Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is obsolete. The 2014 / 2015 status match challenges offered to flyers from United Airlines is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:49 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mikelat
Those threads are about UA members moving to AA. Is there a separate thread for AA member offers for moving to UA?
Whoopsie! You're absolutely right - my apologies. I mis-read your post and thought you were talking about poaching the other direction.

Perhaps the OP meant this discussion, which does mention that UA is offering a program to match status to UA for several different other partner programs, including AA: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...an-2011-a.html

And here are a couple posts I found in the status matching thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15600599-post1375.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15879029-post1445.html
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Well, since BlissWorld first clarified this (and didn't just post 8 + another 8 like prior posters), it doesn't seem quite as bad to me. The first 8 expire 2/2012, as if the person were a 2010 qualifier. Then, "real" qualification during the current year yields 2013 SWUs, as it should. The idea of giving the first 8 is questionable with regard to current elites, but they do seem to be of shorter life.

Cheers.
If only the SWUs were usable only through 2/2012. We all know that exceptions get made frequently on this issue.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
I was offered this challenge, but haven't yet chosen my start date. The AAdvantage rep said that all OW flights qualify unlike the gld/plat challenges, but it seems from what most people have said only AA coded flights are eligible. Has anyone completed the challenge based on EQP earned on OW airlines without AA codes? Or completed a challenge after 25k EQP on AA bt would have hit 25k earlier if OW flights were included in the 25k calculation?

I'm flying about 35k EQP in June, but about half of that is on RJ and QF coded/metal flights. It would be great if I could get FCL access on some intra-asia flights that only offer J, as I'm flying BKK-DEL-NRT-PEK in August and would especially like to try out the JL F lounge in NRT.

By my calculations the only way for me to get 25k EQP of AA coded flights in a 3 month period based on my current travel plans would have me hit 25k with the same flight that would actually qualify me for EXP, i.e. the same flight that would put me over 100k EQP in 2011. I can only think think that any guess about whether this would net me 8 or 16 SWU is purely speculation.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Have you asked AA to put it in an e-mail or letter stating all OW carrier flights will count? If they can do that for you it sounds like that makes the decision much easier. If they resist, seems that also makes the decision for you. Thats based on my reading that the challenge won't really net you anything additional over qualifying normally (unless you do get 8 + 8 SWU/eVIPs).

One other thing to consider is that the challenge may be a once/lifetime thing. So if it'd be possible that you could use it in the future with travel later then you may want to hold it in your back pocket. 'Course, that assumes you'd still have top-tier status on one of the selected competitors and that the program will still be around when you want it
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold
Well, I called and asked about this, and the woman I spoke with said it didn't exist. Whether or not I am eligible, I wouldn't expect to be lied to.

BTW - Concorde Room at Terminal 5 Heathrow is overrated.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Bingham
Well, I called and asked about this, and the woman I spoke with said it didn't exist. Whether or not I am eligible, I wouldn't expect to be lied to.

BTW - Concorde Room at Terminal 5 Heathrow is overrated.
Are you already EXP? If so, that's why you got the answer you did...
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
Wink

It does not *exist*. Now whether the "Executive Offices" have the discretion to use whatever tools they choose to, in order to woo other airline elites over or to gain back the business of travelers who have slacked off, then more power to "them". It's misleading for anyone to post a guide to what they think happens. If you have direct experience with the process, post away, but please do not profess to know exactly what this is based on and lead others astray. When you call the regular customer service line, the answer will always be "There is no challenge for Executive Platinum". Anyone, including a Qantas flyer, has the option to write in to ACS and ask for consideration to achieve status directly with AA. It would be treated accordingly at that point.
And as an aside, on any fast track to status, it would always be points. And it would be AA flight numbers only. Not OW flights marketed and sold as that airline. AA codeshare only.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by trinity_in_texas
It does not *exist*. Now whether the "Executive Offices" have the discretion to use whatever tools they choose to, in order to woo other airline elites over or to gain back the business of travelers who have slacked off, then more power to "them". It's misleading for anyone to post a guide to what they think happens. If you have direct experience with the process, post away, but please do not profess to know exactly what this is based on and lead others astray. When you call the regular customer service line, the answer will always be "There is no challenge for Executive Platinum". Anyone, including a Qantas flyer, has the option to write in to ACS and ask for consideration to achieve status directly with AA. It would be treated accordingly at that point.
And as an aside, on any fast track to status, it would always be points. And it would be AA flight numbers only. Not OW flights marketed and sold as that airline. AA codeshare only.
I have direct experience with the process, and I can tell you the bolded sentence is patently false.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
I have direct experience with the process, and I can tell you the bolded sentence is patently false.

And I can tell you, without a doubt, that no agent at CS should be mentioning a program that does not officially exist. How do I know this? I have first hand knowledge every day of the week. If someone at the ACS line told you that there was a Executive Platinum challenge, then you received incorrect information. Call today and ask again. See what "they" say and let me know.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:34 am

And I can tell you, without a doubt, that no agent at CS should be mentioning a program that does not officially exist. How do I know this? I have first hand knowledge every day of the week. If someone at the ACS line told you that there was a Executive Platinum challenge, then you received incorrect information. Call today and ask again. See what "they" say and let me know.
Why would I call back when I am already in it?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:49 am

Well you don't have to. I am simply clarifying that what I stated is correct. Just thought you'd like to double check that the information I posted was correct. In the spirit of posting accurate information of course.

Why would I call back when I am already in it?
And of course, I don't mean to say that you would ask for your particular situation, I'm stating anyone that calls in randomly would get that answer.

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 26, 2011 at 2:19 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:57 am

And of course, I don't mean to say that you would ask for your particular situation, I'm stating anyone that calls in randomly would get that answer.
To clarify, I am saying I have already called, and got that response, and got a Plat match and enrolled in the EXP challenge.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:03 am

To clarify, I am saying I have already called, and got that response, and got a Plat match and enrolled in the EXP challenge.
Not on the first call right? You were directing send in something and then followed up with someone else, right? Congrats on your situation! Happy that you're with AA!
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:07 am

Not on the first call right? You were directing send in something and then followed up with someone else, right? Congrats on your situation! Happy that you're with AA!
I was not matched on the first call, I was told of it on the first call.

I am happy to be with AA after my nightmare with DL! ^
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:15 am

I was not matched on the first call, I was told of it on the first call.

I am happy to be with AA after my nightmare with DL! ^
Aha! So a mix of stuff. We're both right then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.