Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is obsolete. The 2014 / 2015 status match challenges offered to flyers from United Airlines is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
It's easy as 1, 2, 3, 4.

(1) Call American Airlines on +1 8004337300, assuming you are a top tier elite in a competing airline. AA general reservations line is open 24 hours; however Customer Service and Executive Offices have limited opening hours. Ask to be transferred to either AAdvantage Customer Service or AA Executive Offices. Explain that you are seeking Executive Platinum Challenge/Exception. (Total time: 5-10mins)

(2) Wait to receive an e-mail requesting a copy of either your current elite card or online activity statement. (0 Wait time. E-mail is sent instantly whilst you are on the phone with AA Customer Service).

(3) Send the requested info by e-mail/fax. (1-2 mins or longer if you need)

(4) Wait to receive a phone call from someone from the AA Executive Offices and welcome you to the program. You will be offered instant Platinum status and asked to choose when you would like your EXP challenge period to start. (1-5 business days)

It is really that simple! And best of all it is FREE!
Hey CheerFulFlyer,

Called the number and all I got was a voice response system that has not led me to get in contact with the EXP Platinum desk or a living person that can help. What is your suggested voice key words pathway, that you used, to get through this system to get where I need to be? I'm QF WP and have a RTW trip with 30k miles to make in a month or so and I would like to get on this program.

Thanks,
Greg
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
No SWUS please??

If one completing the challenge receives 8 swus and then 8 more at the conclusion of the year (all expiring 2013) that seems like alienation of AA's EXP base. All current EXPs will be competing against newly minted EXPs with double SWUs, which I would assume they'd use as an upgrade instrument (even on transcontinentals- as UA requires confirmed regional upgrades for these right now). I suppose we should all try to use all of our SWUs before these new EXPs get their SWUs deposited. Booking rest of my travel for the year right now! Hopefully, AA just provides status and no SWUs.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by gregwatson
What is your suggested voice key words pathway, that you used, to get through this system to get where I need to be? I'm QF WP and have a RTW trip with 30k miles to make in a month or so and I would like to get on this program.
I am sorry Greg but as I said earlier you are simply not eligible for this offer.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:58 pm

I am sorry Greg but as I said earlier you are simply not eligible for this offer.
What I'm not allowed to ask? BTW I earn many more SCs with QF than I get value for and have signed up with AAdvantage. Should easily renew QF WP and get AA Exp P in the next 6 months. Of course a fast path would be nice.

Greg
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gizmodell
If one completing the challenge receives 8 swus and then 8 more at the conclusion of the year (all expiring 2013) that seems like alienation of AA's EXP base. All current EXPs will be competing against newly minted EXPs with double SWUs, which I would assume they'd use as an upgrade instrument (even on transcontinentals- as UA requires confirmed regional upgrades for these right now). I suppose we should all try to use all of our SWUs before these new EXPs get their SWUs deposited. Booking rest of my travel for the year right now! Hopefully, AA just provides status and no SWUs.
They don't necessarily get 8 more at the end of the year. If they earn EXP the hard way anytime this year, they will get 8 more. That could be much sooner than the end of the year. That said, if they don't earn EXP the hard way this year, they will not get anymore SWUs but will be able to requalify in 2012 for status through 2/2014 and if requalified in 2012, they'll get 8 more SWUs then.

That said, I agree with you in general. When I matched to DL Plat from CO Plat a while back, DL did not provide me with EliteChoice. That has to be earned.

I called AAdvantage Customer Service and Executive offices today to express my concern over the potentially inexpensive nature of the EXP challenge, and the potential amount of SWUs handed out, all relative to what existing EXPs are furnished in the same time frame.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
Originally Posted by AAExPlat

I called AAdvantage Customer Service and Executive offices today to express my concern over the potentially inexpensive nature of the EXP challenge, and the potential amount of SWUs handed out, all relative to what existing EXPs are furnished in the same time frame.
Just curious, did AA have a response or was it merely "Sorry that you feel that way" ?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
<deleted post>
From every mountainside!

Again, I'd argue that such discussion is not only relevant but critical to this topic. Although the value different people place on SWUs varies wildly, "typical" valuations run in the few-hundred-dollars-apiece range. 8 SWUs are therefore worth a few thousand dollars. The time at which one receives these, and whether it's 8 or 16, will drastically change the optimal strategy for completing the EXP challenge/exception. Because of this, I'd recommend AGAINST enrolling in this challenge until this point is cleared up.

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 3, 2011 at 9:16 am Reason: redacted deleted post
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I'm going to be the contrarian and side with the OP here. While the OP doesn't get to dictate who can say what, he has made his goals for this thread quite clear and his wishes deserve some respect. All the posts about SWUs by current AA elites, who are not eligible for the challenge anyway, contribute nothing but noise that people seeking useful information must wade through.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
I was offered an EXP challenge back in 2007 after a long chat with AA Executive Office. Same 25k EQP requirement. I was AA PLT and not coming over as an elite from another carrier.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:53 pm

This thread will welcome gripes on elite status challenges offered by AA. It is hoped that this space will provide a forum for some to express and unload their anger, disappointment, dislike, hatred, frustration or maybe even love for the program. Have fun!
So lets get this right. A QF WP (OW Emerald or AA Exec Platinum equivalent) can enter the AA Gold and AA Platinum Challenges but not the AA Exec Platinum Challenge? Care to explain why as you seen to be running these programs on this forum for AA? I highly suspect AA would like to get the MONEY that a QF WP spends a year on earning 4,000 QF SCs (1,200 QF SCs needed yearly to maintain QF WP) as it is harder to get QF WP than AA Exec Platinum.

Greg
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by gregwatson
as it is harder to get QF WP than AA Exec Platinum.
To certain degree, I disagree. Three rt NYC-LAX-LAS in Y-Up fare, will earn you WP in QF. Total cost around $3900. It's not the best deal, but easy enough to achieve WP in QF, at least money and time wise (just for the status)

I ALWAYS think QF status is the easiest to achieve and maintian.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:16 am

[redacted deleted quote]

Sent the following email to AAvantage Customer Service:

===========
Hi Guys,

I'm a Qantas Platinum FF who earns way more in QF SCs than what I need to maintain QF Platinum. I recently became aware your program offers ongoing benefits to high mileage flyers & joined AAdvantage. After some research I discovered the Platinum Challenge & was looking to take that up on my next RTW trip in a month or so to fast track me to Platinum, then Exec Platinum & beyond. I then noticed this thread of a Exec Platinum Challenge on a FF discussion forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html

in which my upcoming RTW trip would give me around 30,000 base miles & enable me to qualify for Exec Platinum. However the originator of the thread, a CheerFulFlyer, is making a lot of strong statements about this program as if he is running it for AA & saying that Qantas Platinums are not welcome to participate. I find that a strange statement as the other 2 Challenger are open to Qantas Platinums.

Can you please reply & let me know if the Exec Platinum Challenge is real, if Qantas Platinums can take the challenge & if the statements this guy is making about your Exec Platinum Challenge are being made with your knowledge & consent.

BTW I earn around 4,000 QF SCs a year, with 1,200 SCs being needed to maintain my Platinum status & spend around $150k - $200k a year on travel.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Watson

Last edited by magic111; Mar 3, 2011 at 10:12 am
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
To certain degree, I disagree. Three rt NYC-LAX-LAS in Y-Up fare, will earn you WP in QF. Total cost around $3900. It's not the best deal, but easy enough to achieve WP in QF, at least money and time wise (just for the status)

I ALWAYS think QF status is the easiest to achieve and maintian.
Interesting as it is not that easy when flying to and from and around Australia. AA has much better $/SC than Australians flying with Qantas as you have shown. Trust me getting Platinum flying with Qantas and their fair structure is not that easy but your example is VERY interesting.

Just checked and the Qantas web site (AU and US) will not let me book Nyc/Lax rtn or 1 way or the other way even through QF does fly Nyc/Lax. Also the QF points calculator will not show Lax/Nyc SCs.

Syd/Lax/Syd on QF will earn 180 QF SCs and cost $4,185 per deep discount Premium Economy trip. That is 7 trips at $29,295 to get 1,260 SCs and maintain QF Platinum (OW Emerald, AA Exec Platinum). Not cheap.

Thanks for that feedback,
Greg

Last edited by gregwatson; Mar 3, 2011 at 1:47 am
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:19 am

Your opinion doesn't have any rational weight.

Offer of 8 SWUs or not is unconfirmed. That is all we can reasonably say. What current EXPs think about the EXP challenge or the perks thereof does NOTHING for someone wanting to do and successfully complete this challenge. Let that ring loud and clear. @:-)
Why do you keep saying it is unconfirmed. I spoke with an AAdvantage Customer Service Supervisor yesterday and she CONFIRMED for me over the phone that those completing the challenge will receive 8 SWUs and those further completing 100k EQMs/EQPs or 100 Segs will ALSO receive another 8 SWUs upon completion of that milestone (as long as it is done in 2011). What else do you need to consider this confirmed?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:31 am

My gripe is that those flying the challenge have the ability to earn as many as 16 SWUs this year while those of us who are already EXP can only earn 8. And that's on the heels of not getting Elite Rewards this year.

AA is making it clear that bringing in new EXPs is more important than providing an even playing field.

And it goes without saying that if AA is trying to attract high value fliers from other programs, why do these fliers need 16 SWUs to begin with?

As I have mentioned previously, I called an AA CS Supervisor and let her know of my displeasure with this new program and specifically the EQP requirement (low IMO) and the SWU issue.

I am all in favor of bringing high value fliers to the daark side. But offering 16 SWUs for meeting the challenge and making EXP will attract many fliers that are the exact opposite of the ones they want...discount economy buyers willing to run for mileage.

I have done my part by speaking to A yesterday. Have you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.