Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please see AA: SPML - Special / Vegetarian Meals / VGML (consolidated) for the current thread.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Delta Platinum Medallion,AMEX Plat,Hyatt GP Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Eliza
I recently booked a Business/First MileSAAver award (Z) from EWR to SJC via ORD and returning from SEA to EWR via DFW. I went with EWR instead of JFK because EWR is much closer to where I’m staying now. But because I misread the information on the AA web site, I didn’t realize that there are no special meals available on non-trans-continental domestic flights. I can only eat gluten-free food.* I didn’t have any problems getting gluten-free meals on BA or South African Airways or on an AA TATL, so I didn’t realize that it would be a problem with AA back home. Is there anything I can do to get a special meal on these flights? Or to get access to ingredient lists for AA’s standard offerings? Or is my best bet just to bring something along.

*While I was on a recent LONE5, I got very sick and had to break my trip and go home for medical tests and treatment. The result was a diagnosis of Celiac Disease and doctor’s orders to be on a strict gluten-free diet. I’m not allowed to eat anything that contains even a small amount of wheat, barley, rye, malt, or most oats, and I need to know the ingredients of everything I eat if it's not specifically designated as gluten-free.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For general information, see:

Wiki: Planes and Seats: Food and Beverages

AA.com: Special Meals

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
Eliza,

My girlfriend also needs to follow a gluten-free diet and she and I found out during a recent (a few weeks ago) flight from SFO to JFK that we could order a gluten-free meal option, so we did ... and it was waiting for us on our next SFO-JFK flight a few days later! We had breakfast on the way out & dinner on the way back and the meals were tasty!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: MR PremPlat, DL DM 1M, AA Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Ordering Special Meals

Hi AAers,

Does AA offer special meals (vegeterian, low-cal, etc) meals in FC? If so, can the request made thru the AA website or do I have to call into customer service.

Ordering a special meal is my way of insuring that I get the food that I want and not get caught in wrong side of FEBO services.

Thanks,
JR
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggest you enter "special meals" in the search box at www.aa.com
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:53 am

Ordering special meals does not ensure you get what you want - they don't always load what you order. Bring your own food if you want to make sure you get what you want.

Special meals in premium cabins are often lower quality than the regular choices, IME.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:20 pm
ts3

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, BAEC, SPG, UA, AF
I have a suggestion for the OP and anyone else needing a special diet: experiment with fasting. I quit eating breakfast a year ago, and thus only eat 2 meals a day, and I only eat between noon and 8 pm. This prepared me to try 24-36 hour fasts. I have recently experimented with eating only at dinner time, one day a week, which has become a fantastic option when traveling. No airline food to worry about, no airport food. On 10 legs from Missouri to Hawaii and interisland and back, I ate not one bite of of food and felt fantastic.

The only time I eat on an airline or at airport is when I can get excellent food. I had some great cheese on BA F LHR-DFW as well as some good veggies and a steak. Otherwise, water and mineral water fast for 24 hours and eat a large steak when at my destination. It has been a godsend for travel. My stomach is much happier these days.

I have done the AA gluten free meal DFW-LHR, and it was a disaster. I not only do gluten free but low carb for life-long digestive problems, and while the meal may have been gluten free, there was sugar a plenty. And not just a low carb but a normal carb person's sugar nightmare. The meal was not worth it by any stretch of the imagination. I would have been massively hypoglycemic had I eaten it. I instead ate only the cheese from the dessert selection and fasted the rest of the time.

If you don't want to fast and need to pack gluten free, Whole Paycheck has a great selection of gluten free items. Brown rice cereal, wheat free beef jerky, veggies, coconut, freeze dried veggies, dried fruit, all work. A few ziplocs and you are set for days.

My last domestic meals in F all had sauces that were very suspect. Don't eat them at all!! Wheat is everywhere in institutional food, even chain restaurants. Be careful. Good luck!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:44 am

the future of special meals?

I always make sure at check-in that my ticket has special meal listed. However this Feb when I checked in the attendant lectured at me for 5 minutes on how AA would no longer be offering ANY special meals because of the cost, etc.

I can't find any other information on this topic... Has anyone else heard something similar? Seems a little outrageous.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
I have celiac disease and travel with a bunch of snacks as well as hopes that airlines will get GF meals right on international trips. AA from JFK-MIL in coach came with respectable food, especially on the return.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yksmirk
I always make sure at check-in that my ticket has special meal listed. However this Feb when I checked in the attendant lectured at me for 5 minutes on how AA would no longer be offering ANY special meals because of the cost, etc.
That sounds a little ridiculous, especially when there's an ultra-simple solution: Insistute a fee* for ordering a special meal!

But at what sort of check-in was this? An overseas flight, or just a transcon?

Bringing your own food aboard is one thing on a transcon flight, but it's quite another on overseas flight with multiple food services, after you've transferred from another flight (perhaps a transcon itself). It's pretty hard to come up with meals that you pack in the morning on the west coast for use on the overseas flight you connect to on the east coast which starts that evening and ends the next morning, that will last all that time and yet be allowed through security. OTOH, at most airport concessions, it's hard to find a meal that will last for the bulk of, say, a 9 or 10 hours flight.

So it's one thing to say that if you want a meal on a transcon (where there's always only one meal service) that you bring it on board. It's quite another to say that for a true long haul overseas flight.

*Of course, I can just imagine the fee: It's the cost of moving you to a BA flight!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), DL PLT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
That sounds a little ridiculous, especially when there's an ultra-simple solution: Insistute a fee* for ordering a special meal!
I wonder if this is permissable under ADA.
Bringing your own food aboard is one thing on a transcon flight, but it's quite another on overseas flight with multiple food services, after you've transferred from another flight (perhaps a transcon itself). It's pretty hard to come up with meals that you pack in the morning on the west coast for use on the overseas flight you connect to on the east coast which starts that evening and ends the next morning, that will last all that time and yet be allowed through security.
I always bring some protein bars for my regular TALT+TCON flights. I have also brought pre-measured meal-replacement powder and a shaker cup to mix with milk (available on board). Just takes some planning.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My brother and his wife are booked in Business MIA-UIO and GYE-MIA. He's been trying to arrange a Gluten Free meal for her and has been getting conflicting answers on its availability. I tried to go to AA.com to check but it's down right now. Will they be offered on this flights? Thank you.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
SPML ("Special Meal") request and pending SWU upgrade

Does anyone know if a SPML request rolls over to the higher cabin once an upgrade is confirmed or do I need to re-request? Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
special meal, i presume?.....i would call when it clears.....it it clears at the gate, you should get the coach meal, but be sure to ask the fa when boarding....
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Definitely call if the upgrade clears -- not telling what SABRE will do with the meal request.

If it clears at the gate, take the advice of the above poster. Ask the FA when boarding. At least, they can retrieve your coach meal as your entree.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Does anyone know if a SPML request rolls over to the higher cabin once an upgrade is confirmed or do I need to re-request? Thanks
It does not rollover so you will definitely have to re-request it.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:22 am

Its not a request its confirmed

Isn't it funny how when you request a special meal it says Requested. Request means you are asking for a meal but you may not get it. Confirmed means you will definitely get the meal.

So if you are "requesting a special meal" you are not guaranteed that it will show up at your seat am I right? The agent says hold on while I get in confirmed so if its confirmed then am I guaranteed it?

Interesting terminology(:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.