Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:23 am

Quick question--

When paying for the $375 debit card spend (for 15K AA miles), I would think that I have to make PIN-based transactions (debit purchases). But a rep from Citi said that I have to use the ATM card like a credit card (no PIN). Will either work? CAn someone clarify this?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:44 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by brownie20
Thanks! So you can earn the 30k AA sign on bonus and then 1200 TYP/month with some small transactions?
Yes. 1300, actually, without needing any lines or loans. More with them.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
If I open a joint account under a promo, will my wife be excluded from the same offer if she wanted to open an account too?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:14 am

Paypal does count as a direct deposit, correct?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: United 1K
I received this offer via email and have a few Citi credit cards. I had to go to my local branch to open it because I am self employed and cannot do the direct deposit. My local branch allowed me to qualify for the Gold card without 50k in deposits, but I have to pay the $30 a month fee instead. They also waived the direct deposit requirement if I kept 2K in the account over and above the $750 I have to spend to qualify. I don't know anything about the 1099, but I sure hope I don't get one.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Originally Posted by josephstern
That, plus the pain of dealing with Citi, plus the chance that they would disqualify me as having done it before, plus the pain of canceling the account down the road.

Even with all of that, it's tempting, but I'm trying to be strong here.
+1 - glad to be among the company of like-minded!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussions started by ssoonngg123 on September 19 and ratnasam on September 20 have been merged into this existing thread where a 30,000 miles offer has been under discussion since mentioned by Mrgolfer21 on September 12. Scroll back to post 557 to begin reading. It's a little choppy because the three overlapping conversations are displayed in strict chronological order.

Thread title has been edited to remove mention of the number of miles because that element varies, but the fundamentals of the offer are substantially similar.

Last edited by mia; Sep 26, 2012 at 2:46 pm
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by aragno
If I open a joint account under a promo, will my wife be excluded from the same offer if she wanted to open an account too?
No, as long as you're the primary signer.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:42 pm

think i'll wait until next february for confirmation on no 1099s before jumping in.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raj_cl
+1 - glad to be among the company of like-minded!
Yeah, well, I wasn't so strong, after all.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:52 pm
Used to be highman123

One more thing to note - if you had a checking account and got a bonus in the last 2 years for opening that account you are not eligible as well...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:42 am

Here's the terms of the offer I just completed for 30,000 miles:
Open a qualified Regular Checking account by 8/31/2012.Within 60 days after account opening, complete both of the following qualifying activities:
1. One or more direct deposits for 2 consecutive calendar months AND
2. Spend the required minimum amount on purchases using your Citibank Debit Card*
I opened a Citigold account. Does "qualified Regular Checking account" mean I have to deposit the minimum $50,000? I won't come anywhere close to that. I know I'll be charged a $30 monthly fee after a few months, but I'm fine with that. I just don't want to miss out on the 30,000 miles because the account wasn't qualified.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by CalGuy
Here's the terms of the offer I just completed for 30,000 miles:
Open a qualified Regular Checking account by 8/31/2012.Within 60 days after account opening, complete both of the following qualifying activities:
1. One or more direct deposits for 2 consecutive calendar months AND
2. Spend the required minimum amount on purchases using your Citibank Debit Card*
I opened a Citigold account. Does "qualified Regular Checking account" mean I have to deposit the minimum $50,000? I won't come anywhere close to that. I know I'll be charged a $30 monthly fee after a few months, but I'm fine with that. I just don't want to miss out on the 30,000 miles because the account wasn't qualified.
You don't have to meet the minimum deposit amount for a fee waiver on the account. This isn't a requirement for the bonus.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Originally Posted by therivler1
think i'll wait until next february for confirmation on no 1099s before jumping in.
+1 can't believe people are willing to pull the trigger knowing there's a risk of 1099 issuance!

I for one can't wait to see the 1099 thread again being revived next year - it's good to read that thread academically, knowing that you haven't been issued a 1099
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:28 pm

I read somewhere that Citi only issues 1099 for "value" of over $500. I believe each point is valued at 2.5c, so 15K AA points (which is what I signed up for) is only worth $375

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.