Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please see AA: SPML - Special / Vegetarian Meals / VGML (consolidated) for the current thread.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA, United
I just remembered this thread and realize it is old but if it can help someone... they do offer Vegan (VGML) and Sea food for sure.

I always order the Vegan mean (no vegetarian option) and found it good everytime. I know they have seagood (can't remember the code) because one day it took 3 attempts from the FA to get my correct meal (how you can miss the right seat number twice is beyond my comprehension).

dC
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:14 pm

special meal details

While it is not spelled out clearly on AA's special meal page but indirectly it states that on flights to most Latin America cities (other the exceptions spelled out on that page), special meals are NOT available in ANY class.

When surprised by "beef or chicken" question, was informed that on AA flights of less than 6 hours, special meals are not offered in ANY class.

May be this is a known fact but I was bit ill-prepared for it.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That's why, for example, on the vegeterian dairy-ok special meal they always give margarine, not butter, and only fruit, not yogurt or cereal with milk, for breakfast.
I don't understand why they provide margarine that isn't actually vegan. If you read the ingredient list, it includes whey, which is a milk derivative.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Help!!! How I can get a special meal request for my sister

I need your help!! I'm trying to find a special meal request for my sister. She want a gluten free vegetarian. I'm trying to get on the entire AA.com, but it was not on it. Help!!!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by N830MH
I need your help!! I'm trying to find a special meal request for my sister. She want a gluten free vegetarian. I'm trying to get on the entire AA.com, but it was not on it. Help!!!
For us to help, we'll have to know more (route, class of service, at least). Only some AA flights offers SPML / special meal ordering, for instance.

But the Special Meals policy is on aa.com here. I searched aa.com for keywords Special Meals, and you can Google it to: American Airlines Special Meals will do the trick. That page shows which flights and classes of service offer SPML, what they are and how to request them.

On many flights SPML are not offered, the best way of making sure our dietary needs and preferences are met if the airline doesn't offer to is to take our own. They don't usually count against carry-on restrictions, but be careful of the liquids and gels TSA issues, of course.

Since AA and US haven't fully merged yet, I'll move this to the pre-merger forum for you.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 17, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
AA offers special meals only a select # of flights - so w/o specific flight information its hard to advise you. However, if the option for a special meal isn't showing up on aa.com, then I'm guessing she isn't on a flight that offers the special meal option.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:17 am

I always call in for special meals.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Definitely call, but I must recommend always supplying your own meal if you are not able/don't want to eat what may be normally catered. At a minimum, have a backup plan in case the catering gets screwed up. Remember, you are dealing with an airline.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Seriously doubt a gluten-free *vegetarian* meal will be in the offing, at least for hot meals. Haven't yet had the gluten-free on AA but on UA it invariably included an animal protein, save for cold (continental) breakfast. Second the advice about the backup plan.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
She want a gluten free vegetarian.
AA doesn't have a gluten-free vegetarian meal. Best to bring your own.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA offers, on those transcontinental and long haul international flights and classes where SPMLs are available, vegetarian or gluten-free. But the link in my post goes to the page on aa.com that explains all of that.

One problem with "just call" is that that may require a relay service or TTY/TDD number for that if one is speech or hearing impaired or deaf, not as convenient as reading first.

TDD (hearing & speech impaired) 1-800-543-1586

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 18, 2014 at 11:10 am
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
AA doesn't have a gluten-free vegetarian meal. Best to bring your own.
Right! I'll tell her right way. Thanks for your helps.

Please see AA: SPML - Special / Vegetarian Meals / VGML (consolidated) for the current thread.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 1, 2019 at 10:11 pm Reason: Insert moderator note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.