Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Check in online (OLCI) for an international and/or a mixed carrier itinerary

OLCI may be inhibited for flights over 24 hours out.

OLCI may be inhibited for final destinations you must have a visa for.

OLCI may be inhibited by some other destinations, even when a visa is not necessary, e.g. Hong Kong.

OLCI may be inhibited when you have a mixed carrier itinerary or codeshare.

OLCI is not available at all airports.
Print Wikipost

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dia1
That's good news! I sure hope this represents a general change in policy/procedure for all pending upgrade requests.
I'm not sure if it is a change or if there are other factors involved as I was able to OLCI for a flight with an SWU pending in November with no problems.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:39 pm

Cannot Check In Online

I have a flight tomorrow IAD-DFW-FRA. It's an award one-way ticket.

I am trying to check-in online as the DFW-FRA sector is oversold. I enter all my information but get this error message: "We are unable to check you in. Please check in at the airport with an agent."

Any one have any ideas what's up? Both reservations and two people at web services say everything looks fine on their end, so they are just as clueless as me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

Last edited by PlateMan; Feb 11, 2011 at 5:45 pm
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Possible your BP could be tagged with SSSS. Which means they need to perform extra verification before providing you with a boarding pass. When you check-in at the airport, see if those letters are on your BP.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:48 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PlateMan
I have a flight tomorrow IAD-DFW-FRA. It's an award one-way ticket.

I am trying to check-in online as the DFW-FRA sector is oversold. I enter all my information but get this error message: "We are unable to check you in. Please check in at the airport with an agent."
Just curious how you know the flight is oversold? Just checked ExpertFlyer and it appears that AA is still selling seats in F, J, and Y for AA 70 tomorrow.

Do you have a seat assignment for all your legs? I could be wrong, but I recall that if you don't have seat assignment, you won't be able to check-in online? (I'm sure members will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
Just curious how you know the flight is oversold? Just checked ExpertFlyer and it appears that AA is still selling seats in F, J, and Y for AA 70 tomorrow.

Do you have a seat assignment for all your legs? I could be wrong, but I recall that if you don't have seat assignment, you won't be able to check-in online? (I'm sure members will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.)
Sorry, that was speculation on the oversold part, showing no seats avail. I do have seats reserved on both legs.

Web services said also seems likely to be b.c. of extra security screening. Wouldn't surprise me as its a one-way international flight (due to award bookings). I'll leave a good 1.5-2 hrs at Dulles tomorrow.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by PlateMan
Sorry, that was speculation on the oversold part, showing no seats avail. I do have seats reserved on both legs.

Web services said also seems likely to be b.c. of extra security screening. Wouldn't surprise me as its a one-way international flight (due to award bookings). I'll leave a good 1.5-2 hrs at Dulles tomorrow.
I hope it isn't due to a one way international flight booking.
There is no security risk difference between someone with a one way ticket than someone with a one way ticket. If terrorists are trying to save money on an international ticket, round trips usually cost less. I don't think a one way award ticket is going to be an issue that would increase security screening.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
There are various triggers that COULD prevent the OP from checking in online.

Here are some:

- itinerary ticketed very close to departure date
- one-way itinerary
- passport issued by one of five "unfriendly" countries as designated by DoS (see this)
- inconsistencies in SecureFlight or passport data entered into the PNR
- potential name matches to one or more of the watch lists (targeted SSSS)
- random SSSS (yes, it still does happen, though much less frequently than before)

If I had to guess, I would say that in this case, it is the one-way itinerary + international destination. Some airlines program their systems to prevent/reduce flagging for elite frequent flyers traveling on one-way tickets, but the OP does not indicate any elite status.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024

Originally Posted by ESpen36
There are various triggers that COULD prevent the OP from checking in online.

Here are some:

- itinerary ticketed very close to departure date
- one-way itinerary
- passport issued by one of five "unfriendly" countries as designated by DoS (see this)
- inconsistencies in SecureFlight or passport data entered into the PNR
- potential name matches to one or more of the watch lists (targeted SSSS)
- random SSSS (yes, it still does happen, though much less frequently than before)
Thanks for the through answer. Of the choices, only random SSSS could be possible. Looking forward to a wake me up grab from the TSA then tomorrow morning.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I have had such situations before on domestic and international flights. And I receive my boarding pass, and nothing happened. Sometimes the system just quirks. But yes, do allow for extra time just incase the dreaded SSSS comes up. Best of luck.

Last edited by Xero; Feb 12, 2011 at 5:51 am
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
There is no security risk difference between someone with a one way ticket than someone with a one way ticket.
Drug runners have been known to travel on one-way tickets. Another possible trigger is a cash purchase of the ticket.

It would not hurt to show up extra-early. I sure would.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
It's an award ticket. That should knock the threat level way down, even if it's a one-way. I doubt many terrorists have the patience to accumulate enough miles for a trip to Europe.

It may be something as simple as needing to see your passport.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
This will occasionally happen on international routing. You shouldn't have any problesms at the airport checking in. They probably need to scan your passport to get it into their system.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Drug runners have been known to travel on one-way tickets. Another possible trigger is a cash purchase of the ticket.

It would not hurt to show up extra-early. I sure would.
I can't imagine why drug runners would travel on one way tickets.
I also don't believe Washington to Frankfurt is a main drug route.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I flew for years with no problem and then early last year started having trouble with online and kiosk check-in. I had a close match (most likely explanation) and had to file for a redress number. It took about 2 months to figure out that it wasn't going to correct itself and another two months to go through the redress process. I have not had a problem with any airline since I got the letter from the TSA that really didn't say whether anything had been done.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
I hope it isn't due to a one way international flight booking.
There is no security risk difference between someone with a one way ticket than someone with a one way ticket. If terrorists are trying to save money on an international ticket, round trips usually cost less.
Back in my ex-pat days, I often had to check-in with an agent when flying from the US (country of citizenship) back to my country of residence. This wasn't a security issue, but rather due to visa rules - the country in question required all temporary visitors to have an onward or return ticket, so the airline wanted proof of my permanent residence (so that I wouldn't be refused entry and sent back to the US at airline expense).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.