. If you complete the challenge and in turn complete the regular requirements for EXP before the end of this calendar year, you would have EXP until Feb 28 2013.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pdog02
Excellent summary. In other words the poster did no research and or thought this through before posting the usual FT mean ol' airline they don't understand rant.
And the "I'm taking my ball and going home" response.

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JNB280
My understanding is that completing the challenge only grants you EXP until the end of THIS status year, Feb 29, 2012. If you complete the challenge and in turn complete the regular requirements for EXP before the end of this calendar year, you would have EXP until Feb 28 2013.
That's not what Cheerfulflyer posted above.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
Yeah; just not sure how to discourage folks against this offer to stop posting FALSE or silly things here.
I am not "against" this offer, and I said MY understanding of it, which differs from your understanding. If you can prove without question that your stance is correct, I will happily delete my post.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA - 1k, AA - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, SPG - Gold,
Originally Posted by Fanjet
There is a Gold (as well as a Plat) challenge. I believe the Plat challenge costs $200 upfront and you have to earn 10K EQPs in the 90-day period, whereas, the Gold requires 5K EQPs.

I'm wondering how many UA 1Ks and DL Diamonds would take them up on this offer since the 25K EQMs would basically require them to fly in coach for that qualification period if they don't purchase e500's (at $30 a pop) or an outright first/business class fare. Then there's the fees and taxes ($500 +) to book an AAward on BA in business or first (Y is about $100 cheaper). Now that's an incentive to rack up them miles!!
Contacted AA and was essentially told there is no such thing as an Exec Plat Challenge or exception. From there, the agent read the same script as outlined above. Not sure who or who anyone could come from UA as a 1k and get EP status unless you're a CEO or paying top dollar for tickets.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by bucktown5
Contacted AA and was essentially told there is no such thing as an Exec Plat Challenge or exception. From there, the agent read the same script as outlined above. Not sure who or who anyone could come from UA as a 1k and get EP status unless you're a CEO or paying top dollar for tickets.
Did you tell them you are a 1K?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by JNB280
I am not "against" this offer, and I said MY understanding of it, which differs from your understanding. If you can prove without question that your stance is correct, I will happily delete my post.
If a conference call would be too awkward, I sugget that you speak to Executive Office yourself. It is only by taking responsibility for what you claim to know, can you actually find out if you are rigt or wrong. Of course it will also take a bit of humilty and honesty to admit that you are not correct. In the meanwhile, defer your judgement to actually those who have received some credible (albeit unconfirmed as everything about this program is unpublished) info. That would be a respectful thing to do.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA - 1k, AA - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, SPG - Gold,
yes...multiple times.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I'm wondering how many UA 1Ks and DL Diamonds would take them up on this offer since the 25K EQMs would basically require them to fly in coach for that qualification period if they don't purchase e500's (at $30 a pop) or an outright first/business class fare.
Wrong. Assuming the offer is real and the threshhold is 25K, it's not 25K EQM it's 25K EQP and the WORST way to do this would be in coach (assuming you meant deep-discount). Deep discount gets .5EQP/mi, discount economy gets 1.0 EQP/mi, and full fare economy, business and first get 1.5 EQP/mi. See this chart.

This would seem to be designed for those who purchase first/business class fares. In that case, you're talking about 16,667 miles, close to the range for a single round trip from DFW to SYD, NRT, DEL, or a trip a month from DFW to LHR and back, etc. Not a whole lot of volume, just money spent on business class fares.

FWIW, my employer authorizes business class for anything over a 10 hour flight. Were I commuting to London each month (or, like a friend, Shanghai every other month for several weeks), I'd easily hit that.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
EXP challenge is still by invitation only and only given on a case by case basis. As I explained in the thread I started over at UA 5 months ago, you will need to contact AA CS (or if you have a contact elsewhere ) and provide them with whatever information you think that will help your case and have CS forward your information to AA Executive Offices. Only AA Executive Offices can enroll you in the EXP challenge.

There have been a few UA 1Ks and GSs stating that they have been invited to complete the EXP challenge, but my sourse at AA Executive Offices indicated that AA is still looking at each request independently and not every 1K or GS will be invited. The OP basically invited himself to the Executive Offices (but hey, whatever works, right? ) but just note that CS may refuse to transfer you.

Also, I can confirm that challengers will indeed receive 8 eVIPS at the completion of the challenge. However, as far as I know, the EXP status is only valid until Feb 2012, unless challengers have more than 100K EQP/EQM for this calendar year. AA could have a different time frame for challenges starting later this year, but I am unable to confirm that with my source.

Originally Posted by aktchi
A friend contacted AAdvantage CS re EXP challenge. In response, they told him how much they value his loyalty and that the fastest way to EXP is by purchasing premium fares.

So, it looks like you do have to be top-tier elite at another carrier to be offered the challenge.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:44 pm

yes...multiple times.
If your signature is correct , there is another big caveat to the exception program. That is one must NOT have or had any elite status on AA for 2010 or 2011. If that fits your scenario then indeed the agents you are speaking to are absolutely correct in telling you there is no challenge to EXP.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:51 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BlissWorld

Also, I can confirm that challengers will indeed receive 8 eVIPS at the completion of the challenge. However, as far as I know, the EXP status is only valid until Feb 2012, unless challengers have more than 100K EQP/EQM for this calendar year.
The question is- if they receive 8 SWUs for completing the challenge, would they receive another 8 if they they qualify for EXP "the real way" within the calendar year? Or would their EXP just be extended until 2/2013, just like it would for any normal qualifier?

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Mar 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm Reason: Fixed based on post below. It is 2011 at present after all...
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
The question is- if they receive 8 SWUs for completing the challenge, would they receive another 8 if they they qualify for EXP "the real way" within the calendar year? Or would their EXP just be extended until 2/2012, just like it would for any normal qualifier?

Cheers.
Actually, that would be 2013. Status granted in 2011 is automatically good through Feb 2012.

One would HOPE that the SWU's are only issued at the time of obtaining EXP, once. When you crossed the "real" threshold it wouldn't matter since you were already EXP. One hopes.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by brp
The question is- if they receive 8 SWUs for completing the challenge, would they receive another 8 if they they qualify for EXP "the real way" within the calendar year? Or would their EXP just be extended until 2/2013, just like it would for any normal qualifier?

Cheers.
As I posted earlier in the thread, an AA customer service supervisor CONFIRMED for me that another 8 SWUs will be earned by those challengers who also cross 100 EQP/EQM/Segs in 2011. That would also bestow status through Feb 2013. So a challenger CAN (per my conversation with customer service supervisor) earn 8 SWUs for completing the challenge, another 8 for making EXP legitimately in 2011, plus 8 more when they requalify in 2012 for status through Feb 2013.

CheerfulFlyer doesn't believe that my convo with the agent should be considered confirmation, but that only depositing SWUs accordingly would be. I, for my part, have no reason to believe that the supervisor I spoke with was in the least bit of doubt about the program and its policies.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mreed911
One would HOPE that the SWU's are only issued at the time of obtaining EXP, once. When you crossed the "real" threshold it wouldn't matter since you were already EXP. One hopes.
Take look at what I just posted. As the program stands, your hope is misplaced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.