Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Check in online (OLCI) for an international and/or a mixed carrier itinerary

OLCI may be inhibited for flights over 24 hours out.

OLCI may be inhibited for final destinations you must have a visa for.

OLCI may be inhibited by some other destinations, even when a visa is not necessary, e.g. Hong Kong.

OLCI may be inhibited when you have a mixed carrier itinerary or codeshare.

OLCI is not available at all airports.
Print Wikipost

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Thanks for the heads up. I just checked my reservation online and in the passenger information area, there was a warning for more information needed before we could travel. They were requiring emergency contact information and passport information. Once entered, I was informed ( under the summary heading) that 24 hour online check in would be available for us.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by beachfan
I think the issue is just related to Secure Flight. Shouldn't there be a button for OLCI even before 24 hours. None of my reservations have one, included one (ticketed) for February 1. (no upgrades).

I'm boned because Sunday I need to go on the airport list for my SWU and checkin time counts for SWUs.
For me, the OLCI button shows within 24 hrs of flight, but I receive an error to check in with an agent if my upgrade has already cleared. I can do OLCI just fine if my upgrade has not yet cleared. TravelPort and AA are working the issue, and I report to TravelPort each time I encounter the issue.

The lines at the counter are noticeably longer as a result, and the agent who checked me in at LAX this week was clearly as frustrated as I was... I'm hoping that my upgrades don't clear >24 hours before flight until this issue is fixed
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by beachfan
I think the issue is just related to Secure Flight. Shouldn't there be a button for OLCI even before 24 hours. None of my reservations have one, included one (ticketed) for February 1. (no upgrades).

I'm boned because Sunday I need to go on the airport list for my SWU and checkin time counts for SWUs.
I was able to check in on line after all, button appears at T-24 hours
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Mine didn't work yesterday either but I think it was because I had a JAL codeshare at the last leg.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Just as a follow-up I was never able to checkin online even a few hours before the international sector. The page reported the green tick I could checkin but in fact the button never materialised. The checkin agent said "Oh yes, that happens frequently with international legs". She didn't know why. Needless to say I missed the upgrade. Perhaps I wouldn't have got it anyway - I'll never know.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Just as a follow-up I was never able to checkin online even a few hours before the international sector. The page reported the green tick I could checkin but in fact the button never materialised. The checkin agent said "Oh yes, that happens frequently with international legs". She didn't know why. Needless to say I missed the upgrade. Perhaps I wouldn't have got it anyway - I'll never know.
Any destination that requires a Visa is not eligible for on-line check in. Don't beat yourself up trying.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:43 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
Thanks for the heads up. I just checked my reservation online and in the passenger information area, there was a warning for more information needed before we could travel. They were requiring emergency contact information and passport information. Once entered, I was informed ( under the summary heading) that 24 hour online check in would be available for us.
From the wording on aa.com, you can refuse to give emergency contact info, and your itn would still be OK; but you must take some action + or -.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Last week I had 3 domestic domestic legs culminating in DFW-LHR with a waitlisted SWU with the flight showing J1. My objective was to get to the top of the SWU wait list by having the earliest check in time with connection. But 24 hours before the first leg, I could not check in online. Web support said that it should be possible, so temporarily removed the wait listed SWU, which enabled me to check in - but only for the first 2 legs!

The AC agent for my initial departure was unable to check me in for the remaining legs, but the AC agent at the second airport had no problem (and did not understand why it could not have been done at the first airport).

Fortunately I was successful in getting to the top of the wait list, and got the only upgrade offered. ^
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I assume China requires a Visa. If so, you must check in with an agent. No OLCI or kiosk check in.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: new united nobody
oops posted in wrong forum.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
My experience traveling to Madrid last week was that online check-in was impossible if there was a VIP upgrade request waitlisted, but itins with cleared upgrades checked in fine.

I had two itineraries (one confirmed, one waitlisted) to compare (one mine, one a traveling companion).
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Upgrade request prevents online check-in for flights originating internationally

At least that is what I was told by AA Customer Service whom I called after the second of two recent occasions when I was able to check in online for the ex-US flight but not for the return flights originating in Europe (ex-ZRH, ex-MAD). In both cases, both directions, I had miles+copay upgrade requests pending that had not cleared. Apparently this does not affect the ex-US portion for US-based pax, only the ex-elsewhere flights.

Upgrades cleared at the airport going on one trip and returning on the other. Surprised to get any m+$ upgrades at the airport given what has been posted on FT and TB recently.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I've had repeated trouble checking in online for the RETURN segments on quick-turn MRs to MAD/FRA. When I check in at T-24 hours before the first flight, I get all the outbound boarding passes, but none of the return ones. I've also tried to reprint at the airport kiosks, and it simply will not generate the return boarding passes (departing Europe). Yes, yes, I know the AAngels have the ability to do it, but I'd rather not be questioned about my MRs or have my record flagged for unusual travel activity.

One thing I thought about doing was to wait to do OLCI as late as possible on the morning of departure (in order to be within T-24 hours of the first RETURN flight's departure time).

Does anybody know if it matters if I try to check in using the big red button in the email, vs. logging directly into AA.com and accessing the PNR from there? I seem to recall a discussion a while back that the "big red button" approach tended to be "cleaner" and yielded greater probability of success than logging in to AA.com.

(Note that I've had this problem with quick-turn MRs domestically too. For example, I do MRs to SFO a lot, and no matter how late I wait, I cannot print, reprint, or kiosk print the ex-SFO segment until I arrive at SFO. Yes, all my upgrades have cleared in advance.)
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by dia1
At least that is what I was told by AA Customer Service whom I called after the second of two recent occasions when I was able to check in online for the ex-US flight but not for the return flights originating in Europe (ex-ZRH, ex-MAD). In both cases, both directions, I had miles+copay upgrade requests pending that had not cleared. Apparently this does not affect the ex-US portion for US-based pax, only the ex-elsewhere flights.
I have been told this for SWU upgrades. So a week ago with a waitlisted SWU for LHR-ORD showing J2 the day before departure, I was pleasantly surprised to be able to check in at T-23:57. At the gate I was told there was no chance of an upgrade, as transfer pax had the seats and 2 people had checked in earlier than me (maybe FTers at T-23:59?).

I took my seat in coach, but the FA came back with my upgrade before the door shut.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Originally Posted by nbevan
I have been told this for SWU upgrades. So a week ago with a waitlisted SWU for LHR-ORD showing J2 the day before departure, I was pleasantly surprised to be able to check in at T-23:57. <snip>
That's good news! I sure hope this represents a general change in policy/procedure for all pending upgrade requests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.