Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Segment Qualifiers: What is your Move for 2015?

View Poll Results: As EXP qualified by segments in 2014, in 2015 you expect to:
Qualify EXP by EQP or EQM
43.18%
Fly 120 (or more) segments
31.82%
Fly 60 or more segments for Platinum
20.45%
Fly / move loyalty to another airline
0%
Do something else (please post your intentions)
4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat

I can't seem to figure out how to create a poll, but I would be very interested in polling the EXP segment-qualifying community to see how they will respond to the new 120 segment threshold. Possible responses could be:
  • Achieve 120 segments to requalify
  • Continue to fly 100-120 segments and live with PLT
  • Reduce segments to ~60 and live with PLT instead of EXP
  • Reduce AA segments to ~0 (either by moving to another airline or exiting the travel game)
  • Requalify for EXP through EQP or EQM

Can anyone let me know how to set this up? Can this only be done by a mod?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Last year I crossed all three thresholds. This year it will be all about segments, but cutting it fairly close due to a long stretch of working from home (may even come up short). Next year? I will travel as I need to, but if it looks like things will be problematic to make goal on AA, I just might go for dual mid tier (just not sure of which carrier for 2nd place yet. DL has the best alternate pricing and routes, but I will have a head start with UA Silver due to Marriott status.)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
I think a mod would need to create an actual FT poll, but I just put one together here if people want to respond. You can choose 'other' and add your own response if you don't like the options I've included.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:16 am

I qualified on segments the past 2 years, but starting next year I'll switch to qualifying on EQMs.

I actually probably would have had to anyway--a lot of the good fares for segments I had been seeing have been going way up in price starting next year, but there's lots of places I can fly with good EQM ratios, and my job is changed in such a way I have a lot more chances to fly internationally than I used to. In total, I'm going to be moving from 100% domestic travel to qualify to 90% international, which is going to be a weird feeling.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
last year I qualified on all three tiers, but than again I did about 239K , this year qualified back in April on miles, for me, its always going to be miles. Next year will be the same, EQM
(99% of my trips are international, with a one stop connection )
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:48 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Being based in Austin, it should not be a problem as most of my travels go through DFW.

I'll end up with 146 segments this year based on what's already been ticketed.

I'll qualify on miles and points as well.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Because of my travel patterns, I'll switch from segments to miles. I had already given up on UA as a secondary program; this just puts the final nail in the coffin.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:05 am

I'm not sure I totally understand the rationale for increasing to 120 segments. 100 segments is a lot of flying, accepting that some may be short hops. Still, even if you assumed a fairly low number of $100 per segment that's still 10K or so in revenue and I'm sure that there are plenty of EXPs who qualify on miles for less than 10K in revenue to the airline. It does seem a little unfair to penalize segment qualifiers when EXP can be earned for less by those with different flying patterns.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
I always end up right around 100-110 and dont see any way I get to 120. Debating between just settling in as Platinum for 2016 or switching over to United to get their second from the top tier. Most of my flying is in TX so either airline can get me where I need to go, but United actually adds in Montana/Idaho which is a favorite for a family trip or two every year. I've just heard so many nightmare stories about them the last couple of years I am not sure I want to take the plunge.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
I actually wanted to fly less and utilize the non-stop return from LAX-SAT next year. It leaves an hour later and arrives 1.5 earlier than connecting through DFW.

This is where the new level hurts me, because I would not be able to afford losing those 6-7 segments and still qualify.

I have 104 segments on the board for next year, but for me personally, the biggest perk is the RDM's for our family of five to travel on. Splitting alliances just doesn't make a whole lot of sense because of this.

I will probably reach for it for one more year and then have to seriously evaluate how time, energy and effort it took to get there.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rikramer

...Can anyone let me know how to set this up? Can this only be done by a mod?
Ask and... Another member used the "Alert a moderator to this post" function (radio button that is a red-edged, white triangle with an exclamation point in the centre) to ask all forum moderators to tend to this.

/Moderator
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by onesocalkid
I actually wanted to fly less and utilize the non-stop return from LAX-SAT next year. It leaves an hour later and arrives 1.5 earlier than connecting through DFW.

This is where the new level hurts me, because I would not be able to afford losing those 6-7 segments and still qualify.

I have 104 segments on the board for next year, but for me personally, the biggest perk is the RDM's for our family of five to travel on. Splitting alliances just doesn't make a whole lot of sense because of this.

I will probably reach for it for one more year and then have to seriously evaluate how time, energy and effort it took to get there.
Im a similar boat, but it just means I'll need to take an extra trip by myself internationally for fun to qualify. 100 segments was fairly straightforward. 100k is close, but 120 segments... God I dont want to do that one again.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
IMO, the industry is making a collective decision that domestic only fliers, especially short/medium haul flyers, aren't worthy of the highest status levels unless we purchase FC. For instance, my travel patterns take me from AUS - BWI on a regular basis. I can fly that route every other week and in 2015 I won't qualify for EXP. Each of my trips involves 4 segments; you'd think that 25 round trips a year shows some extreme loyalty. In my case I'm dropping UA as a secondary program so I'll end up qualifying on miles due to the extra trips, but for the short haul intra-TX or intra-NE/SE flier, I see some migration to WN due to the increase. Again, I think the industry sees transcon and international as the be-all and end-all.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by swajames
I'm not sure I totally understand the rationale for increasing to 120 segments.
I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that US CP's need 120 segments to qualify.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Catbert10
IMO, the industry is making a collective decision that domestic only fliers, especially short/medium haul flyers, aren't worthy of the highest status levels unless we purchase FC. For instance, my travel patterns take me from AUS - BWI on a regular basis. I can fly that route every other week and in 2015 I won't qualify for EXP. Each of my trips involves 4 segments; you'd think that 25 round trips a year shows some extreme loyalty.

Again, I think the industry sees transcon and international as the be-all and end-all.
AUS-BWI-AUS can be had for less than $250 on AA. DL was explicit; UA was explicit. $5000 in pre-tax spending isn't worthy of top tier.

Your interpretation of the industry trend is quite turned on its head. DL, UA, WN and B6 as revenue-based programs will love high fare but short distance flyers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.