Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Check in online (OLCI) for an international and/or a mixed carrier itinerary

OLCI may be inhibited for flights over 24 hours out.

OLCI may be inhibited for final destinations you must have a visa for.

OLCI may be inhibited by some other destinations, even when a visa is not necessary, e.g. Hong Kong.

OLCI may be inhibited when you have a mixed carrier itinerary or codeshare.

OLCI is not available at all airports.
Print Wikipost

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by makfan
I flew for years with no problem and then early last year started having trouble with online and kiosk check-in. I had a close match (most likely explanation) and had to file for a redress number. It took about 2 months to figure out that it wasn't going to correct itself and another two months to go through the redress process. I have not had a problem with any airline since I got the letter from the TSA that really didn't say whether anything had been done.
Same thing happened to me. Guess what--all of my problems started when the TSA took over the process of vetting passenger manifests against the watch lists in December. I was talking to an elite behind me in line at the airport on my last trip and he said the same thing happened to him.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I'm having the same problem for an international trip tomorrow... I spoke with an aa.com agent and she said they are having a number of technical issues with the check in process. Also had a hard time adding my passport # and country of residency. She said they are working on it. As of now I still cannot check in online.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by goldengate
I'm having the same problem for an international trip tomorrow... I spoke with an aa.com agent and she said they are having a number of technical issues with the check in process. Also had a hard time adding my passport # and country of residency. She said they are working on it. As of now I still cannot check in online.
Yep, had same problems.

To update as OP:
Good morning from Frankfurt Hbf. Checked-in using kiosk at Dulles and had no problems. Spit the bp's right out and no extra security or anything, looks like AA just wanted to be more DL w website
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
One other thing. If you have an upgrade request that hasn't cleared (eVIP, Mileage, etc), that will apparently keep you from checking in online for the international sector. I've run across this recently on trips to FCO and MAD.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
One other thing. If you have an upgrade request that hasn't cleared (eVIP, Mileage, etc), that will apparently keep you from checking in online for the international sector. I've run across this recently on trips to FCO and MAD.
Fyi i checked in online with a pending swu request without issue last summer ord-lhr.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: AA PLT
Deleted previous response - the actual oddity was that the iphone app made me check in via the web, presumably so that I could be pitched to buy extra miles?

And then it wouldn't spit out a boarding pass > "Boarding pass is not available for this itinerary...go to airport. Etc."

Last edited by toast24; Feb 13, 2011 at 11:34 am Reason: clarification
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by sica4
Fyi i checked in online with a pending swu request without issue last summer ord-lhr.
OUtbound may or may not be an issue. Inbound is/was for me. Two of us traveling on separate but identical itineraries - my non-status traveling companion had been upgraded using my VIPs at booking (as was my outbound). My return was waitlisted.

We could (and did) check my companion in online for the return, but nada for me.

Had a similar issue on a trip to FCO in October. In that case, the upgrade cleared 6 hours before departure, but left me with no means to check-in.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
i don't get what the hub bub is about. I can't ever check in online. It only applies for travel within the 50 states and puerto rico, nothing else.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
The same thing happened to me yesterday, perhaps for the first reason you give as I paid for my ticket online less than 12 hours before the flight and couldn't check in online.

I used the kiosk to check in. There was no difference in my security screening once I arrived at the airport.

Originally Posted by ESpen36
There are various triggers that COULD prevent the OP from checking in online.

Here are some:

- itinerary ticketed very close to departure date
- one-way itinerary
- passport issued by one of five "unfriendly" countries as designated by DoS (see this)
- inconsistencies in SecureFlight or passport data entered into the PNR
- potential name matches to one or more of the watch lists (targeted SSSS)
- random SSSS (yes, it still does happen, though much less frequently than before)

If I had to guess, I would say that in this case, it is the one-way itinerary + international destination. Some airlines program their systems to prevent/reduce flagging for elite frequent flyers traveling on one-way tickets, but the OP does not indicate any elite status.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:41 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by PlateMan
I have a flight tomorrow IAD-DFW-FRA. It's an award one-way ticket.

I am trying to check-in online as the DFW-FRA sector is oversold. I enter all my information but get this error message: "We are unable to check you in. Please check in at the airport with an agent."

Any one have any ideas what's up? Both reservations and two people at web services say everything looks fine on their end, so they are just as clueless as me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

This thread has now been merged into the existing thread on international OLCI problems, found by Searching "international checkin". Please share your experiences and review those of others here.

/Moderator
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
When I've tried to check in for my last few international flights through the e-mail I received, I got an error message. But by logging onto AA.com and then clicking through to my reservation I was able to check in without issue.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by CRAZYBUBBA
i don't get what the hub bub is about. I can't ever check in online. It only applies for travel within the 50 states and puerto rico, nothing else.
This is incorrect. Per AA's website, the three criteria for Online Flight Check-In are:

1. Tickets must be issued electronically to be eligible for Online Flight Check-In.
  2. The first flight of the itinerary for which a customer is checking in must be operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection, British Airways or Iberia.
  3. Additionally, international customers must meet international flight requirements.
If your destination requires a visa for your citizenship other than some VOA destinations you will likely not be able to do online check-in.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had the same issue with AA.com OLCI telling me "We are unable to check you in. Please check in at the airport with an agent." on international segments twice, one on 12FEB and one on 14FEB. These were plain-vanilla SWUd flights with no connections and on the same PNR, with all the required documentation already entered.

Both times I ignored the "with an agent" bit, went to a check-in kiosk at the airport, entered my AAdvantage number to pull up my reservation, and both times the kiosk spit out a boarding pass without any further questions/need for information/scanning of documents etc.

YAAA.comB (Yet another AA.com bug). I thought about reporting it, but given how customer-led improvements to AA.com have always been ignored over the years, I didn't bother with it. Sooner or later an AA VP will be the victim of this bug and something will be done about it.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider

YAAA.comB (Yet another AA.com bug). I thought about reporting it, but given how customer-led improvements to AA.com have always been ignored over the years, I didn't bother with it. Sooner or later an AA VP will be the victim of this bug and something will be done about it.
I had this happen yesterday, and I did call web services. Had an interesting conversation with the agent. He was very apologetic, and said that the development team have not given them debugging steps for this message yet. He said that they are supposed to log the cases where it fails so that they can analyze.

I applaud them for at least trying to do the right thing, but it's been out several months now- I'm sure that they should have a wealth of failures to analyze by now.

I guess it's good that they think they're working on it, and I appreciate the candor, and sincere apology of the agent. Maybe by 2012

Cheers.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
OUtbound may or may not be an issue. Inbound is/was for me. Two of us traveling on separate but identical itineraries - my non-status traveling companion had been upgraded using my VIPs at booking (as was my outbound). My return was waitlisted.

We could (and did) check my companion in online for the return, but nada for me.

Had a similar issue on a trip to FCO in October. In that case, the upgrade cleared 6 hours before departure, but left me with no means to check-in.
I'm having the same issue for a flight from MAD to DFW. It's within 24 hours, however me and a companion are waitlisted using VIPs. I spoke with an AA.com who told me that since we are waitlisted on on the upgrades from MAD to DFW that we can not check in online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.