Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Check in online (OLCI) for an international and/or a mixed carrier itinerary

OLCI may be inhibited for flights over 24 hours out.

OLCI may be inhibited for final destinations you must have a visa for.

OLCI may be inhibited by some other destinations, even when a visa is not necessary, e.g. Hong Kong.

OLCI may be inhibited when you have a mixed carrier itinerary or codeshare.

OLCI is not available at all airports.
Print Wikipost

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I’d allow a little bit more time. You probably got SSSS, you’ll need to go through a more through security screening. No biggie. I always seem to get it leaving CDG for some reason.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Or it could just be IT issues. Somethings I try aa.com if app fails and vice versa..
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by seawolf
Or it could just be IT issues. Somethings I try aa.com if app fails and vice versa..
App and aa.com were glitchy lately. Good advice as one will usually work when the other won't.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
What I believe this is about is the passport scan. AA wants to scan your passport at check-in so that at the gate you will board simply by face recognition.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:04 pm
dm

Programs: UA MM, DL MM
Originally Posted by tjcxx
What I believe this is about is the passport scan. AA wants to scan your passport at check-in so that at the gate you will board simply by face recognition.
This is what happened to me today. Unable to check-in on the website, but the app let me scan my passport and issued the boarding pass.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA
I had the same recently as well. DFW to LHR. App scanned my passport and still did not check in and could not check in on web. Didn't sweat it too much. I assumed SSSS. But when I checked in at the airport, no SSSS.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Help! I have what I think is a new wrinkle on the "can't check-in online" problem:

Flying GVA-LHR-PHX-RNO tomorrow. GVA-LHR is on BA, LHR-PHX and PHX-RNO on AA . This is the return of a round trip PNR and I already have assigned seats on all return segments. I was able to check-in via BA app to GVA-LHR without issue and got a boarding pass for that flight however neither the AA app or website will check me into my LHR-PHX and PHX-RNO segments.

Multiple calls to EXP desk and a painfully long call with AA web support did not fix the problem. They all say they can see me checked in for GVA-LHR but everything they (and I) try to get checked on on AA segments fails. At some point I upfared the PHX-RNO segment and one of the reps I spoke guessed that this may be causing the issue but they said that was just a guess.

I am being to advised to check-in at the gate when I get to LHR where I will arrive T5 and depart T3, but with only a1:40 layover there is a chance that by the time I take the shuttle, re-clear security and reach AA gate in T3 they will have given my seat away.

At my suggestion AA web support has noted in my record that I am having problems checking in and that the gate shouldn't give my seat away but chances of gate agent checking notes on my record before no-showing me seem slim.

AA has no flights from GVA so no AA check-in desk at GVA that I could use in advance. I may try to see if BA GVA check-in or lounge staff can fix but seems like they would have even less of a chance vs. AA EXP desk.

Anyone run into this problem or have ideas for fixing this prior to showing up at the T3 gate?
Old Jul 25, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Just to close the loop, I decided to go to GVA BA check-in desk night before (I am staying at a hotel nearby) as there was a late flight departing to LHR. I was lucky to get a very helpful check-in agent just before they shut down for the night. She said they have been having lots of problems with American not checking in people for a seeming variety of reasons and seemed dubious she could help but she offered to give it a try. She asked for my driver's license and entered my home address somewhere into my record (a first for me). A few key strokes later, and what do you know, all three boarding passes spit out and the AA boarding passes are now available in the AA app.

Anyway, if you run into a similar situation and can get to an airport check-in desk in advance of your flight it might do the trick for you too.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Anyway, if you run into a similar situation and can get to an airport check-in desk in advance of your flight it might do the trick for you too.
I'm glad it worked out for you. I've tried to go to the ticketing counter the day before as well, but I've never had any success getting boarding passes until showing up at the airline's ticketing desk on the day of travel. (And this has been for issues other than the SSSS.)
Old Aug 29, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Can anyone share how not being able to complete OLCI affects the upgrade list? Flying DFW-FCO tomorrow and though it’s unlikely looking at loads, I would like to be in the running. 😂
Old Aug 29, 2023, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by WalruSara
Can anyone share how not being able to complete OLCI affects the upgrade list?
Your ability to check-in doesn't affect the upgrade list.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
Your ability to check-in doesn't affect the upgrade list.
Interesting since I’m not showing on the upgrade list.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by WalruSara
Interesting since I’m not showing on the upgrade list.
You won't show up on the airport list until you check-in, but your position on the list will be the same regardless of whether you check in online right at T-24 or at the airport 2 hours prior.

FWIW both of today's DFW-FCO flights are showing J0, completely sold out up front, so if anybapce were to open up it won't be until right at the gate.
Majuki likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.