Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
What time did it happen? like 4AM AST?
Right around then Sydney time.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
I guess I am late to this "party" - or the glitch was fixed.
I see (essentially) nothing in F for 2 LAX-MEL and very little DFW-SYD in J for many months.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Seats have been disappearing over the last few hours.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by Paulchili
I guess I am late to this "party" - or the glitch was fixed.
I see (essentially) nothing in F for 2 LAX-MEL for many months
When I was search just 30 minutes ago MEL-LAX-MEL had many days with 1 F seats - perhaps you need to book one day apart.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Just snagged an F seat DFW-SYD-DFW in June. This is amazing. Thank you to the OP who mentioned this.

I went to Australia in February and for 330 days monitored F availability on QF 7/8 and never saw any. That I got a ticket on hold in 10 minutes is amazing. Probably going to check out New Zealand this time around. Fall there should be lovely!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks saaveraward. Just booked two F seats on DFW-SYD-DFW for next April. ^
Go to MEL, or New Zealand, don't stay in SYD .
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Go to MEL, or New Zealand, don't stay in SYD .
Going to NZ at Christmas.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Going to NZ at Christmas.
Good call, I spent the last few days of 2014 and the first two days of this year in WLG , a bit quieter than SYD for NYE the year before . Hopefully you're spending a good while in NZ, it is worth every second.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Looking for/ getting proper credit for things in the FF information world is a tough one-- no one knows that much better than I.

That said, have to agree, saaveraward posted it here pretty early in the day and the blog canadiankilometers had it earlier than most, but I -think- saaveraward beat them to it here, so, a damn good find!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:52 pm

<redacted>

Guess I forgot to hit the sarcasm font earlier. I was joking.

Anyway, I responded to a gracious PM from a fellow member by saying, I had a EF alert go off in the middle of the night and made a quick reservation. It was the only seat open in the calendar.

I checked back a couple hours later purely to look around and BOOM, the whole calendar was purple!

Enough of us here check AA for availability on a daily basis so I figured before it went "viral" I'd post and at least try to give FTers some sort or notice before it dried up.

I have no idea who posts what and when on endless travel forums and blogs. I only interact in the communities I'm a part of. I'm sure I wasn't first to the Internet with this. No way I have that good dumb luck.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 28, 2015 at 8:35 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:16 pm

and status has changed to ticketed. SWEET!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
My apologies. Let me rephrase... Some of us have a life and don't scour various FT groups, then dozens of blogs all day long.

I found out from saaveraward and, as a result, he/she is my hero today.
Everyone wins when SFO777 books a First Class flight somewhere. Looking forward to the trip report already!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
If you subscribe to this thread, this is your lucky day. There's been a HUGE release of F seats on

LAX-MEL-LAX
DFW-SYD-DFW

Like largest in history. Including 2 seats on many flights.

If you've been looking for years, now's your shot. Good luck to all!
I wasn't able to jump in; a friend told me a couple of hours later.

I am happy others were able to take advantage of this.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Any way to get a seat assignment online if you were lucky enough to book today?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:14 am

After being frustrated that AA never opened any premium inventory on their new SYDLAX flight I just got 2 first class award tickets on the Qantas SYDDFW nonstop so now I don't feel too bad about not getting on the new AA flight. Thanks to all the advice in this forum!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.