Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Check in online (OLCI) for an international and/or a mixed carrier itinerary

OLCI may be inhibited for flights over 24 hours out.

OLCI may be inhibited for final destinations you must have a visa for.

OLCI may be inhibited by some other destinations, even when a visa is not necessary, e.g. Hong Kong.

OLCI may be inhibited when you have a mixed carrier itinerary or codeshare.

OLCI is not available at all airports.
Print Wikipost

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by glenny84
I'm having the same issue for a flight from MAD to DFW. It's within 24 hours, however me and a companion are waitlisted using VIPs. I spoke with an AA.com who told me that since we are waitlisted on on the upgrades from MAD to DFW that we can not check in online.
I once had this problem when returning from the US and spoke to aa.com web services, who removed the wait listed SWU while I was on the phone, let me check in, then restored it.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by nbevan
I once had this problem when returning from the US and spoke to aa.com web services, who removed the wait listed SWU while I was on the phone, let me check in, then restored it.
This is covered in the Upgrades/EVIP thread, but I just wanted to make sure that am I correct in assuming that within 24 hours, EVIP priority is based on check-in time and NOT when the upgrade was requested?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by glenny84
This is covered in the Upgrades/EVIP thread, but I just wanted to make sure that am I correct in assuming that within 24 hours, EVIP priority is based on check-in time and NOT when the upgrade was requested?
Yes: hence the benefit of checking in as early as possible ...
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:55 am

Crappy Online Check-In

Trying to check in for LGA-YUL tomorrow:
-reservation page shows : "Ready for Check-in" with a nice green tickmark.

- Click on Check-In: "We are unable to check you in. Please check in at the airport with an agent" in bright red with an exclamation mark. Of course no reason given.

Clowns... I've checked in a million times for international flights with other airlines eg CO, DL...

Is it because it is international? I have a European passport and a green card.

If it is the case I despise the incompetence and lack of consideration for foreign passengers of AA.

Last edited by af fp; Apr 8, 2011 at 8:24 am Reason: "milion" corrected thanks to SFO 777
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
I find it very hit and miss myself. Sometimes it let's me, sometimes it doesn't.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by af fp
Trying to check in for LGA-YUL tomorrow:
-reservation page shows : "Ready for Check-in" with a nice green tickmark.

- Click on Check-In: "We are unable to check you in. Please check in at the airport with an agent" in bright red with an exclamation mark. Of course no reason given.

Clowns... I've checked in a milion times for international flights with other airlines eg CO, DL...

Is it because it is international? I have a European passport and a green card.

If it is the case I despise the incompetence and lack of consideration for foreign passengers of AA.

Could be one or more of many reasons. I suspect it might be foreign travel with Eagle segments.

In my experience, Eagle always requires an in-person agent check of travel documents at the ticket counter or gate. It's an extra step that AA mainline does not require. As a result, it's possible that Eagle has chosen to block OLCI on your international flight in order to channel more pax toward airport/agent check-in, where this mandatory document check will happen at ticket counters instead of tying up gate agents right before boarding. Just a hypothesis.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
While you may want to do OLCI for a variety of reasons, at LGA you SHOULD NOT do a mobile boarding pass. Yesterday was the second time where the airport was crazy busy, and they took the scanners away for battery replacement and didn't bring them back for over an hour. Many people, including a few colleagues flying with me, almost missed their flights because they had to go back to the counters to get paper tickets before going back through TSA. Be warned...
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
... I've checked in a milion times for international flights with other airlines eg CO, DL.
A million (or even a milion) international flights?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I had issues only when trying to reprint my boarding pass from say...LHR, because of a connecting Eagle flight, which was less than 24 hrs. Otherwise, I've used it almost everytime.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
A million (or even a milion) international flights?
... or enough so that in the 21st century I expect OLCI to work as it is a precious time saver... (typo corrected, thanks).

:-)
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
... or enough so that in the 21st century I expect OLCI to work as it is a precious time saver... (typo corrected, thanks).

:-)
AA were (very) late to the game with allowing international OLCI at all. It is still very buggy. Sometimes works, other times not...without much reason.

I had an issue in February and called the web services people. At the time I was told that they had not been given any guidance on how to fix the issue- they were just to gather the cases for development to work on. This was many months after introduction.

So, yeah, I'm glad that they finally have it...but I really wish they'd make it actually work on a consistent basis.

Cheers.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:54 am

I am just trying to figure out how this shows a lack of consideration for foreign passengers?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
I am just trying to figure out how this shows a lack of consideration for foreign passengers?
More foreign passengers on international flights, and they are not taken care of...
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:23 am

More foreign passengers on international flights, and they are not taken care of...
How are they not taken care of? OLCI problems happen to us all, regardless of nationality.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
How are they not taken care of? OLCI problems happen to us all, regardless of nationality.
Are you sure? I have seen cases on other airlines where being able to check in or not depended on nationality/resident status because the airline had not been able to clear security issues online, although it very well knew how to clear those at the counter.

As was said earlier, AA is very late in this game, they could be more focussed on client service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.