Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is obsolete. The 2014 / 2015 status match challenges offered to flyers from United Airlines is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Why do you keep saying it is unconfirmed. I spoke with an AAdvantage Customer Service Supervisor yesterday and she CONFIRMED for me over the phone that those completing the challenge will receive 8 SWUs and those further completing 100k EQMs/EQPs or 100 Segs will ALSO receive another 8 SWUs upon completion of that milestone (as long as it is done in 2011). What else do you need to consider this confirmed?
Hi AAExPlat,

Ok, sounds like good solid info to me. Can you please give me the phone number, by private email if necessary, so I can talk to them? This deal is too good to miss out on and very doable (ExPlat challenge and ExPlat for real) with my flight schedule through end 2011.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:40 am

My gripe is that those flying the challenge have the ability to earn as many as 16 SWUs this year while those of us who are already EXP can only earn 8. And that's on the heels of not getting Elite Rewards this year.

AA is making it clear that bringing in new EXPs is more important than providing an even playing field.

And it goes without saying that if AA is trying to attract high value fliers from other programs, why do these fliers need 16 SWUs to begin with?

As I have mentioned previously, I called an AA CS Supervisor and let her know of my displeasure with this new program and specifically the EQP requirement (low IMO) and the SWU issue.

I am all in favor of bringing high value fliers to the daark side. But offering 16 SWUs for meeting the challenge and making EXP will attract many fliers that are the exact opposite of the ones they want...discount economy buyers willing to run for mileage.

I have done my part by speaking to A yesterday. Have you?
As I noted in the other thread, you have to provide proof of status, and then go through an approval process to even be eligible, so I don't think it's really a bunch of discount economy buyers flooding the program.

I do agree that 16 SWU's would be unfair to existing elites. I am still not sure that is gonna happen, and I will let you know when I cross 100k.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:48 am

My gripe is that those flying the challenge have the ability to earn as many as 16 SWUs this year while those of us who are already EXP can only earn 8. And that's on the heels of not getting Elite Rewards this year.

AA is making it clear that bringing in new EXPs is more important than providing an even playing field.

And it goes without saying that if AA is trying to attract high value fliers from other programs, why do these fliers need 16 SWUs to begin with?

As I have mentioned previously, I called an AA CS Supervisor and let her know of my displeasure with this new program and specifically the EQP requirement (low IMO) and the SWU issue.

I am all in favor of bringing high value fliers to the daark side. But offering 16 SWUs for meeting the challenge and making EXP will attract many fliers that are the exact opposite of the ones they want...discount economy buyers willing to run for mileage.

Hi,

Is there any way as a NB but future ExPlat to earn more than 8 SWUs a year. What happens beyond 100k EQMs/EQPs per year? Do you get another 8 SWUs at say 200k and another 8 at 300k, etc?

Thanks for the info so far, looks like I have a bit to learn about the AA ExPlat and beyond program.

Greg
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I don't have 16 SWU's and AA won't give me a PLT Challenge for free.

There, I griped.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:27 am

Allow me to give you the other side's point of view. I am DM and have been top tier on Delta for the past five years. Before that, I was EP and I am lifetime AA Platinum. If I switch, I give up three months of unlimited free Delta upgrades while only an AA Platinum and the 12 SWU's I have in my Delta account today and 4 more SWU's I will get as I have already requalified for Delta Platinum next year. Seems to me that AA is just trying to minimize my loss if I switch back to them. Seriously, if they didnt the offer would not be attractive.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:08 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Exclamation

Did someone call for clean-up on Aisle 6?

Based on the slew of alerts we've gotten from members (and many thanks to the members who sent in an "Alert this post to a moderator" note instead of "fanning the flames" within the thread), we've had to do some clean-up in the thread to remove some off-topic discussions, personal exchanges, or discussion/speculation on moderation.

As a previous moderator has already posted up-thread:
Originally Posted by JDiver
Please, let's maintain mutual respect and consideration at all times.

AMP/RBP moderators when it appears things may go south, rather than personal and pointed exchanges, personal commentary and speculation about moderation actions.

JDiver, Moderator
Your volunteer moderators are here first and foremost to help and welcome the members of our forum and community. We help make sure that the FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules are followed by all members, and we do what we can to help make this forum a fun and informative environment for everyone. We are not here to censor opinions, but rather here to help promote open and respectful discussion about AA and the AAdvantage program.

A reminder from the "preamble" of the FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules:
Welcome to FlyerTalk.
We want you to get the most from FlyerTalk. While we make every effort to ensure these forums are enjoyable and valuable, the ultimate responsibility rests with those who contribute. As with any community, FlyerTalk's standard of living depends on the goodwill and consideration of its citizens.

The rules are based on respect and good manners. FlyerTalk is a moderated board. Posts that don't comply with our rules will be removed, and members who violate the rules may be suspended or have their memberships revoked. Use common sense and you'll feel right at home.
And a final note: Any further violations of the FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules could result in a warning, suspension of posting privileges, or revocation of membership.

Now back to our regularly-schedule programming. /Moderator
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:18 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Why do you keep saying it is unconfirmed. I spoke with an AAdvantage Customer Service Supervisor yesterday and she CONFIRMED for me over the phone that those completing the challenge will receive 8 SWUs and those further completing 100k EQMs/EQPs or 100 Segs will ALSO receive another 8 SWUs upon completion of that milestone (as long as it is done in 2011). What else do you need to consider this confirmed?
Someone actually receiving 8 + 8 SWUs in this case. That's what it would take for me.

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
Cheerful, or not so much?

<redacted>

In response to those losing ability to use current swus, that's unfortunately one of the risks that one takes when switching carriers. I have no problem with the challenge- my problem lies solely in the fact that EXP challenge qualifiers will receive SWUs for doing so. I would not expect any other carrier to grant me full benefits (including swus) simply due to completion of a challenge. Others have actually met the requirements by normal means and should reap the benefits of doing so.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 5, 2011 at 8:43 pm Reason: redacted deleted post content and lecture
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
As I noted in the other thread, you have to provide proof of status, and then go through an approval process to even be eligible, so I don't think it's really a bunch of discount economy buyers flooding the program.

I do agree that 16 SWU's would be unfair to existing elites. I am still not sure that is gonna happen, and I will let you know when I cross 100k.
Proof of status means faxing them your 1k card and/or statement, right? And I have yet to hear from anyone who has been denied this challenge as a UK 1k?GS or DL DM. And in the absence of denials, I believe that a good number of mileage running 1ks will attempt to complete this challenge. Probably not enough to encroach on our benefits in a measurable way, but it's about the principle for me.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by gregwatson
Hi,

Is there any way as a NB but future ExPlat to earn more than 8 SWUs a year. What happens beyond 100k EQMs/EQPs per year? Do you get another 8 SWUs at say 200k and another 8 at 300k, etc?

Thanks for the info so far, looks like I have a bit to learn about the AA ExPlat and beyond program.

Greg
There is. It is not a published benefit, but you can ask. Some have reported success with 150k EQPs and higher. Apparently, flying premium class fares also helps.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Fanjet
There is a Gold (as well as a Plat) challenge. I believe the Plat challenge costs $200 upfront and you have to earn 10K EQPs in the 90-day period, whereas, the Gold requires 5K EQPs.

I'm wondering how many UA 1Ks and DL Diamonds would take them up on this offer since the 25K EQMs would basically require them to fly in coach for that qualification period if they don't purchase e500's (at $30 a pop) or an outright first/business class fare. Then there's the fees and taxes ($500 +) to book an AAward on BA in business or first (Y is about $100 cheaper). Now that's an incentive to rack up them miles!!
I haven't seen quite the same question in this thread, but if anybody knows, I'd appreciate your feedback:

I am currently Gold (last two years almost all personal and not business. I'm back in the business-travel mode, and it looks like I will ultimately make Platinum this year. Is there a way to short-circuit the process with a Challenge? Is it worth doing?

thanks,

Jeff
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some have reported success with 150k EQPs and higher.
The emphasis here is on EQPs. High EQMs, in an of themselves, don't help. It's the EQP (and ratio) that seem to matter in this case. Basically, this is one place where higher revenue fliers get some favored treatment relative to the bottom-dweller EXPs qualifying on EQM (myself included ).

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by OlderGeek
Allow me to give you the other side's point of view. I am DM and have been top tier on Delta for the past five years. Before that, I was EP and I am lifetime AA Platinum. If I switch, I give up three months of unlimited free Delta upgrades while only an AA Platinum and the 12 SWU's I have in my Delta account today and 4 more SWU's I will get as I have already requalified for Delta Platinum next year. Seems to me that AA is just trying to minimize my loss if I switch back to them. Seriously, if they didnt the offer would not be attractive.
I already did the math for you guys that the challenge can be completed with a single J trip to Asia. Once completed, you get 8 SWUs, don't have to sit in the back of the plane for a single flight, and get 8 more SWUs when you cross the regular threshold before year's end. And all that can be had for less than $6k (using the Asia J trip) or for about 2 MR trips domestically if you route them correctly. Hardly very much of a sacrifice for a challenger IMO.

And your DL SWUs are nothing like the SWUs that you would get from AA since those are good on ALL fare classes...so no having to buy a higher fareclass only to waste that money if the upgrade request doesn't go through...
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffhacker
I haven't seen quite the same question in this thread, but if anybody knows, I'd appreciate your feedback:

I am currently Gold (last two years almost all personal and not business. I'm back in the business-travel mode, and it looks like I will ultimately make Platinum this year. Is there a way to short-circuit the process with a Challenge? Is it worth doing?

thanks,

Jeff
You may want to check the FAQ at the top of the page (where is says "please check here first") on the subject of challenges for Platinum as that is unrelated to this current thread, but well-covered there.

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by gregwatson
Interesting as it is not that easy when flying to and from and around Australia. AA has much better $/SC than Australians flying with Qantas as you have shown. Trust me getting Platinum flying with Qantas and their fair structure is not that easy but your example is VERY interesting.

Just checked and the Qantas web site (AU and US) will not let me book Nyc/Lax rtn or 1 way or the other way even through QF does fly Nyc/Lax. Also the QF points calculator will not show Lax/Nyc SCs.

Syd/Lax/Syd on QF will earn 180 QF SCs and cost $4,185 per deep discount Premium Economy trip. That is 7 trips at $29,295 to get 1,260 SCs and maintain QF Platinum (OW Emerald, AA Exec Platinum). Not cheap.

Thanks for that feedback,
Greg
Booked at aa.com, Y-up fare (usually P or I fare) qualifies as F or C fare in calculation of Status Credits.

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...rican-airlines

Note: it's not effective to book JFK-LAX, it's more effective to book for JFK-LAS via ORD or DFW (420 SC rt), i.e don't do direct JFK-LAS (240 SC rt).

Easy to achieve the LT status as well. 14000 SC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.