Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brownie20
hmm that's odd we opened 2 accts using the CYFM code. CMEB should work too tho - i received an email offer with that code as well, valid until 2/28.
Same here - two accounts using CYFM. Got debit cards today, about one week after applying online.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:28 pm

Two quick questions

1) Is it still the consensus that the CYFM promo will not generate a 1099?

2) Does anyone know there will be a hard pull for NJ residents?

thanks
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by flew-d-coop
I never received a 1099 for the promo I did last year.

there is never a hard pull for opening a checking account since you are not applying for credit.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by flyerfrog

there is never a hard pull for opening a checking account since you are not applying for credit.
Not from Citibank. But never say never. In my quest for accounts that allow funding by cc, I ended up getting a couple of hard pulls for opening checking accounts by other institutions.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by flyerfrog
I never received a 1099 for the promo I did last year.
Which level did you have? You should not have been 1099'd if your miles were below 30k. Also, it depends on when you received the bonus. If it was early this year, you will not see the 1099 until 2014.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:49 pm

thanks
No hard pull, confirmed with CSR this morning.

No 1099 as per the CSR, either.

Gonna see if I can sign the SO up with an account without an AA credit card.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:12 pm

I haven't really seen the answer to this ( I searched ). Has anyone been able to do this more than once? Is there a time that the account must be closed before applying again. Sorry for the stupid question if it's been answered before...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:08 am

Should debit card purchase be pin or signature based?

I've been searching through this thread to figure out whether the debit card purchase for promo CYFM needs to be pin based or signature based (use the debit card as a credit card) and there does not seem to be a consistent answer. Some said they used MO at wallyworld while other stated they were told by a rep it needed to be treated as a credit card. These answers conflict as wallyworld, usually, requires a pin for a MO.

Does anyone want to share there experience - especially if they were denied the bonus due to the wrong selection of pin/signature transactions.

Here is the offer.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:23 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Went to a citibank branch today. I counted 5 people "working" there -- not one customer other than me during the entire time I was there. I had printed out the email with the 10-digit alpha-numeric code (which I assume is unique?) with all the offer details. The agent could not figure out how to open an account with this offer. She tried calling the number on the offer and could not get much help from them. Then she called someone else (internal support?) and they walked her through the steps, but I guess the system was not allowing her to do it or something. After trying for 30 minutes, finally she suggested it might be better for me to do it online to make sure I get this offer without issues. I am glad she didn't try to just give me something else, but it was in the end a waste of time. Anyone else have had this kind of an issue?

BTW, if I try to open the account online, it is offering me to make initial deposit using a credit card. I have read other threads that caution you from using Citi or Chase credit cards as they will code as cash advance. How about BoA or BoH? Anyone tried this for initial deposit? I will only do $1000. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by c2d
BTW, if I try to open the account online, it is offering me to make initial deposit using a credit card. I have read other threads that caution you from using Citi or Chase credit cards as they will code as cash advance. How about BoA or BoH? Anyone tried this for initial deposit? I will only do $1000. Thanks in advance.
chase is good, citi will treat as cash advance
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:21 am

CITI is taking FOREVER to send me my PIN and checks. I've had my debit card for 2 weeks and the account open for a month and still haven't received them. Every time I call they say "it should be there within 1-2 days, call back if it isn't". Of course I do and get the same answer.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:08 am
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
chase is good, citi will treat as cash advance
Thanks ma91pmh. Will use Chase then (unless someone can chime in on BoA/BoH as I need to meet minimum spend on those cards).
Originally Posted by tys90
CITI is taking FOREVER to send me my PIN and checks. I've had my debit card for 2 weeks and the account open for a month and still haven't received them. Every time I call they say "it should be there within 1-2 days, call back if it isn't". Of course I do and get the same answer.
This is why I went to the branch, hoping I can avoid waiting for debit card, pin etc. How did you open your account -- online, phone or branch?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by c2d
This is why I went to the branch, hoping I can avoid waiting for debit card, pin etc. How did you open your account -- online, phone or branch?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:20 am

I've been searching through this thread to figure out whether the debit card purchase for promo CYFM needs to be pin based or signature based (use the debit card as a credit card) and there does not seem to be a consistent answer. Some said they used MO at wallyworld while other stated they were told by a rep it needed to be treated as a credit card. These answers conflict as wallyworld, usually, requires a pin for a MO.

Does anyone want to share there experience - especially if they were denied the bonus due to the wrong selection of pin/signature transactions.

Here is the offer.
Anyone???

Does debit card purchase needs to be pin based or signature based?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by tys90
I think you can still get going on the spend requirement even without a PIN. Just use it like a CC.

BTW, I experienced the same problems when I did this the first time around. I called to inquire about my debit card after waiting two weeks, and they said I didn't request one. ...? They overnighted it to me, and then overnighted the PIN two days later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.