Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
This is very very interesting as the SYD is among the toughest premium award space but never have seen them before open up space. Has this happened to anyone else or just an anomaly?
I am still wondering the same thing if this was an isolated case. Waiting to hear from others. Bueller?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:34 am
Suspended

Award Inventory Questions for QF

Hi,

I'm going to Australia (MEL) in early December returning late Dec or early Jan.

No trouble getting award tickets upto Dec 8th when the high season starts but no tickets at all available for return leg until mid Jan.

Is that typical?
Is it likely new inventory will be created?
I can fly out of SFO/LAX/RNO/SMF so any advise is much appreciated.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look at the Qantas awards thread.
<removed circular link post merge>
I believe trying to find award seats now for this Christmas period will be extremely difficult.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by inpd
I'm going to Australia (MEL) in early December returning late Dec or early Jan.

No trouble getting award tickets upto Dec 8th when the high season starts but no tickets at all available for return leg until mid Jan.

Is that typical?
I can fly out of SFO/LAX/RNO/SMF so any advise is much appreciated.
Users are asked to please find the correct thread before opening a new one. It just creates work for the volunteer moderators when this advice is not followed.

This has been merged.

~Moderator
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inpd
I'm hopping going to Australia (MEL) in early December returning late Dec or early Jan.

Is that typical?
You will have trouble buying a ticket for late Dec early Jan from Australia to USA. The airlines will be hoping to sell every seat at this time.
And remeber SYD is not the only airport in Australia. Domestic flights in Australia are frequent

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to Australia (most from LAX) are
- United [Star Alliance] (LAX SFO – SYD MEL)
- Qantas [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) (LAX JFK DFW HNL – SYD BNE MEL)
- Jetstar (HNL – SYD BNE)
- Delta [Skyteam Alliance] (VA & AS partner) (LAX – SYD)
- Virgin Australia (DL partner) (LAX – SYD BNE)
- Hawaiian, via Hawaii (AA & VA partner) (HNL – SYD)
- Air NZ, via AKL [Star Alliance]
- Fiji Airways, via Fiji (AA & AS partner)
- Air Tahiti Nui (last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
- Air Canada [Star Alliance]
And others via Asia & Middle East
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
So in February of 2016 I have a QF/AA/HA award. Will be in Australia for a week, going LAX-SYD in F on an A380 and that award was the whole reason I booked this trip in the first place was to fly in F on an A380, too good an opportunity to pass up. My final destination is Brisbane

I wanted to avoid economy class if I could, so on the way back I am booked in business class on Hawaiian from BNE-HNL, and AA first from HNL-DFW. Those are back to back redeyes and even in the front cabin I am not looking forward to it.

Should I change my flight to a more direct BNE-LAX flight? Even in Economy? I would have to pay an award change fee correct since I would be changing carriers and class of service?

What would you all prefer? Business on Hawaiian followed by first on AA, or Economy on Qantas the whole way?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:24 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

Any Skypesos, AMEX MR, or Chase UR points? Some good options on VA, KE, & even CZ to get back Feb 2016 for ~80k points.

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
So in February of 2016 I have a QF/AA/HA award. Will be in Australia for a week, going LAX-SYD in F on an A380 and that award was the whole reason I booked this trip in the first place was to fly in F on an A380, too good an opportunity to pass up. My final destination is Brisbane

I wanted to avoid economy class if I could, so on the way back I am booked in business class on Hawaiian from BNE-HNL, and AA first from HNL-DFW. Those are back to back redeyes and even in the front cabin I am not looking forward to it.

Should I change my flight to a more direct BNE-LAX flight? Even in Economy? I would have to pay an award change fee correct since I would be changing carriers and class of service?

What would you all prefer? Business on Hawaiian followed by first on AA, or Economy on Qantas the whole way?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by FlyGuy24
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
... I am just really pleasantly surprised really someone opened space in J on the A380 LAX-SYD flight on QF without me asking really as I was ready just to go into BNE and wait out the layover. I know QF is stingy on its award space especially the A380 so is this just plain lucky from the schedule change or something QF normally does in these situations where the schedule change causes the mis-connect that would have resulted in a lengthy wait.
This is very very interesting as the SYD is among the toughest premium award space but never have seen them before open up space. Has this happened to anyone else or just an anomaly?
I am still wondering the same thing if this was an isolated case. Waiting to hear from others. Bueller?
I would suggest it is a result of the schedule change as suggested. The policy is quite liberal ...

http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/info/201507/0718
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
A very positive update here from my AA award! Someone either at AA or QF took the awesome liberty from the schedule change I presume to change the flight to PHL-LAX-SYD-AKL on the A380 and then a perfect 90 min connection to Auckland in the afternoon instead of waiting 10 hours for the next flight out of Brisbane. I am just really pleasantly surprised really someone opened space in J on the A380 LAX-SYD flight on QF without me asking really as I was ready just to go into BNE and wait out the layover. I know QF is stingy on its award space especially the A380 so is this just plain lucky from the schedule change or something QF normally does in these situations where the schedule change causes the mis-connect that would have resulted in a lengthy wait.
I guess maybe they figure you played the lottery and won the first time...no need to force you to play it again?

I have some F space to SYD in mid march I need to drop. Anyone want it? PM quick
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:26 pm

AA award on QF metal - selecting seats?

I have booked LAX-SYD om Qantas metal using AA miles. I'd really like to select a seat now (travelling in Y, this is essential!), but, cannot see how to do this.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Call AA and/or QF.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Auscal
I have booked LAX-SYD om Qantas metal using AA miles. I'd really like to select a seat now (travelling in Y, this is essential!), but, cannot see how to do this.

Any suggestions?
Use your AA PNR on to login into manage booking on qantas.com. You can select your seats there.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Qantas 86ed QF17 and rebooked him in J on QF11 instead. Not a problem in itself, but that created a misconnect with QF142, which arrives after QF11's boarding is closed. AA took the initiative and rebooked him on the earlier QF140, which is fine--but for that trans-Tasman leg, they have him in Y. My brother has called AA a few times and they say they've done all they can, but QF just hasn't allowed a J seat on QF140 for them (ExpertFlyer shows it as U0, of course, but J9, so they do have the actual seats). Qantas won't even discuss it since it was ticketed by American.
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Does he have status with AA?

There is an AA oneworld liaison desk whose job oit is 'to fix things where we make a mistake or QF messes up'. QF cancelling a flight is 'QF messing up'

QF are dicks when it comes to opening awards, but they will do it if AA presses.

This needs to get escalated to the one world/qantas liaison desk... still might not work, but they are the ones to ask QF

GL

report back
Well, sure enough, brother kept calling and got a fat stack of nothing, but lo and behold when I called and explained the situation, the ticket went to "on request" immediately and bro was back in confirmed J within 48 hours of that. Could be serendipity (closer to departure and flight still shows J9 on ExpertFlyer), could be I explained the issue more effectively, could be OWS status is actually worth something even by proxy. Whatever it was, everybody's happy now. Thanks all for the advice!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by umaa83
Use your AA PNR on to login into manage booking on qantas.com. You can select your seats there.
Thankyou for the prompt responses.

I took the first advice, called AA, and (20 min later) spoke to a rep who was able to look at the seat plan and assigned me an "OK" seat. I then saw the above reply and logged onto the Qantas site. Unfortunately the entire seat plan is not visible for me, but, I could at least see the seat assigned by AA was showing.

Interestingly, I seem to avoided the $25 fee Qantas charges to select a seat. I am a little concerned that I may get reassigned later but, for now, will leave it how it stands.

If anyone happens to be on QF12 on Aug 16th and can access the seat plan, would love to get a PM from you :-)
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just canceled 2x J award tickets for JFK - LAX - BNE next March 6th all on QF.

Looks like they are already back in the system (they are showing on AA even though this was booked using AS miles). Hopefully someone on here can grab them and put them to use.

I'll be crossing my fingers for the same flights to open up later in the year since March 6th became unworkable after I booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.