Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Garment Bag + Roller Flagship First / Business?

Old Aug 29, 2023, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.

Hi All,

Do you think I could get away with a garment bag as my personal item and a roller as my carry on? I'm traveling DFW-LHR in Flagship First with a CDG-DFW return in Business. The garment bag will exceed the personal item measurements but will they care? I really would prefer for my fits to be hanging if possible. I'm also going to have to declare excess value in my bags due to my clothing so trying to keep some of the value with me as the max excess value isn't enough.

Thoughts? Garment bag comes in at about 55 inches total.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MorganB
Hi All,

Do you think I could get away with a garment bag as my personal item and a roller as my carry on? I'm traveling DFW-LHR in Flagship First with a CDG-DFW return in Business. The garment bag will exceed the personal item measurements but will they care? I really would prefer for my fits to be hanging if possible. I'm also going to have to declare excess value in my bags due to my clothing so trying to keep some of the value with me as the max excess value isn't enough.

Thoughts? Garment bag comes in at about 55 inches total.
It depends on the gate agents, regardless of what any of us here think or say.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by FAA1996
It depends on the gate agents, regardless of what any of us here think or say.

Very true. The problem is the Eurostar from London to Paris as they don't have porter server and you cant use a trolly past passport control. I might pivot to two checked bags, one of which is a duffle I can sit on top of roller checked bag along with my roller carry on and back pack. Then I can spread the value of the garments out into two bags and declare 10k of value.

I can mange that on my own which is the requirement on the Eurostar. They used to have same day baggage delivery for Eurostar but they have done away with it.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 12:30 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
You will most likely be fine. Ive done this exact thing probably 4x and have never been denied.

I dont check bags but sometimes I have to bring one of my tuxedos to events.

they will probably even offer to hang your garment bag up for you in the closet.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: QR Gold, PA Lifetime Clipper Club
On one of my flights(domestic) last week a flight attendant brought on 3 roller bags- I had to give her a hand with 2. Good example for what to expect.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by bundubasher
On one of my flights(domestic) last week a flight attendant brought on 3 roller bags- I had to give her a hand with 2. Good example for what to expect.
Well, FAs can also bring more than 100ml of liquids through security, so if you are implying if FAs can bring it on board, then pax can do the same.

That said, in this scenario, I think the OP should be okay, unless the GA is really anal.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: QR Gold, PA Lifetime Clipper Club
I was looking at this from a different perspective. Over a period of 4 days, I took 10 different AA flights with 10 different crews and there was one thing that stood out. AA FAs don't do more then the bare minimum. 6 of my flights were in 1st or bus. They spent most of their time talking with each other. They certainly weren't about to bother anyone about anything when they aren't even acknowledging people boarding. How times have changed. And I have another 6 flights coming up with AA very soon.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
To be honest I'd probably be a little miffed if it was a domestic narrow bodied F cabin as your bags would probably render 2/3 of the bid instantly unusable but because you're in J on a heavy OSB space isn't remotely an issue. Just my $0.02.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by bundubasher
I was looking at this from a different perspective. Over a period of 4 days, I took 10 different AA flights with 10 different crews and there was one thing that stood out. AA FAs don't do more then the bare minimum. 6 of my flights were in 1st or bus. They spent most of their time talking with each other. They certainly weren't about to bother anyone about anything when they aren't even acknowledging people boarding. How times have changed. And I have another 6 flights coming up with AA very soon.
Ummm...you could have just posted the above instead about FAs bringing 3 pieces of carryons.

Also, GA takes care with bags quantity enforcement. Not FA.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
You probably will be fine 95% of the time but 5% of the time you might have an overzealous GA. You could probably help your cause by boarding with your group, but that probably wont stop the 5% of GAs that will turn it into an issue. I think those 5% lack any common sense, especially in F and even in J, but it is what it is.

A tangent, but once was in JL F with two small carryons and asked at check-in if that would be a problem. The response I got was "Sir, you are in F" which, while delivered kindly, made it feel like the question was borderline ridiculous. If only they fly AA!
BERGBRLY likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 9:08 pm

I do it all the time, you are always at the mercy of the ga but on the wide bodies there isn’t usually much of an issue with overhead so the gate agents don’t tend to care as much, I do try not to be too obvious but I have never been questioned, and since you can’t and don’t put anything under the seat in flagship first whatever you bring is going up top or in the closet and you almost always end up with your own overhead bin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.